Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube flipper questions
I’m in the market for some new float tube flippers. My pair is about 15 years old and am overdue for a new pair. 
Thought I would ask fellow fisherman if they have a preference on which flippers are the best. Here is an image of my set up 
[Image: PXL-20220709-183531217-Original.jpg]
Colorado 10’ pontoon. 
Poppin bass at pelican lol. 
I’m hoping for tips on which flippers you’ve had success with. I won’t be wearing waders with them.
(06-09-2023, 06:15 PM)filletedalive Wrote: I’m in the market for some new float tube flippers. My pair is about 15 years old and am overdue for a new pair. 
Thought I would ask fellow fisherman if they have a preference on which flippers are the best. Here is an image of my set up 
[Image: PXL-20220709-183531217-Original.jpg]
Colorado 10’ pontoon. 
Poppin bass at pelican lol. 
I’m hoping for tips on which flippers you’ve had success with. I won’t be wearing waders with them.
I've been float tubing for over 60 years now, and have tried just about everything to hit the market...finwise.  Just like most other things to do with fishing, your choice of fins should be based on what you really need and not on a manufacturer's hype.  And it's the same old Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing with fellow float tubers.   We all have our own opinions...and nobody is all wrong or all right. 

Since you fish from a 'toon, you probably use your fins mostly for positioning and short moves...not making long kicks to get somewhere else.  That's what the oars (or a motor) are for.  So almost any fins will work...as long as they are the right size and are comfortable on your feet...and don't cramp your legs after a lot of use. 

These days there are a lot more choices in fins.  Some are made or sold by float tube companies especially for tubing.  That doesn't mean they will be the best.  Then there are the Force Fins...made for divers but favored by a lot of tubers and tooners.  I never liked them myself.  I prefer diving fins with adjustable straps and soft foot pockets that allow for adding more layers in cold weather but can be adjusted for any seasonal changes.  And then there's the budget.  You don't have to spend the most to get good serviceable fins.  But you might be unhappy if you spend too little just to save a buck.  For quite a few years I have been using a couple of different models made by Mares Diving Fins.  But there are a lot of good options available in dive shops and online.  One of my fave online dive suppliers is Scuba Pro  HERE IS A LINK

I am attaching a PDF writeup on Fins from the CD book I wrote a few years ago.  Hopefully you will find some useable stuff in it.

Attached Files
.pdf   SWIM FINS.pdf (Size: 411.22 KB / Downloads: 9)
Good stuff. I’ll look through this for sure. I prefer the full foot style that you just slip on your bare feet during the tubing months. Last year I just felt like the ones I had were not moving the big pontoon like they used too. Maybe my legs aren’t as tuberized as they used to be.
(06-09-2023, 10:26 PM)filletedalive Wrote: Good stuff. I’ll look through this for sure. I prefer the full foot style that you just slip on your bare feet during the tubing months. Last year I just felt like the ones I had were not moving the big pontoon like they used too. Maybe my legs aren’t as tuberized as they used to be.
If you will always be fishing waderless, the full foot fins are fine.  But for guys like me that tube year round...and in some cold conditions...you need the adjustability of straps.  Again, it's always a matter of personal preference.  And don't start making references to declining "tuberability" as we get older.  I resemble that remark.
I have not put a trolling motor on yet. But someday it will be there.
Pat has already given you some great information to help make your decision.  I have used the Force fins for close to 20 years and I have been happy with them.  If your wet wading all the time you would not need the adjustable fins, that would save you some money.

I would say the most important thing to consider is not to get a wimpy pair of fins.  The times when you really need to put the torque to them (windy  conditions) they will fold up on you and leave blowing in the wind. Angry