Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Aggressiveness - Article
Thought I would share a LINK TO ARTICLE on fish aggressiveness in the Idaho Statesman.  It explains why fish like perch can be so aggressive...or hit large lures at times.
Great read Pat. I have seen the videos of ducklings getting chomped by a largemouth. But never witnessed it in person. I have seen a mouse get slurpped though
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-05-2023, 02:09 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Thought I would share a LINK TO ARTICLE on fish aggressiveness in the Idaho Statesman.  It explains why fish like perch can be so aggressive...or hit large lures at times.

Makes sense to me Pat. I had a walleye hit so hard yesterday, when I landed the 18 incher, the paddle tail swimbait I was using was way down its throat. Walleye are perch's cousin so they can be so aggressive.  It actually came up and crushed it as I was speeding up my lure getting ready to cast again. It sure is fun when you feel the walleye strike, versus the was that a hit type of bite. 
Gabe
(06-06-2023, 01:15 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(06-05-2023, 02:09 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Thought I would share a LINK TO ARTICLE on fish aggressiveness in the Idaho Statesman.  It explains why fish like perch can be so aggressive...or hit large lures at times.

Makes sense to me Pat. I had a walleye hit so hard yesterday, when I landed the 18 incher, the paddle tail swimbait I was using was way down its throat. Walleye are perch's cousin so they can be so aggressive.  It actually came up and crushed it as I was speeding up my lure getting ready to cast again. It sure is fun when you feel the walleye strike, versus the was that a hit type of bite. 
Gabe
Always more exciting when you feel that "walleye thump" kind of strike instead of just having to guess whenever there is a change in the force.  Sometimes they just swim up behind it and suck it in...like a crappie.  But when they are on the chew they can be vicious.  I have had times at Starvation when reeling in a lure to make a new cast that I looked down in the water to see a walleye chasing the lure up off the bottom.  Sometimes they chomp if you stop it, but usually not.  And last year on Willard I actually had a big walleye come up and swirl on the surface behind my whirly crawler rig just as I was lifting it out of the water.

Most guys who fish crawler rigs are used to having fish nip off the very ends of their crawlers without getting the hook.  And it is less common to catch them on the upper hook of a two hook crawler rig.  But here is a picture of a greedy gulper walleye that slurped up my whole whirly flig crawler rig.  He was one of the "active" ones.  And another that slurped down a white marabou dressed pony jigs.  
[Image: GULP.jpg]   [Image: SAY-AAAAHHHH.jpg]