Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Willard Bay Porky Perch writeup
(12-04-2023, 06:01 PM)BoatBallast Wrote:   I was having trouble with the boat swinging back and forth on the anchor in the wind.  I think that didn't help our productivity too much.  Things to contemplate for next year, I suppose. 

One thing that could help with your boat swinging back and forth, put out a second anchor in the back of your boat. Some times the swing back and forth helps with the bite but not always, so that second anchor can help. The biggest issue with putting out an anchor, at the back of the boat is getting tangled in the rope, usually not a big issue with perch but if you happen to catch a cat or wiper there is a real chance of getting tangled in that rope. We just use spot lock but even with that swing does occur.
(12-04-2023, 08:10 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 06:01 PM)BoatBallast Wrote:   I was having trouble with the boat swinging back and forth on the anchor in the wind.  I think that didn't help our productivity too much.  Things to contemplate for next year, I suppose. 

One thing that could help with your boat swinging back and forth, put out a second anchor in the back of your boat. Some times the swing back and forth helps with the bite but not always, so that second anchor can help. The biggest issue with putting out an anchor, at the back of the boat is getting tangled in the rope, usually not a big issue with perch but if you happen to catch a cat or wiper there is a real chance of getting tangled in that rope. We just use spot lock but even with that swing does occur.

Yeah, I actually have a second anchor and I thought about bringing it.  It just needs a lot of real estate in the back of the boat.  I was considering tying it off at about the middle of the boat to one of the cleats but I thought that sounded pretty dangerous if the wind picked up and we started getting rollers.  So, I just let us swing. 

I have an offshore style boat that is not conducive to an electric motor.  I was actually looking at a small boat that would be better for putting an electric motor on because spot lock is definitely the way to go.
(12-04-2023, 09:31 PM)BoatBallast Wrote: Yeah, I actually have a second anchor and I thought about bringing it.  It just needs a lot of real estate in the back of the boat.  I was considering tying it off at about the middle of the boat to one of the cleats but I thought that sounded pretty dangerous if the wind picked up and we started getting rollers.  So, I just let us swing. 

I have an offshore style boat that is not conducive to an electric motor.  I was actually looking at a small boat that would be better for putting an electric motor on because spot lock is definitely the way to go.
Ya mean like this?
[Image: SPOT-LOCK.jpg]
(12-04-2023, 11:10 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Ya mean like this?
[Image: SPOT-LOCK.jpg]
LOL, if that dog is named Spot, it's for sure on lock.
Lol, exactly.