Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Morning Lost Creek
My youngest daughter went with me today, which was a huge surprise. I've nearly quit asking because teenagers seem to always have another agenda. It's always the early start that they hate, but she agreed today. Arrived at the lake close to 6 am, prepped and launched a llitle after 6. 

I wanted to see if we could get a slotbuster today, and we darn near made it happen. I put on some big lures and stacked the downrigger on the 1st side. Went to the other side and let out a BIG quikfish, put it on the rigger and dropped it 10 ft down. I grabbed the the other pole, turned to start getting it ready to be stacked, and noticed the line had popped out of the release on the 1st line. Grumbling I thought I must not had set it far enough into the release. So I grabbed the pole out of the holder, started to reel, and realized there was something heavy on the other end. I've caught a lot of nice fish over the years but my daughter hasn't, so I handed the rod over and enjoyed the fun. She turned to me and said "Oh this is fighting hard!" A short time later we had the beautiful cutt in the net and in the boat. She was so excited. I knew it was going to be close to 22", but fell an inch short. Still a great fish for Lost Creek, and was successfully released after a few pictures.

[Image: 20230722-061642.jpg]

We drug the big stuff for a while all the way up into the back, but nothing but smaller fish on the big rapalas and no more hits on the quikfish. 

We switched over to koke gear and caught a lot of small cutts, a few rainbows, and a few kokes that we brought home. We probably caught around 25 fish or so today. 
The lake got busy with boats, kayak and paddleboards the later it got. We pulled out before noon, and the ramp area was packed with vehicles.

[Image: 20230722-080009.jpg]
She looks cold and happy at the same time. They planted more splake this summer but sounds like none showed up for you today.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
It was chilly this morning, 45 degrees and yes it was fun. No splake, but big schools of chubs on the sonar. One point I got a false bottom reading they were so dense.
Great report, always exciting to get those big ones. How do you like that new boat dock? Have they pulled up that one they have sitting on the ramp that's in the way?
I wish that they would put up "No Parking" signs on the bottom of the boat ramp. When I went there last trip, the parking lot was almost empty, but several rigs were parked on the ramp and we could have used that extra space while launching and trailering the boat.
(07-23-2023, 01:09 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report, always exciting to get those big ones. How do you like that new boat dock? Have they pulled up that one they have sitting on the ramp that's in the way?

I liked the dock, made it much easier to launch and to load. The new ramp was off to the right and in the water. It was a bit shallow for larger boat use, but smaller boats could use it.

(07-23-2023, 01:33 PM)Kent Wrote: I wish that they would put up "No Parking" signs on the bottom of the boat ramp.  When I went there last trip, the parking lot was almost empty, but several rigs were parked on the ramp and we could have used that extra space while launching and trailering the boat.

That's a good idea, the kayakers and paddleboard users had parked all the way down to the ramp.
(07-23-2023, 01:33 PM)Kent Wrote: I wish that they would put up "No Parking" signs on the bottom of the boat ramp.  When I went there last trip, the parking lot was almost empty, but several rigs were parked on the ramp and we could have used that extra space while launching and trailering the boat.
I am with that  also sometimes we need a little more room to make the corner Does anyone know who could help with this? I would be willing to check into it.
(07-23-2023, 04:20 PM)oldguy Wrote:
I am with that  also sometimes we need a little more room to make the corner Does anyone know who could help with this? I would be willing to check into it.

Since the kayakers and paddleboaders don’t have to pay to help with AIS control don’t you feel they should also be allowed to park at bottom of ramp?
Heck, they should not even have to pay to enter the Park.
(07-23-2023, 04:20 PM)oldguy Wrote:

It is now a state park, so I assume the state park folks are the ones that would be in charge of something like this.
(07-23-2023, 01:42 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(07-23-2023, 01:09 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report, always exciting to get those big ones. How do you like that new boat dock? Have they pulled up that one they have sitting on the ramp that's in the way?

I liked the dock, made it much easier to launch and to load. The new ramp was off to the right and in the water. It was a bit shallow for larger boat use, but smaller boats could use it.

So that means the old dock was still in the water there on the ramp? Personally, I don't like it on the ramp because it takes up so much room, when the lake gets lower it won't matter but with the water so high, it's pretty tight between that dock and that metal curb. Sounds like that new dock has moved, when I was there that new dock was farther out in the water than the one on the ramp.
I never park on the asphalt but I like to park my truck and trailer there, just to the left of the asphalt but it's big pain when someone parks directly behind me, closer to the ramp.
As far as who to contact about any issue there, I posted that info last year. I'll look back at that old thread and see if I can find the name.
Here is a link to an article with the name of the manager there:
https://www.ksl.com/article/50436004/los...be-delayed
Same manager as the one at East canyon.
(07-23-2023, 10:36 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Here is a link to an article with the name of the manager there:
https://www.ksl.com/article/50436004/los...be-delayed
Same manager as the one at East canyon.

I just sent an email to: Chrisharamoto@utah.gov.   If I get a reply from Mr. Haramoto, I will post it on here.
(07-23-2023, 10:18 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

So that means the old dock was still in the water there on the ramp? Personally, I don't like it on the ramp because it takes up so much room, when the lake gets lower it won't matter but with the water so high, it's pretty tight between that dock and that metal curb. Sounds like that new dock has moved, when I was there that new dock was farther out in the water than the one on the ramp.
When I was there a couple weeks ago the dnr was moving the dock  back onto the ramp he said that if they don't keep it on the ramp then they have to get bigger  equipment  to pull it out in the winter. I don't understand  that .
(07-23-2023, 11:43 PM)oldguy Wrote:

When I was there a couple weeks ago the dnr was moving the dock  back onto the ramp he said that if they don't keep it on the ramp then they have to get bigger  equipment  to pull it out in the winter. I don't understand  that .

I don't believe that for one minute because they just put in another dock that's even bigger, at least I think it's bigger, for sure wider, and it's not on the ramp.
(07-23-2023, 11:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I don't believe that for one minute because they just put in another dock that's even bigger, at least I think it's bigger, for sure wider, and it's not on the ramp.
Believe what you want curt but my son helped the dnr guy unhook the ramp from his truck. Just saying.
(07-24-2023, 12:05 AM)oldguy Wrote:
(07-23-2023, 11:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-23-2023, 01:42 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I liked the dock, made it much easier to launch and to load. The new ramp was off to the right and in the water. It was a bit shallow for larger boat use, but smaller boats could use it.

Believe what you want curt but my son helped the dnr guy unhook the ramp from his truck. Just saying.

I'm not doubting what you said, I'm doubting what the DWR guy told you, about them needing bigger equipment to haul the dock out.
I haven't been up there this summer, but I'm guessing the ramp dock is what the Parks folks call a wedge dock.  The wedge dock can be pulled up and down the concrete ramp easier than it can be pulled up and down the gravel/dirt bottom off to the side of the ramp.  I'm also guessing the dock off to the side is a floating dock.  The floating dock can be launched from the ramp and positioned using a boat and possibly a pickup positioned on the concrete portion of the ramp.  Just guessing here as I haven't actually seen either one done in person.  They might even have to use a fat tired front loader to move the floating dock up and down the gravel/dirt shore line.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(07-24-2023, 01:27 PM)dubob Wrote: I haven't been up there this summer, but I'm guessing the ramp dock is what the Parks folks call a wedge dock.  The wedge dock can be pulled up and down the concrete ramp easier than it can be pulled up and down the gravel/dirt bottom off to the side of the ramp.  I'm also guessing the dock off to the side is a floating dock.  The floating dock can be launched from the ramp and positioned using a boat and possibly a pickup positioned on the concrete portion of the ramp.  Just guessing here as I haven't actually seen either one done in person.  They might even have to use a fat tired front loader to move the floating dock up and down the gravel/dirt shore line.

Yes, it's a wedge dock that is sitting on the ramp. If you go up there you will see how tight it is, as I said above, once the water level drops it won't be the issue it is now. This all could have been avoided if they had widened the ramp last year when the water was so low. With the rise in popularity of paddle boards, it's making the situation worse at all our smaller lakes.
(07-24-2023, 06:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-24-2023, 01:27 PM)dubob Wrote: I haven't been up there this summer, but I'm guessing the ramp dock is what the Parks folks call a wedge dock.  The wedge dock can be pulled up and down the concrete ramp easier than it can be pulled up and down the gravel/dirt bottom off to the side of the ramp.  I'm also guessing the dock off to the side is a floating dock.  The floating dock can be launched from the ramp and positioned using a boat and possibly a pickup positioned on the concrete portion of the ramp.  Just guessing here as I haven't actually seen either one done in person.  They might even have to use a fat tired front loader to move the floating dock up and down the gravel/dirt shore line.

Yes, it's a wedge dock that is sitting on the ramp. If you go up there you will see how tight it is, as I said above, once the water level drops it won't be the issue it is now. This all could have been avoided if they had widened the ramp last year when the water was so low. With the rise in popularity of paddle boards, it's making the situation worse at all our smaller lakes.
I agree with that!!!!!