Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 6/8
Snuck away from work early and got a quick afternoon trip on Willard. There was a good storm that rolled through when we got there around 3:00. We got a burger at Maddox drive thru and waited it out. Launched around 4:30 a little skeptical after the storm rolled through. My son had a wiper on within 5 minutes of launching. Unfortunately it was the first trip on my dads boat this year and he forgot the net. We tried to land it by hand but it broke the line. Fished until 8:30 and landed two wipers and two walleyes. We caught the wipers bouncing worms off the bottom and the walleyes were caught on a #5 flicker shad. It was good to get out and catch a few fish and have some for dinner tonight.
(06-09-2023, 01:16 PM)one-last-cast Wrote: Snuck away from work early and got a quick afternoon trip on Willard. There was a good storm that rolled through when we got there around 3:00. We got a burger at Maddox drive thru and waited it out. Launched around 4:30 a little skeptical after the storm rolled through. My son had a wiper on within 5 minutes of launching. Unfortunately it was the first trip on my dads boat this year and he forgot the net. We tried to land it by hand but it broke the line. Fished until 8:30 and landed two wipers and two walleyes. We caught the wipers bouncing worms off the bottom and the walleyes were caught on a #5 flicker shad. It was good to get out and catch a few fish and have some for dinner tonight.

Thanks for the report, too bad about the net, I can't imagine trying to land a wiper without a net, especially a big one. Glad you guys got a few after that storm. Did you launch from the South or North marina?
We were up there yesterday, too, and struggled. We only boated 6 walleye, and only kept two 18 inchers. Lots of small fish this year, I think releasing the small ones are good for next year.

We got caught out in that storm, probably the worst I've been in. 3' wind waves with breakers. Trying to go fast would have buried my bow, another example of maxing out your hull's horsepower not being of benefit when things get semi-ugly. I kept the bow pointed into the wind, lots of spray over the top and just a bit of green water over the bow once. After it calmed down I was ready to fish but my buddy had had enough. Another day!
Single main, no kicker. Wink
We launched from the North Marina. I cant imagine being on the lake in that storm. Luckily it blew past pretty quick. One walleye we caught was a 18 incher and the other was small. Paddler glad you caught some before the storm. What were you catching the eyes on in the morning?
(06-09-2023, 05:30 PM)one-last-cast Wrote: We launched from the North Marina. I cant imagine being on the lake in that storm. Luckily it blew past pretty quick. One walleye we caught was a 18 incher and the other was small. Paddler glad you caught some before the storm. What were you catching the eyes on in the morning?

I actually forget, but I think they came on SR7s.  Sorry, I don't remember colors as we tried so many different crankbaits.

The storm was remarkable, probably 30+MPH sustained plus higher gusts.  I trimmed the engine up to keep the bow up to prevent taking green water over the bow.  For quite some time we could only make 4MPH, heading straight into the wind waves to get in closer to the south dike so that the fetch would be less.  I didn't dare get sideways to the swells as swamping would be a concern.  Funny, I didn't see any others boats out at the time.

The only other time I've been caught out like that was 20 miles offshore out over the edge of the continental shelf out of La Push, Washington.  That was the first and only time I told my buddy to get the PLB out of the glove box and put it on.  That squall lasted maybe 30 minutes, after it passed we put another tuna or two in the boat.
Single main, no kicker. Wink