Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bunk board carpet
Is indoor outdoor carpet and bunk board carpet the same thing?
Or maybe I should be asking if I can use  indoor outdoor carpet on bunk board without damage to boat finish.
Call the friendly folks at Fred's Marine. They'll either tell you or have the right stuff for purchase.
I purchase the indoor/outdoor carpet at either Lowes or Home Depot. I don't get that green plastic crap with rubber backing. The carpet used allows water drainage thru it. I always buy enough to cut strips in length & width of boards before wrapping with carpet as added cushion. 

[Image: carpet-for-bunks-1.jpg]
Exposed side

[Image: carpet-for-bunks-2.jpg]
Backing
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I have also used the indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowe's and Home Depot with good results. I also don't advise the carpet with the rubber backing.
(08-06-2023, 12:31 PM)Bduck Wrote: I purchase the indoor/outdoor carpet at either Lowes or Home Depot. I don't get that green plastic crap with rubber backing. The carpet used allows water drainage thru it. I always buy enough to cut strips in length & width of boards before wrapping with carpet as added cushion. 

[Image: carpet-for-bunks-1.jpg]
Exposed side

[Image: carpet-for-bunks-2.jpg]
Backing
 I always buy enough to cut strips in length & width of boards before wrapping with carpet as added cushion. 

So are you saying you double wrap?  Or are you saying you put an extra layer on top and sides of bunk boards?
I read it to say he puts a layer on top, just bunk width, before wrapping it top and sides.
(08-05-2023, 06:13 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Call the friendly folks at Fred's Marine. They'll either tell you or have the right stuff for purchase.

Calling is my option. They are 140 miles away.
I assisted my cousin replacing the carpet on his bunks a few years back. There are MANY places online that you supply the dimensions, and you can either do local pickup or they will send to your house, the COMPLETED carpeted new bunks, complete with studs or holes where you specified. It was not much more than the carpet itself would have been and I didn't have to do anything other than jack the boat up a little on the trailer and slip them in and bolt them on. Easy peasy and again, not much more expensive than just the carpet itself would have been.

Google: Carpeted boat bunks
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I also use carriage bolts with the big flat head & nylock nut, don't use the smaller dome head carriage bolt. These heads go against wood recessing in when snugged down and cover with carpet. No metal against bottom of hull. These have to be predrilled with bolts inserted before covering. This is better than using lag bolts or wood screws coming up thru bottom brackets with pointy tip possibly penetrating hull. The carpet strip mention is only length & width of the board on the side going against hull, then a full carpet wrap over strips.

[Image: Flat-head-carriage-bolt.jpg]
Found at Lowes

Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I ordered some from Amazon and got some from cabelas. The cabelas stuff has a rubber backing on it.
if you fish in Jan are feb. indoor carpet from home depot may freeze to your boat and you will have a hard time unloading your boat other than that it works, I would buy on line
(08-12-2023, 06:27 PM)liketrolling Wrote: if you fish in Jan are feb. indoor carpet from home depot may freeze to your boat and you will have a hard time unloading your boat other than that it works, I would buy on line

Been there and done that multiple times.  Have had to let trailer soak 10 to15 minutes to get the trailer to fall off.

The carpet on our bunks is original and boat has still froze down.  I think the only product to eliminate this problem is plastic.
(08-14-2023, 03:28 AM)PACMEN Wrote:
(08-12-2023, 06:27 PM)liketrolling Wrote: if you fish in Jan are feb. indoor carpet from home depot may freeze to your boat and you will have a hard time unloading your boat other than that it works, I would buy on line

Been there and done that multiple times.  Have had to let trailer soak 10 to15 minutes to get the trailer to fall off.

The carpet on our bunks is original and boat has still froze down.  I think the only product to eliminate this problem is plastic.

Thought I was the only one that had that kind of issues come up when I want to get launched and fishing... The first time I didn't know what I was going to do, about the time I was getting ready to give up it melted loose... Good to hear it's not just me... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-14-2023, 01:18 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 03:28 AM)PACMEN Wrote:

Thought I was the only one that had that kind of issues come up when I want to get launched and fishing... The first time I didn't know what I was going to do, about the time I was getting ready to give up it melted loose... Good to hear it's not just me... Later J
Here is the solution for not freezing to the carpet. Mine is similar to these and come in different sizes.

https://www.easternmarine.com/ez-slide-b...it4-0133-0
Harrisville UT