Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chubs at Lost Creek?
I just finished doing an inventory of my frozen bait.  I found that I have too much of some bait and not enough of other bait.  The bait that I need to replenish are chubs.  I have always fished for chubs in the spring or summer.  Has anyone, on BFT, fished for chubs (likely, from shore because the boat is at Lee's Marine), at Lost Creek, this time of year and if yes, how have you done?
(11-09-2023, 06:05 PM)Kent Wrote: I just finished doing an inventory of my frozen bait.  I found that I have too much of some bait and not enough of other bait.  The bait that I need to replenish are chubs.  I have always fished for chubs in the spring or summer.  Has anyone, on BFT, fished for chubs (likely, from shore because the boat is at Lee's Marine), at Lost Creek, this time of year and if yes, how have you done?

We have had success near the boat ramp this fall. And by the dam but more in the boat ramp area
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
A good inventory must be a challenge in as many fish that you wrestle with. Lol  A question though about your chub bait. What type of salt and how heavy on your fillets?
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(11-09-2023, 08:20 PM)BURLEY Wrote: A good inventory must be a challenge in as many fish that you wrestle with. Lol  A question though about your chub bait. What type of salt and how heavy on your fillets?

I have been fortunate to get my hands on some powder salt.  I just put the filets in a bucket and dump a few cups of salt on the filets and stir them in the salt until they are heavily covered in salt.  I then vacuum pack them and toss them in the freezer.  With them being salted they are not frozen stiff, even at zero degrees. However, even though they aren't stiff they are still zero degrees, when taken out of the freezer (I got frostbite once to prove it).

(11-09-2023, 07:16 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(11-09-2023, 06:05 PM)Kent Wrote: I just finished doing an inventory of my frozen bait.  I found that I have too much of some bait and not enough of other bait.  The bait that I need to replenish are chubs.  I have always fished for chubs in the spring or summer.  Has anyone, on BFT, fished for chubs (likely, from shore because the boat is at Lee's Marine), at Lost Creek, this time of year and if yes, how have you done?

We have had success near the boat ramp this fall. And by the dam but more in the boat ramp area

Thanks, I have had my best luck by the boat ramp, so it sounds like they are still in the same area this time of year.  Have you found them hugging the bottom or suspended?  If suspended, how far down?
We fished Lost Creek yesterday, both by the boat ramp and on the south side of the dam.  We caught a couple trout and zero chubs at both locations.  Fortunately, we drove to another location (not at Lost Creek) and found some chubs.
(11-15-2023, 04:57 PM)Kent Wrote: We fished Lost Creek yesterday, both by the boat ramp and on the south side of the dam.  We caught a couple trout and zero chubs at both locations.  Fortunately, we drove to another location (not at Lost Creek) and found some chubs.

Did you try a cast net by the ramp?
(11-15-2023, 04:57 PM)Kent Wrote: We fished Lost Creek yesterday, both by the boat ramp and on the south side of the dam.  We caught a couple trout and zero chubs at both locations.  Fortunately, we drove to another location (not at Lost Creek) and found some chubs.

I have had similar experience at lost creek. I caught dozens of chubs in August near the ramp right on the bottom. Any hook with a small piece of worm would get a chub every time down. We even caught a few trolling on Koke gear that day.  However a year or 2 ago I went to LC late in the year about this time for a bait run and got skunked on chubs. I think they must move somewhere when the water gets cold. Has anyone caught chubs at LC in November or through the ice and care to chime in on where you found them?
(11-15-2023, 05:36 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Nope, I didn't see any fish around the shoreline, so I doubt that would have accomplished anything.
(11-15-2023, 09:36 PM)Kent Wrote:

Nope, I didn't see any fish around the shoreline, so I doubt that would have accomplished anything.

It could be the chubs are not next to shore but they could be just off shore , if it drops off into deeper water. 30 FOW is where we normally see them.
(11-15-2023, 10:44 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-15-2023, 09:36 PM)Kent Wrote:

It could be the chubs are not next to shore but they could be just off shore , if it drops off into deeper water. 30 FOW is where we normally see them.

We tried long casts and bounced back to shore. Other than the couple trout we got zero bites and several snags.
I looked at my notes and the latest I can find catching chubs at LC was late Oct. But that is as late as we have tried to so that sure doesn't mean they won't bite in Nov. There is a hole over on the north side of the dam that we picked them up in late Oct from the shore too. Might have to try a Nov run just to see if I can find them.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew