Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon are biting
Last Thursday, Don, Randy and I made a one-day sturgeon trip.  We found that the sturgeon were willing (along with two carp) and we were able to land 26 sturgeon.  Yesterday, I took Kory and his father, who is visiting from out of state, for a one-day sturgeon trip.  The bite was even better and we were fortunate to land 39 sturgeon, before we got drenched in an extremely heavy downpour.  

The largest fish we caught were two 6'3" sturgeon.  It was surprising how many small ones that we caught, but even a three-foot sturgeon puts up an amazing fight, often with several aerial jumps.

Fun trips with great people.
Wow! Sounds like there are enough young ones that some that could be exported to other areas.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(06-13-2023, 07:05 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Wow! Sounds like there are enough young ones that some that could be exported to other areas.

All of the sturgeon, in that area, have been planted, so they likely aren't interested in moving any of them.  As you know, that area is fished heavily and they probably have to keep it well stocked (even though sturgeon can't be legally harvested anywhere in Idaho).
Thanks for the two reports Kent, sounds like they were short but very productive days. Would I be correct to assume this area is not where we use to fish for sturgeon?
With catching that many fish a day when are you getting time to relax? ?
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(06-13-2023, 09:27 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the two reports Kent, sounds like they were short but very productive days. Would I be correct to assume this area is not where we use to fish for sturgeon?

Yes, you would be correct in assuming that.  Unfortunately, catching has gotten difficult where we used to fish.  The quality isn't as good, in the new area, but it beats catching the local fish.

(06-13-2023, 09:39 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: With catching that many fish a day when are you getting time to relax? ?

That is my idea of relaxation! Smile
(06-13-2023, 04:28 PM)Kent Wrote: The largest fish we caught were two 6'3" sturgeon.  It was surprising how many small ones that we caught, but even a three-foot sturgeon puts up an amazing fight, often with several aerial jumps.

Isn't  a 6 footer over 100 lbs? Do you still have that video of that big one that came out of the water all those years ago?
(06-13-2023, 11:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-13-2023, 04:28 PM)Kent Wrote: The largest fish we caught were two 6'3" sturgeon.  It was surprising how many small ones that we caught, but even a three-foot sturgeon puts up an amazing fight, often with several aerial jumps.

Isn't  a 6 footer over 100 lbs? Do you still have that video of that big one that came out of the water all those years ago?

Yes, a 6 footer would weigh approximately 110 pounds, but bigger is always better.  It is a tradeoff of catching more and smaller compared to catching fewer, and possibly none, larger sturgeon.  I don't have the link to that video, but they are readily available. Many and perhaps most of them jumped on these two trips.
(06-14-2023, 01:54 AM)Kent Wrote:
(06-13-2023, 11:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Yes, a 6 footer would weigh approximately 110 pounds, but bigger is always better.  It is a tradeoff of catching more and smaller compared to catching fewer, and possibly none, larger sturgeon.  I don't have the link to that video, but they are readily available. Many and perhaps most of them jumped on these two trips.
I've seen plenty of them but that one was the one I took of that fish you caught, on one of our first few trips up there.