Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tabiona Travails
I've been here in Tabiona since yesterday, camped right next to the Duchesne River. I brought spinning and fly fishing gear, thinking I would have a great time fishing. 

One look at the river told me otherwise. There is so much water flowing through that baby that fishing wasn't even possible, at least where I am staying.

I made a few casts from the bridge into our campground just for the heck of it. I don't dare to get down next to the river.

There is a spot a few miles north where the river is twice as wide that I might try if weather permits. It rained and hailed like crazy for a couple of hours today.  Only time will tell.
Heads up if you go, the Duchesne is closed until July.
According to the fishing guidebook, only the west fork is closed. I am on the main river, so I should be good.
While the rushing water can be very intimidating, you can still fish it !! Back in 83/84 when the Provo River was going bonkers, I still did a bit of stream fishing. I used 1/2 oz Panther Martin spinners and found places that I could cast upstream along the bank, then bring it back as close to the band as possible. Caught many browns that way. They moved out of the main part of the river to the edges where the water was slower and there were undercuts to hide under. Just be careful of the fast water and don't get to close !! Also, use heavier line, 10lb, so you can get a hung up lure back. Fish are not line shy under those conditions.
I did try one more time in a wider area, but no luck there, either. I won't have another chance this year, but will be coming back next July.