Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bonneville WF fishing report 11/30/2023
**EDITED:  Added requisite picture of whitefish breakfast.  This could be on your table too!

Hit Bear Lake looking for the endemic Bonneville WF (my favorite fish!).  Well boys (and girls) its still a bit early.  We started right at first light today.  3rd cast I hooked up on a 12lb laker with a light rod, 4lb leader, and in 8' of water.  Oh, what a way to start the day.  We fished 3 spots (one of which was on the rockpile at both 45' and 74') and only managed one WF and one cutthroat.  My good friends from Laketown (who are also whitefish connoisseurs) caught 4 yesterday.  All males and all were pretty small.  We are headed out again next Thursday to give it a go.  They should definitely be "on" by then.  Get the boats out, this is the BEST fishing of the year for the next 2 months (or until freeze up).  I can't believe so many people quit when the fishing is just turning on really good.  I understand about I/O motors having to be winterized, but jets and outboards have no issue as long as you lower them down when you put the boat on the trailer to drain the water and then start it up for 2-3 seconds to blow the water out of the impeller.  Ok, enough preaching.  Tomorrow I will enjoy my annual kick-off breakfast of whitefish and eggs.  I'll try to remember to post pics.....and YES, I'm putting them in the text!  (So ridiculous, but that is another discussion).

[Image: 20231201-074800.jpg]
Hey Scott, great report and I'll bet that laker was dang fun on light tackle... congrats.. and thanks so much for letting us know what's up... Better get my truck situation figured out soon... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-01-2023, 12:16 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: **EDITED:  Added requisite picture of whitefish breakfast.  This could be on your table too!

Hit Bear Lake looking for the endemic Bonneville WF (my favorite fish!).  Well boys (and girls) it’s
still a bit early.  We started right at first light today.  3rd cast I hooked up on a 12lb laker with a light rod, 4lb leader, and in 8' of water.  Oh, what a way to start the day.  We fished 3 spots (one of which was on the rockpile at both 45' and 74') and only managed one WF and one cutthroat.  My good friends from Laketown (who are also whitefish connoisseurs) caught 4 yesterday.  All males and all were pretty small.  We are headed out again next Thursday to give it a go.  They should definitely be "on" by then.  Get the boats out, this is the BEST fishing of the year for the next 2 months (or until freeze up).  I can't believe so many people quit when the fishing is just turning on really good.  I understand about I/O motors having to be winterized, but jets and outboards have no issue as long as you lower them down when you put the boat on the trailer to drain the water and then start it up for 2-3 seconds to blow the water out of the impeller.  Ok, enough preaching.  Tomorrow I will enjoy my annual kick-off breakfast of whitefish and eggs.  I'll try to remember to post pics.....and YES, I'm putting them in the text!  (So ridiculous, but that is another discussion).

[Image: 20231201-074800.jpg]

Great report, I’m thinking about making the trip up. What kind of set up for the whitefish?
(12-01-2023, 03:25 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Great report, I’m thinking about making the trip up. What kind of set up for the whitefish?
Hey Joe, you have come aboard since I last posted my writeups on the whitefish.  There are even pics including Scott (BLFG).  Here they are again for you and anybody else who needs the info.

Attached Files
.pdf   BONNEVILLE WHITEFISH.pdf (Size: 2.56 MB / Downloads: 40)
.pdf   WHITEFISH PREP AND COOKING.pdf (Size: 1.32 MB / Downloads: 18)
Hey Scott, have you heard any recent reports about the whities? Going to give it a try tomorrow, hope they will be active... I know you mentioned going on Thursday, guess you didn't bump that up a day due to the weather report.. If so we'll see you there... Later Jeff
(12-01-2023, 04:07 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(12-01-2023, 03:25 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Great report, I’m thinking about making the trip up. What kind of set up for the whitefish?
Hey Joe, you have come aboard since I last posted my writeups on the whitefish.  There are even pics including Scott (BLFG).  Here they are again for you and anybody else who needs the info.

Thanks Pat, I'm trying to get up there. Finding a garage for the boat is harder than I thought it would be.
(12-05-2023, 09:30 PM)Redrebel Wrote:
(12-01-2023, 04:07 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Thanks Pat, I'm trying to get up there. Finding a garage for the boat is harder than I thought it would be.

Hey Joe, if you're headed up tomorrow let me know we'll be there somewhere, hopefully where the fish are... Got two in the boat, but may be able to find room for one more... Let me know... later Jeff