Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Float Tube Advice
I have a rare weekend with the wife at a conference. That means fishing or golfing or both!  I thought about making the drive up to Strawberry and taking my Fat Cat float tube next Friday. I have only fished Strawberry thru the ice. I don’t know where to launch or even if it’s a good idea in a float tube.  I have sooo much fun there all winter. I would love to get into them in my tube.  Any suggestions on if, where, time of day, and still white tube jig? Thanks
[Image: IMG-1819.jpg]
O
I’ve had some pretty good days at the chicken creek parking area. I launch and kick out west to the cove.
There are thick weed beds that create a false bottom. I fish right above the weed beds with either split shot and a night crawler, Using lift and drop techniques, or a silver and blue spoon, cast and retrieve or jigging.
I would bring your insulated waders just in case that water is still numbing cold. Also a flag to signal a boat in case you need a tow if the wind becomes unmanageable. Oh and for boaters that might read this, if you see a person on a float tube waving a flag, please go check on them. Lol.
East Portal w/white tube jigs and you'll catch em all day long!
Renegade launch area off the points. 10-30 FOW. white tubes tipped with nightcrawler or chub meat. If you’re using a fly rod, you can use weighted line and get it down about 10-12 ft with a small white squid like they use for Kokanee or a 1 1/2 inch white streamer. Trolling around at ~1.0 mph works well (with flippers or a small motor). My best luck by far is from 6am-10am
Strawberry next Friday is on! Thanks for the info. I’ll post a report on what happens.
How did this trip turn out?
I went to the East Portal and fished with a white tube for 2 hrs. Skunksville. Ran into a guy who had caught a few on a brownish fly that looked like a thin mint woolly bugger. Went back to my car and got my fly rod out. Fished the thin mint and caught 3 fishing it 9 ft below an indicator. Caught one on a white tube. Fished from 7:00 to 12:30. It sounded like the folks on the beach did better than me with chartreuse power bait. That was humbling. Another guy caught 10 on a green and brown woolly bugger but he had an electric trolling motor. I had fun but was a little disappointed. That’s fishing sometimes.