Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview help
Just looking for a little info and recommendations on pineview. Wanting to try it sometime this week on the boat. I’m game for crappie, bass, trout, Muskie,… basically anything other than work! What’s good this time of year to focus on and what’s the best approach up there? I should have tackle for about anything there just not sure what to focus on and where to go??? Any help would be awesome  and appreciated!
(11-14-2023, 03:20 PM)Fubarfishin Wrote: Just looking for a little info and recommendations on pineview. Wanting to try it sometime this week on the boat. I’m game for crappie, bass, trout, Muskie,… basically anything other than work! What’s good this time of year to focus on and what’s the best approach up there? I should have tackle for about anything there just not sure what to focus on and where to go??? Any help would be awesome  and appreciated!

You will find Crappie, Bluegill and Perch suspended in 30'-40' of water in the Narrows I prefer the south side. Vertically jigging the same stuff you would use ice fishing such as Small spoons, Plastics, Hali jigs tipped with small piece of worm should produce. I am really looking forward to ice fishing Pineview this year, the Crappie should be on fire with a lot of 12" fish.
(11-14-2023, 03:20 PM)Fubarfishin Wrote: Just looking for a little info and recommendations on pineview. Wanting to try it sometime this week on the boat. I’m game for crappie, bass, trout, Muskie,… basically anything other than work! What’s good this time of year to focus on and what’s the best approach up there? I should have tackle for about anything there just not sure what to focus on and where to go??? Any help would be awesome  and appreciated!

You might have a tough time catching trout there, your best option this time of the year are crappie and perch. The perch will be closer to the bottom, the crappie you will find suspended and when you find them they will be in huge numbers. The best method for both perch and crappie is vertical jigging. We usually do best in the narrows but Outdoors with Adam Eakle had a show a few weeks back where they were doing good just down from the launch area, across from the swim beach there at Cemetery point. Are you aware they are now charging $23 to launch and the only launch area that's open is at Anderson cove?
According to this, the Port Ramp is open: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcnf/re...ecid=74213

I would not entirely trust that, however, as I don't see a date on that webpage. The "open" season generally ends on Sept 30, after which they lock the gates.
(11-14-2023, 06:09 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: According to this, the Port Ramp is open: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcnf/re...ecid=74213

I would not entirely trust that, however, as I don't see a date on that webpage. The "open" season generally ends on Sept 30, after which they lock the gates.

I fished it the last week of October, and have driven past several times before and since. Indeed, Port Ramp is chained up, presumably for the season. I've been at different times of the day and haven't seen it open during any part.

There were large schools of fish easily picked up on the fish finder in many different areas, several mentioned above. They were biting jig heads w/ small plastics (most combos with white produced). My best fish came on perch rattle spoons right near bottom.
(11-14-2023, 04:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

You might have a tough time catching trout there, your best option this time of the year are crappie and perch. The perch will be closer to the bottom, the crappie you will find suspended and when you find them they will be in huge numbers. The best method for both perch and crappie is vertical jigging. We usually do best in the narrows but Outdoors with Adam Eakle had a show a few weeks back where they were doing good just down from the launch area, across from the swim beach there at Cemetery point. Are you aware they are now charging $23 to launch and the only launch area that's open is at Anderson cove?

Good to know the launch info! That is pretty steep for a launch fee, must be a nice ramp!

(11-15-2023, 02:09 AM)EyLayo Wrote:
(11-14-2023, 06:09 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: According to this, the Port Ramp is open: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcnf/re...ecid=74213

I fished it the last week of October, and have driven past several times before and since. Indeed, Port Ramp is chained up, presumably for the season. I've been at different times of the day and haven't seen it open during any part.

There were large schools of fish easily picked up on the fish finder in many different areas, several mentioned above. They were biting jig heads w/ small plastics (most combos with white produced). My best fish came on perch rattle spoons right near bottom.

Awesome! Thank you for the info, looking forward to something different. So if I’m understanding everybody correctly there is only one launch open and it’s spendy correct?

Thank you, that is Good to know, i presume the Anderson launch will stay open til it ices up?? I’d hate to drive up and not be able to launch.

You might have a tough time catching trout there, your best option this time of the year are crappie and perch. The perch will be closer to the bottom, the crappie you will find suspended and when you find them they will be in huge numbers. The best method for both perch and crappie is vertical jigging. We usually do best in the narrows but Outdoors with Adam Eakle had a show a few weeks back where they were doing good just down from the launch area, across from the swim beach there at Cemetery point. Are you aware they are now charging $23 to launch and the only launch area that's open is at Anderson cove 
Are the narrows the south west skinny arm? Also is pineview a state park?? I have a pass for state parks

Thank you, that is Good to know, i presume the Anderson launch will stay open til it ices up?? I’d hate to drive up and not be able to launch.

(11-15-2023, 02:09 AM)EyLayo Wrote:

Awesome! Thank you for the info, looking forward to something different. So if I’m understanding everybody correctly there is only one launch open and it’s spendy correct?
Only one launch at the moment, and excessively spendy, yes. It is NOT a state park, which is exactly the problem.

The Port Ramp was closed when we tried it on October 10th.
The Anderson cove launch is open all year, even during ice fishing season. The narrows are the arm closest to the dam.  Last year in the Fall they started changing to launch, when they never did before. Pineview is just like Strawberry, they are a concession. Even at state parks they charge less in the Winter/fall but not these guys, $23 is what they charge in the Summer, these guys are just greedy.
(11-15-2023, 05:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: The Anderson cove launch is open all year, even during ice fishing season. The narrows are the arm closest to the dam.  Last year in the Fall they started changing to launch, when they never did before. Pineview is just like Strawberry, they are a concession. Even at state parks they charge less in the Winter/fall but not these guys, $23 is what they charge in the Summer, these guys are just greedy.

Does Anderson Cove allow 24-hour access in the winter and do they charge to park?
(11-15-2023, 09:39 PM)Kent Wrote:
(11-15-2023, 05:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: The Anderson cove launch is open all year, even during ice fishing season. The narrows are the arm closest to the dam.  Last year in the Fall they started changing to launch, when they never did before. Pineview is just like Strawberry, they are a concession. Even at state parks they charge less in the Winter/fall but not these guys, $23 is what they charge in the Summer, these guys are just greedy.

Does Anderson Cove allow 24-hour access in the winter and do they charge to park?

When I went to the forest service meeting about this issue last year, they said Anderson would be open whenever the other ramps close. Things could have changed since last year but at that time they said they would charge you to use the ramp no matter when you went, Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. If you drive into the park, you pay, not matter if you are launching a boat, a snow mobile, snow dog or ATV. Winter hours do not allow 24 hrs entrance but maybe exit  So if you got there before dark you could get in and get out later that night, even after they close. Sorry I don't remember the hours of operation and as I said that could have changed since last year.
(11-15-2023, 10:40 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

When I went to the forest service meeting about this issue last year, they said Anderson would be open whenever the other ramps close. Things could have changed since last year but at that time they said they would charge you to use the ramp no matter when you went, Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. If you drive into the park, you pay, not matter if you are launching a boat, a snow mobile, snow dog or ATV. Winter hours do not allow 24 hrs entrance but maybe exit  So if you got there before dark you could get in and get out later that night, even after they close. Sorry I don't remember the hours of operation and as I said that could have changed since last year.

Do they actually have a live person collecting money at the ramp this time of year or is it the iron ranger method? I noticed that Strawberry Bay and Renegade have garbage bags taped over the iron ranger so I assume that means that no fee is required now at the Berry?
(11-16-2023, 09:22 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote:
(11-15-2023, 10:40 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Do they actually have a live person collecting money at the ramp this time of year or is it the iron ranger method? I noticed that Strawberry Bay and Renegade have garbage bags taped over the iron ranger so I assume that means that no fee is required now at the Berry?
I can't tell you that, because I've never gone up there this time of the year, hopefully Kent can answer your question. A few years back they charged to access Strawberry in the Fall, but since last year they have had the pay stations closed there.
[quote pid="1150165" dateline="1700169753"]

[/quote]
Ive seen an occasional worker in the area, but mostly
Envelope/iron box system. Also a quick scan code to pay electronically