Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Strawberry trout?
I'm planning on going to Strawberry soon. I don't have my boat set up for kokes (yet) and want to target trout anyway. I won't mind not catching very many as long as I can catch some bigger ones. Can any of you advise me about specifics on catching trout? Lures and locations, depths, etc. will be appreciated. And if anyone can join me some day during the week I would appreciate it--your boat or mine.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(06-14-2023, 06:29 PM)catchinon Wrote: I'm planning on going to Strawberry soon. I don't have my boat set up for kokes (yet) and want to target trout anyway. I won't mind not catching very many as long as I can catch some bigger ones. Can any of you advise me about specifics on catching trout? Lures and locations, depths, etc. will be appreciated. And if anyone can join me some day during the week I would appreciate it--your boat or mine.

Wish I could help ya but I am currently a big loser when it comes to Strawberry!!  I have spent years trying to catch anything from a boat in there and can count on my hands how many fish I have landed in a boat or toon.  (Ice another story) You find the secret and let me know, ill keep trying to catch something.  LOL Big Grin
(06-14-2023, 06:29 PM)catchinon Wrote: I'm planning on going to Strawberry soon. I don't have my boat set up for kokes (yet) and want to target trout anyway. I won't mind not catching very many as long as I can catch some bigger ones. Can any of you advise me about specifics on catching trout? Lures and locations, depths, etc. will be appreciated. And if anyone can join me some day during the week I would appreciate it--your boat or mine.

Craig, what is your definition of "... some bigger ones..."?  I can (assuming the wind is not blowing too hard) get into the cutthroat, at Strawberry, vertically jigging (I never troll for trout at Strawberry).  I would be willing to take you out sometime, if that is of interest to you.  Also, you would probably get more replies if you made these types of posts on the main board.
a week ago we had 50 of those trash fish by 9 am (a lot of big ones good fighters) 
we had 6 lines out trolling, one rapala on top it dives 5 feet 100 feet set back,   
one lead line  and 4 on downriggers   all set up for kokanee 

they are from 50 feet down to on top.   they are all over the lake but they move so you have to find them.
it should not be hard for you to catch 20 ,  if you have a 10 mph wind you can just drift with a worm harness are with a white tube with a worm on it.   are if you like to jig you can do that just have to find them.  there is some big rainbows in there to
Craig, please remember the rules about posting the same thing on both boards, it is not allowed but if you like I can move this thread to the main board.
(06-15-2023, 04:21 PM)Kent Wrote:

Craig, what is your definition of "... some bigger ones..."?  I can (assuming the wind is not blowing too hard) get into the cutthroat, at Strawberry, vertically jigging (I never troll for trout at Strawberry).  I would be willing to take you out sometime, if that is of interest to you.  Also, you would probably get more replies if you made these types of posts on the main board.

19-20" or better. I'll pm you about going together. Thanks for the offer, that would be fun.

(06-15-2023, 06:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Craig, please remember the rules about posting the same thing on both boards, it is not allowed but if you like I can move this thread to the main board.

I was dismayed when I saw where I posted it--just a goof. I would appreciate if you moved it.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I have had some fun days just anchored up and jigging - much like ice fishing. I even use my ice flasher. Any of the same presentations that work through the ice work vertically jigging, except it's okay to size up with bigger jigs and bait - spring cutthroats are hungry! I've also done well slow dragging white tube jigs in my canoe.

I'll do a little more research ahead of our trip on Saturday in terms of trolling. I see lots of videos of guys doing it without downriggers and I have some clip on weights we can try. I'll bring the planer boards again too.

jack of all tackle, master of none
Try sliding sinker rigs instead of snap weights. Works well and you don't have to worry about taking snap weight off. I use them all the time. 5 to 6 feet from slider to dodger is my usual setup. Can use planer boards with the sliders as well.