Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Club???
So in my "retirement " which ended up being teaching shop and engineering at my local high school i have a group of about 20 students who are asking if I would please start a high school fishing club. They don't want to fish tournaments but rather get togther and go / learn about different fishing methods and do some lure fly making tutorials. Anyone in the group ever been involved in something like that and can provide advice? I have contacted an organization that sponsor this sort a club to get info.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Sounds like a great idea for the young men. I've heard of them before especially bass fishing. Adam Eagle had two brothers on his program awhile back that I believe had started something like this. You might contact him for some info. Good luck sounds like a fun project.
You know, I stumbled across lure making videos on youtube, and saw how with wood, stainless steel wire, some lead, paint, paint, patience, and creativity, I could take some ideas that have been floating around in my head and try to make them myself! For about a year now I have been experimenting making my own lures (crank baits, jerk baits, rapala style, and the reason I started- BIG vertical baits for macs at the Gorge).
If you have a shop at school, you're halfway there! I have been learning to airbrush to paint them. I have been utilizing maple from limbs I had to trim off trees in the front yard (after letting the wood dry, of course).
I think if you had a handful of eager and willing kids, this would be a project that would be fun as heck to do, and they would have something tangible to hold in their own hands after, and can USE it and possibly have complete and utter satisfaction if they actually catch a fish on their own creation!
1- start with a hunk of wood. Determine what kind of bait you are all going to make. 2- carve it out and sand it down. 3- Drill holes in bottom for pouring lead for ballast. 4- Drill holes for line tie and hook hangers. 5- make line tie and hook hangers out of stainless steel wire (the wire they make for tying bolts in aircraft mechanical stuff works great). This is achieved with a nail in a vice and wire ends inserted into a hand drill chuck and twisting. Epoxy in place. 6- pour lead. Check your buoyancy in a bucket of water and add lead, or drill out lead to balance. 7- fill holes with baking soda and super glue. 8- sand flush. 9- seal whole thing in super glue (thin stuff, like, starbond brand). 10- sand down again with fine paper (like 220). 11- paint that baby till your heart is content. 12- finish with polyurethane. 13- Clean hook hangers and line tie, and add split rings and hooks!
I think working with a group and going through planned steps in each meeting would be an awesome experience for these young fisher folk. Would make for fun work during the cold months, too!
There are a lot of youtube videos that would give you good info on the rough outline I lined out above.
Hope that gives you something to mull over, at least!
Josh
I have dabbled in the arts of making flies and lures...and in building and repairing rods.  If you get a cohesive group together and would like my assistance for some show-and-tell I would be happy to participate.  I have done adult education classes in the past on fly-tying, fly fishing and rod building.  I work cheap and I'm worth it.
If you're looking for ice fishing set ups and camping info, let me know I can probably get you some great contracts and if not I could help out... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
That'd be cool, making jigs and plastics is fairly easy, rods are just time consuming, lot of great places to get blanks of lures to paint, from small ice jigs to crank baits.
Thanks for the all the info , PMs, and offers to help. As I get this off the ground and rolling I will seek some help Smile
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(11-04-2023, 05:50 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: So in my "retirement " which ended up being teaching shop and engineering at my local high school i have a group of about 20 students who are asking if I would please start a high school fishing club. They don't want to fish tournaments but rather get togther and go / learn about different fishing methods and do some lure fly making tutorials. Anyone in the group ever been involved in something like that and can provide advice? I have contacted an organization that sponsor this sort a club to get info.

Which high school? Ill get a transfer paper lol. I really wish my highschool had a fishing team.
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
I'd be happy to do a webinar to help with jigs and plastics