Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall challenge and cat contest -- The End
I had a great year in the contest. It was very nice to have plenty of water this year and I hope we get a good winter to continue the flow.

Congratulations to all of the winners, especially Jon (Dirtbag) for hauling in a 33 1/2 inch best cat. There were a lot of nice cats entered and a good number of 30+ entries. I caught a bunch of 30 inchers this year but I could only stretch a couple of them past the 30 inch mark. That 36 incher continues to elude me but as this year ends I am preparing to continue the chase next year. That 36er next year for sure.

The best part of this year for me was the acquisition of a new (er) boat. Richard and Vi decided to up-grade their Lund and as soon as I talked to them about their new boat and they mentioned that they were selling their "old" boat, a 2019 Lund 1600, I decided to have a good look at it. Richard takes pride in his possessions, and I knew their Lund was almost like new. I tried everything I could think of to justify buying a new boat at this point in my life and the best justification I could come up with was: I deserve it! So I bought the boat and have no regrets as it allows me to kick back and fish in the lap of luxury.

[Image: IMG-1032.jpg]

The boat is well equipped and totally reliable. The best features on the boat are the Helix 5 and Hellix 7 sonars, a Minn Kota Ulltera that deploys at the push of a button and will probably be a life saver for me, (no more teetering on the bow while I drop the electric), and, of course, the 4-stroke motor. I gave my old Tracker to my grandsons but kept all of the great memories that I had with them in that boat.

Another first for me this year was being checked by the DWR guys while on the water. I was fishing in the Mud Lake area when a couple of officers snuck up behind me to check my licenses. They were in the area primarily to check on the duck hunters but they immediately identified me as a suspicious looking character. I was ready for them with everything the law requires. They wanted to see one of the two big cats I had in my livewell so I grabbed one by the arm pits and hoisted him up. The big cat shook and I shook -- not easy to hold a big catfish up for a visual. Luckily, I was able to hide the big June Suckers in my live well. Wink The officers were good guys and our encounter was very positive.

Again, congratulations to all who participated this year. I like the new scoring format that allows for all species of fish to be entered. A special thanks to Jeff and Jim for their efforts to keep the scores up to date, Well done!

BLH/Lynn
Heard them June Suckers are good with a lemon-pepper aoliee sauce. Heard it from a guy in a black and white stripped suit. He did not chat long.. Said he had to run or maybe it was he was on the run
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Hey Lynn,
Congrats on the new boat, that will be great for you... Sure glad you enjoy the contests, I was just wondering if there was interest enough to keep doing this or not? I enjoy it, but I need to make sure others enjoy it as well... Well good luck on 36, that will be fun to see him when you get him up for a picture... Looking forward to that day... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!