Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon 6/5
Decided to try a different lake today and fish for some trout. Arrived around 7 am and was fishing by 730. Water is really high, nearing the spillway, but I doubt they will let it spill over. Tried for kokanee 1st but only caught small planter rainbows. Trolled all over, up Dixie hollow, west side by the dam, east side down past Taylor's and near the south campground. Not many fish marked. Switched to cranks 1/2 way through the morning and picked up a couple more planter bows, a 15 incher, then a 19 inch fat one that put on an aerial display that a tarpon would be proud of. We lost 2 other big bows and they acted the same, flying out of the water trying to shake the hook. 

Overall a slow day. Water clarity was great. Temp on arrival was a cool 43 degrees. Up to the mid 60's when we left. Didn't get a water temp, sorry didn't even think about it.

Interesting thing was the color of the cranks. I've done well in the past on natural colors, but not today. Chartreuse, bright perch, and purple drew all the attention and fish. No strikes on the natural colors at all. The perch one drew all the big fish hits.

[Image: 1000004318.jpg]

[Image: 1000004321.jpg]

[Image: 1000004329.jpg]

[Image: 1000004330.jpg]
Nice healthy fish.  I am thinking about taking my kids up there this weekend to troll around.  I have never fished it.  Any tips on where to start?  Also were you using down riggers or just flat line trolling?
(06-06-2023, 03:38 AM)Wells Wrote: Nice healthy fish.  I am thinking about taking my kids up there this weekend to troll around.  I have never fished it.  Any tips on where to start?  Also were you using down riggers or just flat line trolling?

We did the best on the south end past the buoy line. We flat lined and used the riggers. We only set the riggers at 10 and 15 ft deep. The cranks I run dive about 8-12 ft. Caught fish both ways.
Good to hear EC is still cranking out a few decent bows, thanks for sharing your report and pics. Is the debris mainly by the dam or pretty much all over the lake?
(06-06-2023, 01:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good to hear EC is still cranking out a few decent bows, thanks for sharing your report and pics. Is the debris mainly by the dam or pretty much all over the lake?

There was a lot more by the dam and up in Dixie hollow. Not bad on the south end.
(06-06-2023, 03:29 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 01:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good to hear EC is still cranking out a few decent bows, thanks for sharing your report and pics. Is the debris mainly by the dam or pretty much all over the lake?

There was a lot more by the dam and up in Dixie hollow. Not bad on the south end.

OK, thanks for the info.