Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake Help
We are heading to fish lake next week and I've never fished there.  Any tips on where to find fish this time of year for a first timer?  We'll be in a boat set up for trolling.  I'd really love to get into some perch.
(06-27-2023, 06:06 PM)TheCarDoctor Wrote: We are heading to fish lake next week and I've never fished there.  Any tips on where to find fish this time of year for a first timer?  We'll be in a boat set up for trolling.  I'd really love to get into some perch.

Trolling, at Fish Lake, for perch is a waste of expensive gasoline.  You should have no problem finding all of the perch that you want to catch.  I would suggest you start out in about 20' of water, almost anywhere, and slowly move deeper.  Small jigs, or similar, tipped with a chunk of crawler should do the trick.  You may want to ask the guys, at whatever marina you launch from, where you should try.
(06-27-2023, 06:06 PM)TheCarDoctor Wrote: We are heading to fish lake next week and I've never fished there.  Any tips on where to find fish this time of year for a first timer?  We'll be in a boat set up for trolling.  I'd really love to get into some perch.

Fish Lake is a blast and you should have no problem catching some fish. Last time I was there we caught 6 species including Rainbow, Splake, Tiger and Lake Trout in addition to Kokanee and Perch. The perch are plentiful and you should have no problem catching them in most of the lake. Look at the edge of the weed beds - the water is so clear you can see them but they like the weeds for cover. As has been mentioned, a small jig with a piece of worm usually works well. Also, the east side below the pines in about 15 to 20 feet of water you should be able to see some. As for trout and Kokanee, the usual trolling techniques work well. Rainbows will tend to be closer to the top and Lakers closer to the bottom.
Look for good alive weed beds, or weed bed edges. Use a chartreuse or orange 8th oz jig head tipped with a piece of crawler, let it sink to the bottom, two cranks up and wait for the nibble. It is not uncommon to catch a few hundred.

Good luck!

If trolling look east, locate the two s a ddles in the mountain and cruise north to south and then back again in 40-100ft of water to pick up enough trout get sick of reeling them in.
For Perch do what everybody ahead of me said.
Just make sure the weeds you are fishing are green like Pac said,
If they are brown, move on.