Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A tale of two trips (Willard)
It's not often I squeeze in two float tube trips in the same week.  The combination of age, health, economics, weather and family commitments usually limit my excursions to one carefully chosen day each week.  But this week I hit Willard N. Marina on both Tuesday and Thursday.  And I'm feeling it.

Tuesday (Halloween) it was a brisk 27 degrees at launch...warming only to the high 40s by midday.  Thursday it was a bit warmer...starting out at 34 and rocketing up to just over 50 by noon departure.  Water temps were on either side of 50 both days...with no appreciable warming.

With apologies to the late Charles Dickens...these trips were not the best of trips...nor the worst of trips.  I didn't catch as many perch as I would have liked, but still got plenty of tugs...thanks to the everlovin' kitties.  I scratched out 5 footlong perch on Tuesday and a couple of cats.  Thursday I stayed away from the perch armada outside the marina and was unable to bag any perch.  But I did get molested by about 7 chunky cats.
[Image: WILLARD-FLOATILLA.jpg] [Image: FIVE-FER-DINNER.jpg]

One of the highlights of Tuesday's perchin' was getting a rare double on perch...one on each rod at the same time.  And then I followed it up with catching back to back cats in the same area...first on one rod and then as soon as I released the first my second rod went bendo.  Double double.
[Image: PERCH-DOUBLE.jpg] [b][Image: C-R-KITTY.jpg]

Thursday was overcast in the morning and the perch bite seemed slower...for the boats in the armada.  I took off on a search mission...first back in the marina and then out to a couple of spots outside where I have caught perch in the past.  After trying multiple spots, with a variety of lures, baits and presentations, I was reminded of the famous quote of Thomas Edison.  History tells us that he conducted over 1000 experiments before finding an electric light bulb that worked.  When asked how it felt to fail 1000 times, Mr. Edison answered that he did not view it as 1000 failures...just 1000 ways that would not work on the way to finding one that would.[/b]

Those diehards in the boats who stayed anchored or spot locked in "the zone" almost all caught perch through the morning.  And I know from several years experience that slow vertical presentations will catch a lot more of these porky perch than fast moving stuff.  But I just didn't wanna tie up to someone's boat...although I was invited.  I fish more for the esthetics and solitude than group gratification.

I did catch quite a few cats on the perchy stuff I was using.  And they stretched my string  and bent my poor light perch sticks something fierce.  I got in some good tugs, so all was not lost.  And I know that before ice covers the surface at Willard I will get in some good harvests...like I did last year on Thanksgiving.

[Image: MARINA-CAT.jpg]  [Image: CONDO-KITTY.jpg]  [Image: WILLARD-CATCH.jpg]

(11-03-2023, 03:08 PM)TubeDude Wrote: It's not often I squeeze in two float tube trips in the same week.  The combination of age, health, economics, weather and family commitments usually limit my excursions to one carefully chosen day each week.  But this week I hit Willard N. Marina on both Tuesday and Thursday.  And I'm feeling it.

Tuesday (Halloween) it was a brisk 27 degrees at launch...warming only to the high 40s by midday.  Thursday it was a bit warmer...starting out at 34 and rocketing up to just over 50 by noon departure.  Water temps were on either side of 50 both days...with no appreciable warming.

With apologies to the late Charles Dickens...these trips were not the best of trips...nor the worst of trips.  I didn't catch as many perch as I would have liked, but still got plenty of tugs...thanks to the everlovin' kitties.  I scratched out 5 footlong perch on Tuesday and a couple of cats.  Thursday I stayed away from the perch armada outside the marina and was unable to bag any perch.  But I did get molested by about 7 chunky cats.

One of the highlights of Tuesday's perchin' was getting a rare double on perch...one on each rod at the same time.  And then I followed it up with catching back to back cats in the same area...first on one rod and then as soon as I released the first my second rod went bendo.  Double double.

Thursday was overcast in the morning and the perch bite seemed slower...for the boats in the armada.  I took off on a search mission...first back in the marina and then out to a couple of spots outside where I have caught perch in the past.  After trying multiple spots, with a variety of lures, baits and presentations, I was reminded of the famous quote of Thomas Edison.  History tells us that he conducted over 1000 experiments before finding an electric light bulb that worked.  When asked how it felt to fail 1000 times, Mr. Edison answered that he did not view it as 1000 failures...just 1000 ways that would not work on the way to finding one that would.[/b]

Those diehards in the boats who stayed anchored or spot locked in "the zone" almost all caught perch through the morning.  And I know from several years experience that slow vertical presentations will catch a lot more of these porky perch than fast moving stuff.  But I just didn't wanna tie up to someone's boat...although I was invited.  I fish more for the esthetics and solitude than group gratification.

I did catch quite a few cats on the perchy stuff I was using.  And they stretched my string  and bent my poor light perch sticks something fierce.  I got in some good tugs, so all was not lost.  And I know that before ice covers the surface at Willard I will get in some good harvests...like I did last year on Thanksgiving.

Tugs is tugs and solitude is a nice feeling sometimes. Loved the Edison story's way to just keep trying. We can relate and one day we too hope to have just the right combination of technique and offering that they just cannot refuse.
Hummm RP or Willard. Its nice to have choices.

Did you do a video? I did not see the link but I am on lunch break and scrolling fast to catch up
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(11-03-2023, 06:07 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Hummm RP or Willard. Its nice to have choices.

Did you do a video? I did not see the link but I am on lunch break and scrolling fast to catch up

I shot some segments on both days but deemed the sum total not worthy of a separate video.  I got standards, ya know.  Not very high, but still standards.

If ya wanna see some perchies caught from my tube here is a link to my video from Thanksgiving day last year.  I estimated that I caught somewhere close to 65-70...and kept about half that many.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1SNbNXyMpU
(11-03-2023, 06:12 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(11-03-2023, 06:07 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Hummm RP or Willard. Its nice to have choices.

I shot some segments on both days but deemed the sum total not worthy of a separate video.  I got standards, ya know.  Not very high, but still standards.

If ya wanna see some perchies caught from my tube here is a link to my video from Thanksgiving day last year.  I estimated that I caught somewhere close to 65-70...and kept about half that many.

Thanks Pat. Waiting for my survey class to show up. Good to watch some perch catching while I wait
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Hay pat I like that flattened glittered jig I think I would like one or two.
Have you worked up the kokanee flasher for me?
(11-03-2023, 06:27 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Hay pat I like that flattened glittered jig I think I would like one or two.
Have you worked up the kokanee flasher for me?
I have several jig molds that lend themselves well to making the flattened jig heads.  I believe a larger profile can sometimes help draw in more fish...and flattening allows a bigger presentation with minimum weight.  Here are a couple of pics of some of the goodies I have had success with.   And I am working on some new stuff.  SURPRISE.
[Image: BAIT-JIGS.jpg] [Image: BUZZ-TAIL-JIGS.jpg]  [Image: TWIRLY-JIGS.jpg] [Image: TWIRLY-PERCH-TEARS.jpg]

[Image: DROPPER-JIGS.jpg]

About the koke buzz blade flashers.  Haven't made them yet but will soon.  My plan is to make two models for you to try.  First will be one large buzz blade with the two colors on opposite sides.  A different presentation (SPINNING) than a rolling and slashing blade attractor.  My other thought was to use two slightly smaller blades...one in front of the other...with each being all one different color.  I am sure I can come up with suitable colors with the paints and glitters I have.  Otherwise, if you want to buy the prism tape I can make some with that.

(11-03-2023, 06:19 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(11-03-2023, 06:12 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Thanks Pat. Waiting for my survey class to show up. Good to watch some perch catching while I wait
One afterthought.  You would probably do better at Rockport...shore casting...than you could hope to do at Willard.  Still some perch within reach of a cast...along with a lot of rainbows right now.
(11-03-2023, 03:08 PM)I’m TubeDude Wrote: It's not often I squeeze in two float tube trips in the same week.  The combination of age, health, economics, weather and family commitments usually limit my excursions to one carefully chosen day each week.  But this week I hit Willard N. Marina on both Tuesday and Thursday.  And I'm feeling it.

Thanks for the report Pat, I was out there today, and had no success with the perch. I did get a very nice wiper when I gave up my perch activities. I would love to get some goodies from you when you can spare some. 
(11-03-2023, 09:42 PM)Redrebel Wrote: [quote pid="1149876" dateline="1699024138"]
Thanks for the report Pat, I was out there today, and had no success with the perch. I did get a very nice wiper when I gave up my perch activities. I would love to get some goodies from you when you can spare some. 

[/quote]

Congrats on the wiper.  They pull good.  And there are more of them that come in shallow like the perch this time of year.  I have had some good wiper catches while fishing for perch.  They are both in there for the dying shadlets.
[Image: WIPER-1.jpg]

You are always welcome to stop by.  Just give me fair warning so I can get rid of the empties and the girls.  (Ha)  I don't yet have a lot of the new stuff made up...still in bait-a testing...but I'm sure we can put together a good starter kit for you.  
When I first glanced at your post, before I read it I saw all those perch and I thought you killed them yesterday. Ira kept wanting to go into the marina because he thought you were killing them in there. Sorry to hear the perch catching did not work out for you but glad the cats were willing to give you some tugs.
(11-04-2023, 12:34 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: When I first glanced at your post, before I read it I saw all those perch and I thought you killed them yesterday. Ira kept wanting to go into the marina because he thought you were killing them in there. Sorry to hear the perch catching did not work out for you but glad the cats were willing to give you some tugs.

I did find some active perch inside the marina on Tuesday...which was bright and sunny.  But when I went back to my "spot" on Thursday the sky was still overcast.  And I think perch are always more active on bright days.  I saw lots of perch squiggles on sonar Thursday but they just weren't active.  If I had waited them out...until the sun broke out of the clouds...I might have bagged a few.  We'll never know.  At least I got one cat inside and several more outside.  Even in the colder water the cats fought much harder and longer than a wimpy perch.  At least that's what I can say to try to make up for blanking on perch.

Wait until next time.