Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone been to East Canyon
Ira sent me these numbers of the kokes that were stocked at several lakes and it got me wondering if anyone was having any success at EC? PM's welcome if you don't want to post of your success or lack of it. Here are the numbers not looking good for the coming years. 
                   2020     2021     2022       2023
 East canyon 16965   15061    19024      0

Lost creek    12528  12320    12461    0

Rockport        30045    24087    30179    0

Jordanelle        132082    10556     160528    86200

Strawberry       361000     375813    449595   300000
(08-27-2023, 11:42 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira sent me these numbers of the kokes that were stocked at several lakes and it got me wondering if anyone was having any success at EC? PM's welcome if you don't want to post of your success or lack of it. Here are the numbers not looking good for the coming years. 
                    2020     2021     2022       2023
East canyon  16965   15061    19024      0

Lost creek    12528  12320    12461    0

Rockport        30045    24087    30179    0

Jordanelle        132082    10556     160528    86200

Strawberry       361000     375813    449595   300000

I fished East canyon last weekend only got 4 trout, probably worse catching day up there for me the last 20 yrs
When all those fingerlings are planted it always makes me wonder just how many make it to a decent catchable length. When the lakes that they plant them in have predatory fish especially Jordanelle.
(08-28-2023, 01:51 AM)petty4life Wrote:
I fished East canyon last weekend only got 4 trout, probably worse catching day up there for me the last 20 yrs

Thanks Jason, that's too bad, maybe that's why we haven't heard any reports, did you use kokanee gear?
(08-28-2023, 02:10 AM)lovetofish Wrote: When all those fingerlings are planted it always makes me wonder just how many make it to a decent catchable length. When the lakes that they plant them in have predatory fish especially Jordanelle.

I talked to Chris Penne last year about that exact thing, he said there is a certain about of predation with all plantings with fish that small, some years are not as bad as others but with a little natural recruitment from spawning fish he thought it wasn't too bad.
I probably spend 50-60 days a year chasing Kokes. While I have not tried at East Canyon, I can say in the case of Strawberry and The Gorge, that the last two years have been rough, with this year being flat out terrible. Jordanelle was great in 2019, had a few bad years, and was great again this year.

I think a combination of drought in their fall spawning streams, increased COVID fishing pressure, reduced stocking, and the proliferation of guides have had a significant impact.

In the case of Strawberry: They put in 300,000 fry this year. Of course, those won't be catchable for 2-2.5 years, so we'll look into the future. Let's assume a 10% survival rate to adulthood (a fairly standard assumption). That makes 30,000 Mature Kokanee in the summer of 2025. Additionally, I exchanged emails last year with the Strawberry biologist wondering how much natural spawning recruitment happens at Strawberry, and he said according to creel surveys, approx. 50% are stocked and 50% are naturally spawned. So let's say 60k catchable Kokes in 2025.

There are currently 4 licensed guides on Strawberry (and I suspect some unlicensed "Wink Wink" guides, which is another problem entirely). Let's say they are out fishing with clients 75% of the days between May 1 (ice off) and September 10th (season close). That is approx 97 days of fishing, with generally 4 clients on the boat. Of course, their goal is always limits. So if we have 4 boats with 4 clients, fishing 97 days, and assuming they get limits every day (a bold assumption, yes), that is 6,208 fish (assuming the guides and their deck hands aren't also keeping fish), 10% of the fish in that year class!

There's also the problem that people have gotten much more effective at catching Kokanee in the last 10 years, due in large part to Youtube videos and facebook posts "hotspotting" and showing them exactly where to fish, how to fish, and what to use. Many of these Johnny-come-lately tackle companies have their "pro staff" cluttering up every Facebook page they can with stories of how "The Kokes were biting great this weekend on our ultra whiz-bang Moon-Jelly and Gold dodgers, use discount code DUMB*** at checkout for 10% off!" This has taken much of the mystery out of Kokanee fishing, while simultaneously less fish are being stocked.

It's been a perfect storm of factors, and we're all losing because of it.
I hereby pledge to not fish for them.
I am a not a koke chaser having settled in on a quiet life of bank tangling but I have sure heard the woes from those of you who do. I cant add much to the commentary on this or the other posts on the subject except to offer hope that the divisions effort to spread kokes to other lakes will pull some pressure off the berry and FG and allow them to restabilize. I also can't help but think of other species cycles from bang to bust and back. Here a wish and a prayer that the kokes are soon again filling your coolers with smokeable protein
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
These "new" koke ponds tend to be on the small side. Jordanelle gets cramped with a dozen or so boats fishing for Kokes. The other lakes are even smaller. Now add the proximity to the Wasatch Front cities and the additional boats that are chasing rainbows and easy to see these lakes are being overwhelmed. Jordanelle dropped off quite a bit as summer wore on. Not a real fan of reducing stocking of Kokes in the Gorge or Berry. I would like to see a reduction in cutt stocking at Strawberry. There are plenty of them already there.
Social media is ruining everything and everywhere.  Technology, even though is getting better and better. It doesn't always help the average angler. Most people post to brag, and the majority of the time the angler's who fishes those waters are not impressed by their success. But even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then.
Does anyone chase Crappie at East Canyon??
I have seen a school of what I think were crappie on sonar at EC, but have never caught one. I fish strictly for smallmouth there, but haven't been there in a couple of years due to low water.
(08-29-2023, 06:07 AM)Therapist Wrote: Does anyone chase Crappie at East Canyon??
As you probably know, there have been crappies in there for many years.  In fact, during a couple of winter ice fishing sessions in the early 2000s a lot of the bigger trout caught through the ice had YOY crappies in them.  But the crappies in EC are subject to the same vicissitudes of environment that crappies are everywhere.  They need good spawning conditions...like flooded brush or aquatic vegetation...to get off a good spawn.  Extreme low water in any given year makes for a poor spawn...and fewer crappies.  So...like many other Utah crappie ponds the overall crappie population is pretty low and generally not worth making special trips.  But, there are still some in there and I have heard reports of some 15 inchers.
I can confirm a few catches in the last three years. Not me but I can confirm them. It is certainly not the body of water i would go to if that were my target but when ever I go I have rod rigged up and try for a few minutes. I can also confirm Echo with personal catches but still not a place I head to when I have a crappie fix that needs itching.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew