Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua
Hit mantua Thursday evening for about 4 hours. Caught 1 largemouth with a brown and orange crankbait. Very slow. Never seem to have a lot of luck there.
(06-25-2023, 02:43 AM)IceGuy97 Wrote: Hit mantua Thursday evening for about 4 hours. Caught 1 largemouth with a brown and orange crankbait. Very slow. Never seem to have a lot of luck there.
Any size to the bass? Don't you do good there during the ice fishing season
It was probably 2 pounds. And yeah I do alright on gills and trout.
(06-25-2023, 02:50 AM)IceGuy97 Wrote: It was probably 2 pounds. And yeah I do alright on gills and trout.

Haven't heard any good reports from Mantua since soft water season, hopefully that will change.
Went to Mantua and caught a couple of bass. Saw something I first saw a few years ago. One of the bass had it's jaw split in half. It had actually healed pretty good. Like I said, I saw this on several fish a few years ago. Is some moron marking fish by splitting their jaw in half?

Also, are there turtles in Mantua?
(06-25-2023, 05:45 PM)AlexB Wrote: Went to Mantua and caught a couple of bass. Saw something I first saw a few years ago. One of the bass had it's jaw split in half. It had actually healed pretty good. Like I said, I saw this on several fish a few years ago. Is some moron marking fish by splitting their jaw in half?

Also, are there turtles in Mantua?

I would sure hope not, do you think it could be the same bass you caught before that had a split jaw? Did you take a pic of if? If you did I could send it to the DWR and ask them if it's a genetic defect.
I caught 2 or 3 in the same day with a split jaw. I should have taken pictures, I will next time. I'm sure it's not the same fish and to me it looks like they've been cut.

Anyway, is there a water turtle that lives around this area? I think I saw one. Maybe someone's pet?
(06-25-2023, 06:29 PM)AlexB Wrote: I caught 2 or 3 in the same day with a split jaw. I should have taken pictures, I will next time. I'm sure it's not the same fish and to me it looks like they've been cut.

Anyway, is there a water turtle that lives around this area? I think I saw one. Maybe someone's pet?

That would really be crazy if someone is doing it on purpose, if they were catching the fish, why not just kill it outright. Maybe you are right about a turtle but I have not heard of that before. For sure, take a pic if you catch another one, I'm sure the DWR would be very interested in seeing it.