Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 ICE-OFF RECAP
It was an incredible ice-off season this year and I hate to see it end, but I guess all good things must! Sad to see that some of our usual ice-off waters have been decimated by the drought, but we knew they probably would be, so we adjusted nicely. Focused primarily on 4 different bodies of water in the southern/central UT region, and all of them produced impressive size and numbers. My oldest daughter broker her PB cutthroat and bow this year, so that was sure fun. We had a couple trips that reached near the 80 fish number between us, so the action was fast and furious! All the usual presentations worked with semiseal balanced leeches, black zebra midges and hares ears. Tigers were hard to come by this year, but we usually get into those more in the summer and fall anyways. Lakes are full, so the fish will now really spread out so I imagine summer fishing will be slower, and we have already witnessed that just recently at one of our favorite spots. The fish should grow really fast this year with all the water and food, so I anticipate some awesome fall fishing down here...can't wait! Too many pics to post, so here's just a few...have a fun and safe summer everybody! 

[Image: 20230603-074718.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-20230520-130854-Gallery.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20230513-210407-230.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-20230521-133044-Gallery.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-20230506-151131-Gallery.jpg]
Great photos - love the Smiles. Do you tie your own balanced leeches (or flies on general)?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
That bow you are holding has some great color, your daughter sure looks happy holding her fish, sounds like a great way to start the year off.
(07-01-2023, 01:12 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Great photos - love the Smiles. Do you tie your own balanced leeches (or flies on general)?

Yes, tying is my favorite part! Balanced leeches are so easy and quick to tie, and so effective year round down here in our high mountain lakes. I tie them on jig hooks with slotted tungsten BHs in various brown/black/red combo semi-seal dubbings.

(07-01-2023, 01:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That bow you are holding has some great color, your daughter sure looks happy holding her fish, sounds like a great way to start the year off.

Sure did, gotta love those spawning bow colors! It's been so fun watching my oldest daughter, who just turned 20 last month, really get into it the last couple years! She has the touch and I find myself being more a photographer lately for her fish then fishing myself, lol. If you think her Smile is big, you should see mine behind the camera taking the pics! Smile Take care.
(07-06-2023, 03:53 PM)richyd4u Wrote:
(07-01-2023, 01:12 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Great photos - love the Smiles. Do you tie your own balanced leeches (or flies on general)?

Yes, tying is my favorite part! Balanced leeches are so easy and quick to tie, and so effective year round down here in our high mountain lakes. I tie them on jig hooks with slotted tungsten BHs in various brown/black/red combo semi-seal dubbings.

(07-01-2023, 01:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That bow you are holding has some great color, your daughter sure looks happy holding her fish, sounds like a great way to start the year off.

Sure did, gotta love those spawning bow colors! It's been so fun watching my oldest daughter, who just turned 20 last month, really get into it the last couple years! She has the touch and I find myself being more a photographer lately for her fish then fishing myself, lol. If you think her Smile is big, you should see mine behind the camera taking the pics! Smile Take care.

Time is precious with your kids, as they get married and have kids of their own, so enjoy the time you have with them, while you can, it won't last forever.
I really enjoy all your posts! Glad you are getting to spend some quality time with your daughter and getting quality fish!