Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Collapse
What is your assessment of Flaming Gorge fishery? Not only is it happening there but at the popular Strawberry. I went to the Gorge 2wks ago, launched at Lucerne and headed north of the pipeline. I fish a lot of the Anvil area where I always had some success targeting kokanee. My fishfinder didn't show much with exception of an occasional loner. I ventured to Wildhorse where I found an abundant of fish throughout the water column out away from shoreline in shallow water, lots of trout, no love no takers. After I was done, Wyoming F&G was waiting at the top of the launch ramp taking a survey in Utah??? I agree partly of what is in link which is not very much explanation. However, not mentioning the illegal transfer of fish (Burbot) is a partial cause or the management of the fishery won't be a subject since doing wrong is not in their forte. Utah can be referred into this as well.

'A collapse in fishery': Annual Hell on Reels is canceled | Environment | wyomingnews.com
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(06-09-2023, 01:32 PM)Bduck Wrote: What is your assessment of Flaming Gorge fishery?
That's easy Roger; it sucks this year!  Checking out social media and websites like BFT, we are seeing the same reports over and over again.  Fishing is SLOW.  Slower this year than last year, and last year was slower than 2021.  There is an overabundance of theories on what the causes are including the Feds are mismanaging the reservoir, the Wyoming & Utah aquatic managers are mismanaging the reservoir, there are too many anglers using the resource, and there is too much C&R of kokanee when it is a known fact that C&R on kokanee will result in a 30 to 40 percent kill rate of the released fish, to name a few.  I'm in the camp of too many anglers and WAY to much C&R of kokanee to brag about your angling prowess in catching 50 or more kokanee in a day.

And another contributing factor are the anglers that violate possession limits.  We have either done this ourselves or know several anglers who do this.  The Utah folks that actually live in Manila or close enough to the Gorge to sleep in their home of residence every night can catch a limit every day and legally keep them in their home freezer.  If we are in the vast majority of anglers that are motelling it or staying in an RV near the Gorge, then we/they can only legally possess a two day limit of kokanee.  If you are staying in Wyoming, your possession is only a one day limit of kokanee.

Flaming Gorge Dam was completed in 1962 as part of the Colorado River Storage Project, a Bureau of Reclamation project to regulate the flow and provide water for the arid Southwest as well as power generation.  It didn't encompass recreation until 1968.  Recreation (fishing) was not, is not, and won't ever be the primary purpose of the venue.

Hey, you asked for my assessment.  Well, that's my assessment and I'm sticking to it.     Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
So, has there been a great decrease in the the numbers of fisherman and their days fishing at FG and Strawberry? And if so, has the local economy suffered as well as game and fish revenue? Maybe they just start to cater even more to the power squadrons to make up for any lost $
(06-09-2023, 02:49 PM)dubob Wrote:
(06-09-2023, 01:32 PM)Bduck Wrote: What is your assessment of Flaming Gorge fishery?
That's easy Roger; it sucks this year!  Checking out social media and websites like BFT, we are seeing the same reports over and over again.  Fishing is SLOW.  Slower this year than last year, and last year was slower than 2021.  There is an overabundance of theories on what the causes are including the Feds are mismanaging the reservoir, the Wyoming & Utah aquatic managers are mismanaging the reservoir, there are too many anglers using the resource, and there is too much C&R of kokanee when it is a known fact that C&R on kokanee will result in a 30 to 40 percent kill rate of the released fish, to name a few.  I'm in the camp of too many anglers and WAY to much C&R of kokanee to brag about your angling prowess in catching 50 or more kokanee in a day.

And another contributing factor are the anglers that violate possession limits.  We have either done this ourselves or know several anglers who do this.  The Utah folks that actually live in Manila or close enough to the Gorge to sleep in their home of residence every night can catch a limit every day and legally keep them in their home freezer.  If we are in the vast majority of anglers that are motelling it or staying in an RV near the Gorge, then we/they can only legally possess a two day limit of kokanee.  If you are staying in Wyoming, your possession is only a one day limit of kokanee.

Flaming Gorge Dam was completed in 1962 as part of the Colorado River Storage Project, a Bureau of Reclamation project to regulate the flow and provide water for the arid Southwest as well as power generation.  It didn't encompass recreation until 1968.  Recreation (fishing) was not, is not, and won't ever be the primary purpose of the venue.

Hey, you asked for my assessment.  Well, that's my assessment and I'm sticking to it.     Big Grin

Other than the to many anglers I think you have hit on the problems.  There are not "to many" anglers on the lake.  The thing is 70 miles long and 3 hours from a major city with not much in between.  There are to many anglers on Rockport, East Canyon, Deer Creek, they get to many anglers.
I agree that freezer filling by locals is not right. They need to go back to "prepared for consumption".  Meaning if you don't eat your fish frozen, they are not "prepared for consumption".
I agree Burbot are having an impact.  They said they would and they are.  Forage for other species is down, not just Kokanee. Recruitment is down due to the predation by burbot. The drought may have had an effect.
I’m not trying to be that guy. Is there any chance that the fishing has changed because the water levels have changed? Fish are scattered. Was at strawberry today and had 30+ cuts and 2 kokes. Had to work to find em but I only spent 2.5 hrs. I watched a seminar and one of the prominent guides at Strawberry said the birds take home more fish than all of the humans do all year.
Thanks Bob, I only touched on a little but do agree with your assessment. Utah just put out their survey request of what can change at fisheries. I feel the Strawberry slot limit on cutts is to vass which should be narrowed from the 7" spread. Its C&R every time I go there, the lake is overrun with cutts. Samething is going on at Lost Creek with the slot limit, its only a matter of time there. I also mentioned kokanee limit should be separate which should not be included in trout limit, other western states have done this. I'm good with the current limit of kokanee that is in place with the different lakes.  
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(06-10-2023, 03:42 PM)Bduck Wrote: Thanks Bob, I only touched on a little but do agree with your assessment. Utah just put out their survey request of what can change at fisheries. I feel the Strawberry slot limit on cutts is to vass which should be narrowed from the 7" spread. Its C&R every time I go there, the lake is overrun with cutts. Samething is going on at Lost Creek with the slot limit, its only a matter of time there. I also mentioned kokanee limit should be separate which should not be included in trout limit, other western states have done this. I'm good with the current limit of kokanee that is in place with the different lakes.  

And, anyone with an IQ higher than ten should be allowed to fillet Kokes at Strawberry.
Instead of dumbing down anglers, let’s make them smarter.
(06-09-2023, 11:50 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: There are not "to many" anglers on the lake.
I have to very respectfully disagree.  My judgement in this regard is based on my own experiences in fishing the 'Gorge'.  I make 5 or 6 trips of 3 to 5 days each and always fish Monday through Friday; never on weekends or holidays.  I use the Buckboard, Lucerne, and Sheep Creek launch ramps.  The parking lots at these ramps are ALWAYS 1/2 to 3/4 full and the fishing areas associated with these ramps (+/- 5 miles from the ramps) are combat fishing zones on almost every trip.  It is not uncommon to see 30 to 50 boats fishing 1 to 2 square mile areas at times.  To me, that is 'too many'.  If you disagree, I can respect that.   Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(06-11-2023, 03:37 AM)dubob Wrote:
(06-09-2023, 11:50 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: There are not "to many" anglers on the lake.
I have to very respectfully disagree.  My judgement in this regard is based on my own experiences in fishing the 'Gorge'.  I make 5 or 6 trips of 3 to 5 days each and always fish Monday through Friday; never on weekends or holidays.  I use the Buckboard, Lucerne, and Sheep Creek launch ramps.  The parking lots at these ramps are ALWAYS 1/2 to 3/4 full and the fishing areas associated with these ramps (+/- 5 miles from the ramps) are combat fishing zones on almost every trip.  It is not uncommon to see 30 to 50 boats fishing 1 to 2 square mile areas at times.  To me, that is 'too many'.  If you disagree, I can respect that.   Smile
It does suck when you find yourself in the middle of a combat zone during the week. I stay away from lakes also on weekends, the size of the lake never shrinks down but does get smaller with a population. Vacationing away from the hustle and bustle of urban life & work for a few days is one thing was the norm in my day, now after earning my retirement those days are gone as the populas doesn't work anymore. I often wonder "did I go wrong?" Not at all, I've had a taste of being out on a lake in the middle of the week with 1 of 2 other boats.  
Harrisville UT
As the human population expands so does the people who fish. The Kokanee popularity has exponentially increased. Until fairly recently the only two reservoirs to hold Kokanee were the Gorge and Strawberry. East Canyon at one time held a small population of Kokes but that was way back in the 50's & 60's and it died off. The pressure on the Gorge and Strawberry to fish strickley for Kokes has gotten to the point that the population has taken a beating. I only fish weekdays and even then, some days the parking lots fill up with trucks and boat trailers. I also think that Covid had something to do with the amount of people fishing. People were not going in to work and consequently more fish days were had. The downturn of the Koke populations coincides with the dates of Covid. I don't fish the Gorge but I do fish Strawberry and have been fishing it way before it was enlarged (my parents had a cabin at Clarks Camp) and I think Strawberry gets fished to death. Too much pressure.
(06-11-2023, 02:25 PM)lovetofish Wrote: As the human population expands so does the people who fish. The Kokanee popularity has exponentially increased. Until fairly recently the only two reservoirs to hold Kokanee were the Gorge and Strawberry. East Canyon at one time held a small population of Kokes but that was way back in the 50's & 60's and it died off. The pressure on the Gorge and Strawberry to fish strickley for Kokes has gotten to the point that the population has taken a beating. I only fish weekdays and even then, some days the parking lots fill up with trucks and boat trailers. I also think that Covid had something to do with the amount of people fishing. People were not going in to work and consequently more fish days were had. The downturn of the Koke populations coincides with the dates of Covid. I don't fish the Gorge but I do fish Strawberry and have been fishing it way before it was enlarged (my parents had a cabin at Clarks Camp) and I think Strawberry gets fished to death. Too much pressure.

Scofield had kokanee in the 60s.
I say amen Bob.
(06-09-2023, 01:32 PM)Bduck Wrote: What is your assessment of Flaming Gorge fishery? Not only is it happening there but at the popular Strawberry. I went to the Gorge 2wks ago, launched at Lucerne and headed north of the pipeline. I fish a lot of the Anvil area where I always had some success targeting kokanee. My fishfinder didn't show much with exception of an occasional loner. I ventured to Wildhorse where I found an abundant of fish throughout the water column out away from shoreline in shallow water, lots of trout, no love no takers. After I was done, Wyoming F&G was waiting at the top of the launch ramp taking a survey in Utah??? I agree partly of what is in link which is not very much explanation. However, not mentioning the illegal transfer of fish (Burbot) is a partial cause or the management of the fishery won't be a subject since doing wrong is not in their forte. Utah can be referred into this as well.

'A collapse in fishery': Annual Hell on Reels is canceled | Environment | wyomingnews.com

I watched Adam Eakle last night and they did a show about the problem at the Gorge is too many small lake trout that are decimating the kokanee population, they may have to go to netting the macs because the fisherman arent removing enough of the small macs.
(06-11-2023, 06:49 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(06-09-2023, 01:32 PM)Bduck Wrote: What is your assessment of Flaming Gorge fishery? Not only is it happening there but at the popular Strawberry. I went to the Gorge 2wks ago, launched at Lucerne and headed north of the pipeline. I fish a lot of the Anvil area where I always had some success targeting kokanee. My fishfinder didn't show much with exception of an occasional loner. I ventured to Wildhorse where I found an abundant of fish throughout the water column out away from shoreline in shallow water, lots of trout, no love no takers. After I was done, Wyoming F&G was waiting at the top of the launch ramp taking a survey in Utah??? I agree partly of what is in link which is not very much explanation. However, not mentioning the illegal transfer of fish (Burbot) is a partial cause or the management of the fishery won't be a subject since doing wrong is not in their forte. Utah can be referred into this as well.

I watched Adam Eakle last night and they did a show about the problem at the Gorge is too many small lake trout that are decimating the kokanee population, they may have to go to netting the macs because the fisherman arent removing enough of the small macs.
I realized the Gorge became fame for its lake trout & German brown size in the early stages of its existence. There is a "no limit & must kill" regulation put on burbot, the regs can be modified to eradicate some of the lake trout. Another "must kill" in place serves Yellowstone Lake for lake trout that was illegally intro.
Harrisville UT
"WAY to much C&R of kokanee to brag about your angling prowess in catching 50 or more kokanee in a day."

There are many contributing factors, but this right here needs to stop immediately. Keep the first four you catch and go bang on some laker pups. Mortality rate is extremely high on released kokes. If your catching small ones, move.
(06-11-2023, 06:49 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:

I have been watching this thread like a hawk!  I haven't been out on the boat this year targeting Kokanee at FG, but I have been shore fishing for anything that would bite.  Fished near Buckboard, Holmes Crossing, and Sheep Creek.  Each time, I was either skunked or caught only one fish (15" Rainbow).  We were fishing with worms + marshmallows off the bottom and then I was throwing nearly every piece of hardware in my tackle box...  

When we get the boat out, I would be happy to target pups rather than kokanee.  Any advice on what to do differently or where to go?  We have a 17' Hewes craft with downriggers and all the fixins for Kokanee fishing... we generally fish around 30-60 feet in the 'combat fishing' zones near Buckboard.  Even with this setup, we would occasionally catch a pup (and keep it).    

P.S. Who catches 50+ Kokanee a day??  I want to talk to them Smile  The last few years, we considered it a great day to catch 5 or 6 between the four of us...
(06-12-2023, 04:17 PM)RavenBlackbird Wrote: I have been watching this thread like a hawk!  I haven't been out on the boat this year targeting Kokanee at FG, but I have been shore fishing for anything that would bite.  Fished near Buckboard, Holmes Crossing, and Sheep Creek.  Each time, I was either skunked or caught only one fish (15" Rainbow).  We were fishing with worms + marshmallows off the bottom and then I was throwing nearly every piece of hardware in my tackle box...  

When we get the boat out, I would be happy to target pups rather than kokanee.  Any advice on what to do differently or where to go?  We have a 17' Hewes craft with downriggers and all the fixins for Kokanee fishing... we generally fish around 30-60 feet in the 'combat fishing' zones near Buckboard.  Even with this setup, we would occasionally catch a pup (and keep it).    

P.S. Who catches 50+ Kokanee a day??  I want to talk to them Smile  The last few years, we considered it a great day to catch 5 or 6 between the four of us...

When the koke numbers were up, it was not unusual for tournament anglers to catch that many and more in a two day event but that all changed with the downturn in the fishery. 
As far as a member to talk to about a location, hopefully someone will respond to your post but in the mean time you could send a email to three members that know the Gorge well. Ryno, fstop2 and Tarponjim.

You fish the G more than I do.  I prefer the bottom end and launch from Mustang for about 5 days a year.  Parking lots are meant to be almost full. that is for 2 reasons, building a parking lot that is bigger than needed is a waste and in the specific size of lot that was decided on, maximum capacity of the surrounding area was considered.  Of course, the areas close to the ramps are crowded, they are close to the ramps. 
That said, 50 boats in 2 sq miles is crowded.  I would agree, to crowded.  I would not fish there.  
I also saw a news blurb about fewer Kokanee being stocked due to a hatchery misfortune. That will not make a difference last year, this and maybe the next, but is expected.
I think the pup lake trout and burbot predation is  a considerable factor
I've never heard of anyone catching burbot in open water, just through the ice. Can they be caught in the summer?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(06-14-2023, 05:09 PM)catchinon Wrote: I've never heard of anyone catching burbot in open water, just through the ice. Can they be caught in the summer?

I've caught them in open water.  From what I understand it's not as easy to find them in open water, but I'm no expert