Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat trailer broke
On my last trip to Willard Bay 27 July, as I was launching the boat, I noticed the bow stand was broken off where it was welded to the mount plate. So before releasing the boat, I pulled back up the ramp and rigged a ratcheting cargo strap to the stand and secured it to the trailer to provide some opposing "pull".  

[Image: 02.jpg]     [Image: 03.jpg]

I got back to my storage unit,  removed the bow stand from trailer, removed the ratcheting assembly and cleaned the two pieces of the broken stand the best I could.  Then took them to a local muffler shop that does small job welding.  

[Image: 04.jpg]

Re-weld was completed Tuesday morning 1 Aug. Returned to my storage unit, primed and painted new weld area, re-installed on trailer. Re-installed the ratchet strap assembly. 

[Image: 07.jpg]    [Image: 08.jpg]  

Between Thursday, 27 July when I took the stand in to be welded and Tuesday, 1 Aug when it was completed, I figured with the boat a little loose on the trailer, was a good time to replace the carpet on the side guides. 

[Image: 09.jpg]     [Image: 010.jpg]

Was hoping to get back on the water yesterday or today,  but weather and thunder storms will make me hold off until tomorrow.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice to see issue resolved, looks good. Amazing how a broken piece like this can lead to other maintenance.  
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I had the same thing happen to my boat right after I bought it, glad you were able to get yours fixed plus a little extra.
We haven't seen any fishing reports from you this year Forest, I hope everything is alright?
Howdy Forest, it must be time for trailer issues, I lost a wheel bearing on my last trip and limped home.  One of these days I'll have to get it fixed as well.  I also have some other trailer maintenance that needs to be done  like the carpet on mine and the piece of wood on the inside of the fender well is holding by a screw and needs some new ones added to secure it... Probably a good time for me to do some maintenance as well... Since I only pull mine about a mile and a half to the launch I've been neglectful in taking care of these issues, maybe since it rained I'll get on it this weekend.. Hope so, but guess I still need to take produce to the market on Saturday so maybe I won't have as much time as I'm hoping for... Good to see you giving good examples on what I should be doing... Have a good trip today... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-03-2023, 07:16 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: On my last trip to Willard Bay 27 July, as I was launching the boat, I noticed the bow stand was broken off where it was welded to the mount plate. So before releasing the boat, I pulled back up the ramp and rigged a ratcheting cargo strap to the stand and secured it to the trailer to provide some opposing "pull".  

[Image: 02.jpg]     [Image: 03.jpg]

I got back to my storage unit,  removed the bow stand from trailer, removed the ratcheting assembly and cleaned the two pieces of the broken stand the best I could.  Then took them to a local muffler shop that does small job welding.  

[Image: 04.jpg]

Re-weld was completed Tuesday morning 1 Aug. Returned to my storage unit, primed and painted new weld area, re-installed on trailer. Re-installed the ratchet strap assembly. 

[Image: 07.jpg]    [Image: 08.jpg]  

Between Thursday, 27 July when I took the stand in to be welded and Tuesday, 1 Aug when it was completed, I figured with the boat a little loose on the trailer, was a good time to replace the carpet on the side guides. 

[Image: 09.jpg]     [Image: 010.jpg]

Was hoping to get back on the water yesterday or today,  but weather and thunder storms will make me hold off until tomorrow.

I would guess the cause of the failure is that the drain hole in the plate is bolted tight to the Tongue, thus trapping water.
When I build something like this for the boat trailer I always make a couple of drain holes between the upright and the base plate, skipping the weld right there.
I think if you drill a 1/4" hole on each side tight down against the base plate you will never see this problem again.

Most likely this advice is worth what you paid for it.
Ill join the crowd of trailer carpet maintenance that needs to be completed. I have the bunk board guides on both sides and bunk boards under neath that the boat rest on. Then there is a flat board that fits under the the rear post that holds the bunk board guide that you stand on that I need a new one. So basically everything on my trailer that requires carpet needs new.
(08-04-2023, 11:16 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Ill join the crowd of trailer carpet maintenance that needs to be completed. I have the bunk board guides on both sides and bunk boards under neath that the boat rest on. Then there is a flat board that fits under the the rear post that holds the bunk board guide that you stand on that I need a new one. So basically everything on my trailer that requires carpet needs new.

Did mine at Willard bay in the spring last year and it was easy to be able to put  my boat in the water and tie it up. No one there.
(08-04-2023, 01:45 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I had the same thing happen to my boat right after I bought it, glad you were able to get yours fixed plus a little extra.
We haven't seen any fishing reports from you this year Forest, I hope everything is alright?

Curt, I haven't posted any fishing reports so far this year. Mainly cuz I've only caught a few Cats from Willard, and had several "no catch" days.   Have not been out as often this year due to some family affairs.  

I did go out last Friday 4 Aug to functional test the new bow stand. It worked perfectly  Cool  .  I even caught and released 4 Cats. 

[Image: 025-4-Aug-2023.jpg]   [Image: 026-4-Aug-1-Cat-CPR.jpg]      [Image: 027-4-Aug-2-Cat-CPR.jpg]   [Image: 028-4-Aug-3-Cat-CPR.jpg]   [Image: 029-4-Aug-4-Cat-CPR.jpg]

(08-05-2023, 01:03 AM)oldguy Wrote:
(08-04-2023, 11:16 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Ill join the crowd of trailer carpet maintenance that needs to be completed. I have the bunk board guides on both sides and bunk boards under neath that the boat rest on. Then there is a flat board that fits under the the rear post that holds the bunk board guide that you stand on that I need a new one. So basically everything on my trailer that requires carpet needs new.

Did mine at Willard bay in the spring last year and it was easy to be able to put  my boat in the water and tie it up. No one there.

I usually do my bunk carpet replacement at Willard also. I need to do it again. But since my bunks are Trex 2x4 I don't need to replace the bunks themselves.  I can just remove all the screws from the side edges of the bunks, wrap new carpet and replace the screws.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks for the report Forest, good to hear your trip on Fri was a decent one. How were the bugs? From your pic it looks like the water level is still up to the parking lot Undecided
We were at Willard yesterday doing float tubing set up test #3 - still a work in progress - but the water was mirror calm, only a couple trailers in the lot and none were from fishing boats that we saw. I didn't catch anything in the marina, but the water is still up far on the ramp. There were NO bugs. Jeff watched small bass and few young shad as he monitored my test run. 

It was such a nice day for a test run - but I had to pretend I caught one just so I could practice bringing one in - more adjustments are needed after that for sure, LOL 

Of course, I need more practice but it was such a nice day I hated that it was time go but Coach Jeff was getting a little sunburned sitting on the dock so we called it day (actually a half day  Big Grin )
(08-08-2023, 05:25 PM)jjannie Wrote: We were at Willard yesterday doing float tubing set up test #3 - still a work in progress - but the water was mirror calm, only a couple trailers in the lot and none were from fishing boats that we saw. I didn't catch anything in the marina, but the water is still up far on the ramp. There were NO bugs. Jeff watched small bass and few young shad as he monitored my test run. 

It was such a nice day for a test run - but I had to pretend I caught one just so I could practice bringing one in - more adjustments are needed after that for sure, LOL 

Of course, I need more practice but it was such a nice day I hated that it was time go but Coach Jeff was getting a little sunburned sitting on the dock so we called it day (actually a half day  Big Grin )

Good for you Jil, glad you and jeff were able to get out and wet a line or two. Thanks for the info on the bugs.