Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall Banquet Questions???
Hey Everyone,
[b]It's that time of year again for our annual fall banquet and award shin dig...  Just wondering how much interest there is in having this event this year?  I haven't checked prices yet, but if it's any indication on what my work lunch price has done over the last year it will likely cost double what it did last year... I'd expect close to $20 per person this year...  At this price, how many are interested in attending a get together?  I can get it set up at Sonora Grill in Ogden fairly easily, since my son in law is the head chef there, but we can also look at setting this up somewhere else, so please suggest other restaurants that would provide us a private or semi private area for our get together, and what that cost would be...  We have typically looked at Wednesday nights because it's easier to avoid a crowd so we can get in short notice... I would suggest November 15th to avoid the holidays and still have time to prepare prizes for the contest...  Let's look at 5:30 start time, allowing for folks that get off work at 5:00 to attend.  Please respond with your thoughts as soon as possible so we can get our reservations in... Thanks Jeff[/b]

[b]PS... Usually we just get together and visit and tell some fish stories and hand out awards at the end of the night... Sometimes we can even talk Pat into bringing his supply of goodies so we can stalk up for ice season or the fall perch runs... or even resupply what we lost during the cat season...  [/b]
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Hey is Tuesday or Thursday nights any better? We can probably get in on those nights as well... Just an extra drive down for me, but I have to hang around for a couple hours after work the other way, so I can do either nights... J
(11-01-2023, 06:45 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Everyone,
[b]It's that time of year again for our annual fall banquet and award shin dig...  Just wondering how much interest there is in having this event this year?  I haven't checked prices yet, but if it's any indication on what my work lunch price has done over the last year it will likely cost double what it did last year... I'd expect close to $20 per person this year...  At this price, how many are interested in attending a get together?  I can get it set up at Sonora Grill in Ogden fairly easily, since my son in law is the head chef there, but we can also look at setting this up somewhere else, so please suggest other restaurants that would provide us a private or semi private area for our get together, and what that cost would be...  We have typically looked at Wednesday nights because it's easier to avoid a crowd so we can get in short notice... I would suggest November 15th to avoid the holidays and still have time to prepare prizes for the contest...  Let's look at 5:30 start time, allowing for folks that get off work at 5:00 to attend.  Please respond with your thoughts as soon as possible so we can get our reservations in... Thanks Jeff[/b]

[b]PS... Usually we just get together and visit and tell some fish stories and hand out awards at the end of the night... Sometimes we can even talk Pat into bringing his supply of goodies so we can stalk up for ice season or the fall perch runs... or even resupply what we lost during the cat season...  [/b]

I thought you said that place we use to go to was going to be open this year, wasn't it called Holy Smoke or something like that? I won't be attending if it's at the place we went to last year.
I'll give Jeff a call at Holy Smoke and see if they are up and running again and if they will have an area for us to meet... Not being down here for work as often I haven't been in there for a couple years... I'll give him a call and get some options... J
(11-01-2023, 09:02 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'll give Jeff a call at Holy Smoke and see if they are up and running again and if they will have an area for us to meet... Not being down here for work as often I haven't been in there for a couple years... I'll give him a call and get some options... J

That would be great Jeff, thanks for checking into it. I wonder if that does not work out, if anyone would be interested in Golden Corral, Sizzler or Chuck a Rama Undecided
As for me, since I'm not in the senior discount I'd rather go to somewhere with good food for the same price or less... Those places are pretty expensive and I tend to over eat if it's all you can eat.. That's just my vote... J
(11-02-2023, 11:47 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: As for me, since I'm not in the senior discount I'd rather go to somewhere with good food for the same price or less... Those places are pretty expensive and I tend to over eat if it's all you can eat.. That's just my vote... J

Sizzler isn't all you can eat, unless you get their salad bar but they do have some items on the menu that are, like their shrimp. My wife and I went there last month and I got shrimp and steak for 13.99, it wasn't just for seniors. Then there is that new place in Riverdale call Cheddars. They have a great menu but it's not all you can eat but it's around $20 per person, you can find things cheaper there but expect to spend around $20 per person.
So I haven't talked to Jeff yet, but per the internet, his new place is called the Coop and it's next to Roosters there in Layton. Per that post you have to be 21 to enter. I'm not sure how this works I mean restaurants serve alcohol, what makes it so you have to be 21... If that is the case we probably will need to choose another location so our younger members can attend... I'll call later this morning and find out the details.

One thing I am wondering about is anyone interested beside Curt? A lot of folks have looked at the post and noone has said whether they might be interested or not. Give me a yes maybe or no... If it's mostly no's I won't waste my time trying to figure something out. We need to get at least 8 to a dozen to be worth putting something together, so let me know... Thanks Jeff
Jeff, I probably will not attend again this year.
No (I tried just posting "No", but it wouldn't post, because the message was too short).  If it were further south (SLC area) I would reconsider.
Thanks Kent and Rocky, appreciate the response... I know what you're saying about not wanting to travel too far to attend, I'm sort of the same way, I don't want to go further than an hour away from home as well... Thank you... Jeff
I'm out as well Jeff. Busy time of the year and lots going on in my life -- turkey day, weddings, graduations, birthdays, stuff like that. Then too, freeway driving is becoming very risky behavior nowadays. That said, I will support the banquet any way I can.

Of note -- the summer get-together we had this summer in Provo had limited participation. Lots of fun and good food but mostly attended by "southern" fishers. Maybe we need to consider busy schedules and time of the year and re-evaluate having statewide banquets. Maybe let the southern guys put one together and the norther guys another?? I agree it is always fun to get together and meet all of the unknown fishers and mingle with and share lies with all the guys. Don't mean to be a party pooper but just wanted to offer some ideas.

Appreciate all of the effort you and Jim put into this. I really like the new scoring system and I am gearing up for next year when I expect to finally find that 36 inch cat.

BLK/Lynn
We are a maybe. Have a couple things we would need to move around if you get enough but could probably do it
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Hate to be a party pooper but Tubebabe and I are likely no-shows this year.  I did not put any effort into the cat contest at all this year and didn't even put anything on the board.  I think I am in the wind-down phase for most things fishing.  Will probably be getting rid of a lot of my gear in the next few months.
(11-03-2023, 09:02 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Hate to be a party pooper but Tubebabe and I are likely no-shows this year.  I did not put any effort into the cat contest at all this year and didn't even put anything on the board.  I think I am in the wind-down phase for most things fishing.  Will probably be getting rid of a lot of my gear in the next few months.

I'm sorry to hear that Pat, hopefully things change but I can understand where your coming from if they don't.
(11-01-2023, 06:45 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Everyone,

Sorry Jeff . I won't be able to come this year.
There's Always Time For One More Cast
It's a no for Violet and I.

rj
Jeff
Sounds like a big shindig is unlikely. Maybe just an informal get together for those who can make it...
Tell a few lies and share a few stories
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thanks everyone, I was concerned it would kind of be this way this year. I think everyone that usually attends has expressed a no go this year, so I think we just as well put this one off and I think Lynn's suggestion may be something we need to consider, traveling seems to be more stressful lately as the traffic continues to increase. The fall get together has always been a lot less popular than the flotilla, so maybe we need to look at doing spring up right... As long as no one feels slighted, let's cancel this banquet. If you do want to get together let me know and we can take Lances advice and meet somewhere for supper, no program... Thanks all... Jeff