Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Icefishing Gear Wish List?
I noticed that Scheels has their icefishing gear out. I need to restock a few things, but have no major purchases planned. As far as a wish list, I have contemplated (coveted?) a 2 person flip over shelter, but would probably need a snowmobile. 

What’s on your icefishing wish list?

jack of all tackle, master of none
I got this back in Aug for a screaming deal:

[Image: newhut.jpg]

[Image: insideviewofhut.jpg]

[Image: hutwithchairdown.jpg]

I've been getting by with an ATV for years, IMO it's more versatile than a snowmobile, IMO
a new pole for my ice tent - broke one last year
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(10-15-2023, 11:21 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I got this back in Aug for a screaming deal:

I've been getting by with an ATV for years, IMO it's more versatile than a snowmobile, IMO

I do have a sportsman 570 but have been nervous to take it out. What do you see as practical limits to snow depth?

jack of all tackle, master of none
(10-16-2023, 03:51 AM)joatmon Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 11:21 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I got this back in Aug for a screaming deal:

I do have a sportsman 570 but have been nervous to take it out. What do you see as practical limits to snow depth?

It really depends on if others have made a trail before I get out but around 8" is about as deep as I want to try and it really helps if I have chains on my ATV, especially on the front wheels. Every year is different but so far so good for the last ten years or more but in most years it isn't a problem at all.
Oh my favorite time of year, gearing up season and all the excitement that goes with it... I had to get a new set of boots to keep my feet warm and I need to spend some time maintaining my snowmobile and smitties to make sure they are ready to go, but I haven't seen anything new that I have to have at this point. I will keep my eyes open, but I think I'm in okay shape.... I look forward to see what you guys are looking at... Soon be that season, we've had frost for the last two nights so it's on the way... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I would need to jack up my old body and put a new one under it.  Haven't had the ability or inclination to get on the ice for several years now.  I miss it.
(10-16-2023, 03:51 AM)joatmon Wrote:

I might have a good set of tire chains that could fit your wheeler, depends on your wheel size. Boy I really depend on my chains.
I haven't been ice fishing in years and thinking of getting rid of all the gear I have.
I too am looking forward to this ice season with the high water.  I am hoping to catch one of those toothy critter through the ice this year.
(10-16-2023, 07:22 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I would need to jack up my old body and put a new one under it.  Haven't had the ability or inclination to get on the ice for several years now.  I miss it.

Pat, I know a guy that got pretty good at taking his FIL out on the ice after his easy mobility days had passed... If you would like to go I'm pretty sure I can get you out on the ice safe and I've got a great shelter for fishing two... Let me know and I'd love to have you join me...  Jeff
(PS.. We had Rich sit on the plywood deck at the back of my X-200 sled and I just pulled him out to where we fished with the snowmobile.)  Never did lose him, although one time he did get a little nervous on the steep hill at Newton...

(10-17-2023, 02:38 AM)lovetofish Wrote: I haven't been ice fishing in years and thinking of getting rid of all the gear I have.

Make sure you keep your favorite rod so I can take you out after.... If you just need someone to go with let me know... If it's health related I can do the same deal I offered Pat.... It's not easy, but still lots of fun... As long as it's not a slush monster day... Let me know what works...  Jeff

(10-17-2023, 11:59 AM)hook_sets Wrote: I too am looking forward to this ice season with the high water.  I am hoping to catch one of those toothy critter through the ice this year.

Phong are you talking walleye, or tiger muskie?  I'd bet you are one of the few that can ice an eye, but that has to be a tough challenge, especially if you do it at Utah Lake... Someday I'd like to nock that off my bucket list as well... Walleye through the ice... Good luck I hope to see you enter that on the ice contest... Later Jeff
(10-17-2023, 12:23 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 07:22 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I would need to jack up my old body and put a new one under it.  Haven't had the ability or inclination to get on the ice for several years now.  I miss it.

Pat, I know a guy that got pretty good at taking his FIL out on the ice after his easy mobility days had passed... If you would like to go I'm pretty sure I can get you out on the ice safe and I've got a great shelter for fishing two... Let me know and I'd love to have you join me...  Jeff
(PS.. We had Rich sit on the plywood deck at the back of my X-200 sled and I just pulled him out to where we fished with the snowmobile.)  Never did lose him, although one time he did get a little nervous on the steep hill at Newton...

Thanks fer the kindly offer, but there is more to it than that.  I have just gone through my "ice fishing phase" and prefer other kinds of fishing.  Hard for me to endure the current poor fishing conditions when I got rememberies of the super fishing in the "olden days".  Used to be able to get out and catch a lot of fish even without the electronics, power sleds, GPS, jawjackers, tents and other stuff you gotta have to do it these days.  I got rid of all my ice fishing gear and don't care to have to take out a third mortgage to gear up again.
(10-17-2023, 12:49 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Thanks fer the kindly offer, but there is more to it than that.  I have just gone through my "ice fishing phase" and prefer other kinds of fishing.  Hard for me to endure the current poor fishing conditions when I got rememberies of the super fishing in the "olden days".  Used to be able to get out and catch a lot of fish even without the electronics, power sleds, GPS, jawjackers, tents and other stuff you gotta have to do it these days.  I got rid of all my ice fishing gear and don't care to have to take out a third mortgage to gear up again.

Understand, but if you decide you want to go.... I might have all the crap that goes with current ice fishing necessities, other than live scope, and so you don't have to re-gear, just come and use my stuff (I probably have 20 rods to choose from)... Let me know if you see a day and want to try it.... I hope to be going out now I'm almost done farming for the year... Still cutting and baling my last crop of hay, but will be done soon... Later Jeff

(10-17-2023, 02:38 AM)lovetofish Wrote: I haven't been ice fishing in years and thinking of getting rid of all the gear I have.

Make sure you keep your favorite rod so I can take you out after.... If you just need someone to go with let me know... If it's health related I can do the same deal I offered Pat.... It's not easy, but still lots of fun... As long as it's not a slush monster day... Let me know what works...  Jeff

(10-17-2023, 11:59 AM)hook_sets Wrote: I too am looking forward to this ice season with the high water.  I am hoping to catch one of those toothy critter through the ice this year.

Phong are you talking walleye, or tiger muskie?  I'd bet you are one of the few that can ice an eye, but that has to be a tough challenge, especially if you do it at Utah Lake... Someday I'd like to nock that off my bucket list as well... Walleye through the ice... Good luck I hope to see you enter that on the ice contest... Later Jeff
I am hoping to get a northern pike through the ice this year, got my walleye a few years ago.
Pat, you have not even begun to see the fishing decline in the ice fishing world.
Livescope will be the death to our Utah panfishery.
My thoughts on livescope for fishing - just because you can doesn't mean you should. Might as well fish in a hatchery. Very little skill to it. I like fishing for the mental aspect, trying to locate the fish and imagining in my head what's going on with my lure, etc. Thank goodness electronics don't apply to fly fishing.
(10-17-2023, 07:14 PM)hook_sets Wrote: I am hoping to get a northern pike through the ice this year, got my walleye a few years ago.

Good luck, that would be interesting on the ice rod... Are you heading to Yuba, or hoping for one out of Utah Lake? Good Luck... J
I'm hoping to buy a bigger tent so I can camp out on the ice.
(10-17-2023, 07:14 PM)hook_sets Wrote:

I am hoping to get a northern pike through the ice this year, got my walleye a few years ago.

I have caught pike threw the ice at yuba. A real fight, I was using a jig with a standup head, so the bait (a long chartreuse worm) would stick up and could be wiggled .  One important note use a leader that is very tough, they will bite off monofilament.
Just remembered I have taken northern pike at Redmond reservoir too.
(10-18-2023, 10:44 PM)percheye Wrote: I'm hoping to buy a bigger tent so I can camp out on the ice.

Are you planning on using cots, or building a deck on the sled and sleeping on it?  I fish with a lot of guys that have done some really cool things with their sleeper tent rigs if you're looking for ideas let me know.... Later Jeff