Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoop and Smithies
I don't remember if I have mentioned this before but Cookie and I don't post on social media/BFT/or make videos about every adventure we go on. It's not because we have some secret spots to protect or because we only post when we catch somthing...it is simply because we don't or forget to or did not bring video gear or we were with someone and respect thier privacy or so on and so on....

Which leaves me to a quick update on a couple spots that might be of intrest...( that I forgot to share and had planned to)... no video did not feel the urge to film these trips.

We have been on the hunt for Grayling for a couple weeks. Normally we go to Whiskey Island. It take a bit of shoe leather and some rough off roading but it has been a consistent place to scratch our itch. However it is susceptible to winter kill and intel from a reliable source suggested that it wintered hard. Not a full out kill but a tough hit so we have not laced up our boots for that one.

And considering Cookie has had her MS flare up, longer hikes were also off the table. My notes suggested that our best options might be Smith and Morehouse or Hoop lake. So we explored them both recently. 

I love Smithy but rarely go there except off summer season as it packs a crowd. That was the case this time. The place was loaded with summer crowds. We did not opt to wet a line but even with the crowds we saw fish surface and caught. No grayling mostly Planter bows that were giving younglings a Smile. I do so love that the DWR provides good fishing opportunities for kids who have no issue with the fact that they caught a Planter. Never seen a kid thumb thier nose at a tug.

We also made a long driving route, a differnt day, through sheep creek drainage near spirit lake fishing creeks on the way to our destination of Hoop Lake. I love that area. Very unique geological  formations, big horn sheep, and generally less crowded. Please note the DWR is doing cutthroat rehabilitation in some of those drainage so you can flip a fly for a long time with nothing to show. We did catch fish in the creeks we fished. Photo below of my favorite monster that slammed a little hopper pattern. We got to Hoop late in the afternoon. A lot of surface activity so we were hopeful we might land that grayling but instead we spent our time releasing rainbows. Had a good time letting Cookie practice with a fly rod.

I will be making a post soon about our big plans this next year. We have some big adventures on our mind that we hope to share as we begin our efforts to catch every game fish west of the Rockies, from the bank. That ought to keep us busy.

Cheers

[Image: 20230902-140934.jpg]
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
That's a monster for sure Lance, video or not you always make some great post, this one is no exception. Since you fished Hoop lake, did you also try Long park Res? I think it has grayling as well.
Did not get over there so can't offer any info about it or presence of active grayling but we did stop at a very empty Bever Dam Res ( i think that is what it is called?) Inbetween Hoop and Spirit.

I think I read that it is empty due to mechanical work planned on the dam but I may be mixing that up with some other water body. Anyone know the scope on why it is empty?

Oh and can anyone tell me if my State Park pass is okay to use on the roadside pullouts at East Canyon?. They charge a park and play fee at these roadside pullouts and I can't seem to get a straight answer on what feels like paying double if my Park Pass isn't good enough.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I enjoy your post were ever you go with wife and dog, also my two best fishing partners. Why world you show us both your clean hands when we all know Cookie cleans all the fish ??????????????? Just wondering !
Your Utah state parks pass should be good anywhere, for day-time parking, on reservoirs managed by the Utah State Parks.
(09-03-2023, 10:19 PM)catdaddygar Wrote: I enjoy your post were ever you go with wife and dog, also my two best fishing partners.  Why world you show us both your clean hands when we all know Cookie cleans all the fish ???????????????  Just wondering !

Hey if she gets to fish while I film then she can clean them . It is only fair

(09-03-2023, 10:38 PM)Kent Wrote: Your Utah state parks pass should be good anywhere, for day-time parking, on reservoirs managed by the Utah State Parks.

I agree and that is what I am doing. Wish it was clearly stated in writing somewhere 

- now someone will direct me to a quote that clearly says it - ok with me
If you don't have any problems when fishing Echo or Rockport with them both being State Parks, then I don't see why East Canyon would be any different.
Hey Lance, I used to love to fish Spirit Lake, that is where I learned how to fly fish... Well on the creeks just below Spirit Lake, caught 88 out of one hole that day and went through almost every fly I owned with usually only a few wraps of thread left on the hook before I had to change them out... Too bad if they poisoned them out to restore the cutties... That was a special place in my memories...

On the parking question, I'd think it would be like Bear lake where if you buy a day pass at the state park marina, it's good all around the Utah side of the lake that day... When i was between annual passes last fall/winter I'd buy the pass at the marina and they'd let me into Cisco beach on the other side of the pond... So I'd think it should be the same way if it's managed by the same entity... (bother state park)....Give it a try and let us know how it goes, we'll come support you on your day in court.... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!