Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Help
I'm going to take my brother-in-law out on a new boat he got a couple months back.  I suggested Strawberry (because I know it better), but he would rather not travel that far (he's in Stansbury).  As a backup, I suggested Utah Lake for cats; however, I'm not all that familiar with UL...especially boat-wise.  If I remember correctly, the Lincoln Beach area seems to be productive this time of year as is Bird Island (but I'm not sure I want to chance damaging a prop on the rocks), but if anyone is willing to share a few tidbits, I'm all ears.  

Full disclosure, if I were to head out there today, I'd either fling shrimp / cut WB on a slip weight or troll worm harnesses.  Probably wouldn't hurt to try and get ahold of some of Pat's fligs too, but that's where I'm at at the moment.  Thanks guys
(06-28-2023, 04:35 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: I'm going to take my brother-in-law out on a new boat he got a couple months back.  I suggested Strawberry (because I know it better), but he would rather not travel that far (he's in Stansbury).  As a backup, I suggested Utah Lake for cats; however, I'm not all that familiar with UL...especially boat-wise.  If I remember correctly, the Lincoln Beach area seems to be productive this time of year as is Bird Island (but I'm not sure I want to chance damaging a prop on the rocks), but if anyone is willing to share a few tidbits, I'm all ears.  

Full disclosure, if I were to head out there today, I'd either fling shrimp / cut WB on a slip weight or troll worm harnesses.  Probably wouldn't hurt to try and get ahold of some of Pat's fligs too, but that's where I'm at at the moment.  Thanks guys

Right now the cats are in transition, some spawning and some post spawn. You can find cats in the reeds if they are still spawning or hunting critters that hide in the reeds. You can find reeds almost anywhere around the lake. Last few trips you wanted to be no deeper than 3.5 feet, reeds deeper than that held very few cats. Shrimp or cut WB, with or W/out a bobber work well.

The method I use is to anchor in 3.5 feet and cast to shallower open pockets in or near reed edges. If you don't get a fish in 20 minutes, move and start again. Once you find then, the same rule applies. 20-30 minutes w/o a fish, move.

If you prefer to drag baits, most fish lately have come in 6-8 FOW, but there will be some almost any depth.

Good luck and please share a report on how you did!
If you're going to drag (slow troll) you should look into Santee rigs. They're easy to set up if you have the materials.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Good advice from others.  Liable to be the "biblical system" (seek and ye shall find...maybe) for the next little while.  Fish just coming off spawn and orienting to the bigger and deeper lake.  That's why slow trolling/bottom bouncing is a good way to prospect...rather than plunking down somewhere and waiting for the fish to come to you.

Here's my chapter on cats plus a picture of the Santee rig.  
[Image: SANTEE-RIG.jpg]

Attached Files
.pdf   CHANNEL CATFISH 2017.pdf (Size: 2.64 MB / Downloads: 18)
Thanks guys. Another question, do cats get more active as it warms this time of year. Meaning, do I have to get up real early in the morning for a better shot at them? Wink
(06-29-2023, 02:46 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: Thanks guys.  Another question, do cats get more active as it warms this time of year.  Meaning, do I have to get up real early in the morning for a better shot at them? Wink

Nope.  Cats are the subject of a lot of erroneous facts and misconceptions.  They do not only feed on rotten stuff...but often live almost exclusively on live prey...crawdads, minnows, worms, etc...especially in water clear enough for them to be sight feeders.  And they do not only feed after dark.  During the hottest part of summer...when water temps are over 80 degrees...and there is a lot of noisy recreational boat traffic during the day...cats WILL often be more active at night...especially the bigger ones.  But most of us who fish Utah Lake can attest to doing quite well throughout the daylight hours too.

You don't have to be on the water at daybreak for catfish.  But sometimes the fishing might be best during the quiet low light hours of early morning...especially during the hottest parts of summer.  However, I have had a lot of my best "wide open bites" after 10 in the morning.  I still like to always start early...if for no other reason to see the sun coming up over the mountains and to hear the lake wake up...with all of the myriad bird species setting up a morning chorus.   Best part of the day for esthetics but definitely not essential for good fishing.
Well…first trip out to UL boat-wise was about as good as I could expect.  Meaning, it wasn’t fast or furious, rather kinda slow, but we DID NOT get skunked!  Put in at Lincoln Beach about 8am and had lines in by 8:15 - 8:30.  Started off near the mouth of Benjamin Slough, but not a whiff drowning worms and shrimp.  The carp were making a show rolling and jumping in the flooded weeds though! Next we headed west around the point to the orchard and worked 4 spots north to south.  Ended up boating 2 channels that were 7 and 7.5 lbs (my mom’s) and lost 2 more at the boat (my brother in law forgot the landing net).  Those lost were a 2 pounder and a 5 pounder.  Landed another half dozen mud cats between the three of us fishing and that was it.  We tried crawlers, WB and shrimp - all fish were caught on shrimp.  Nary a sniff on the other two baits.  Tried to stay close to the weeds which put us in 3 feet or less of water.  Never did “prospect” in the deeper water.  Probably should have, but honestly just got lazy.  Fish bit between 9:30-12:30, then shut down.  We fished till 2pm.

Next time, I’ll be better prepared and try finding them, but this was a good starter.  Both of the big cats were about 25ish inches.  They came home with me for future dining opportunities. Smile
[Image: IMG-6031.jpg]

[Image: IMG-6032.jpg]
(07-01-2023, 01:33 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: Well…first trip out to UL boat-wise was about as good as I could expect.  Meaning, it wasn’t fast or furious, rather kinda slow, but we DID NOT get skunked!  Put in at Lincoln Beach about 8am and had lines in by 8:15 - 8:30.  Started off near the mouth of Benjamin Slough, but not a whiff drowning worms and shrimp.  The carp were making a show rolling and jumping in the flooded weeds though! Next we headed west around the point to the orchard and worked 4 spots north to south.  Ended up boating 2 channels that were 7 and 7.5 lbs (my mom’s) and lost 2 more at the boat (my brother in law forgot the landing net).  Those lost were a 2 pounder and a 5 pounder.  Landed another half dozen mud cats between the three of us fishing and that was it.  We tried crawlers, WB and shrimp - all fish were caught on shrimp.  Nary a sniff on the other two baits.  Tried to stay close to the weeds which put us in 3 feet or less of water.  Never did “prospect” in the deeper water.  Probably should have, but honestly just got lazy.  Fish bit between 9:30-12:30, then shut down.  We fished till 2pm.

Next time, I’ll be better prepared and try finding them, but this was a good starter.  Both of the big cats were about 25ish inches.  They came home with me for future dining opportunities. Smile
[Image: IMG-6031.jpg]

[Image: IMG-6032.jpg]
That is a great start. You are very likely to become a Cat addict if your not careful
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew