Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A fisherman in need ?
G’Day there fisher peoples

Ex Utahn here now living back in Australia and it’s seems I’m in a bit of a quandary. I just can’t get my hands on any 6lb Nanofil anymore. I’m pretty sure it’s discontinued at least here down under) but I thought I’d ask around on here if anyone knew of anywhere over there selling it on line or even if someone had some sitting in there tackle gear that they wanted to sell?

Anyway, you don’t ask you don’t get as my old man would say.

Hope you’re all doing well and keeping warm, bloody hot here at the moment but that’s turning the fish bite on.

Cheers
Funchy
I heard they had discontinued the nanofil over here as well, but I think you checked with the right kind of spot... Hopefully someone can help you out... One thing I have seen is some of the ice lines sure seem exactly like nanofil to me... If I find the name of a good one I'll pass that along to you, it might work for what you're looking for... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-04-2023, 03:50 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I heard they had discontinued the nanofil over here as well, but I think you checked with the right kind of spot... Hopefully someone can help you out... One thing I have seen is some of the ice lines sure seem exactly like nanofil to me... If I find the name of a good one I'll pass that along to you, it might work for what you're looking for... Later Jeff

Cheers mate that’d be awesome ?
Hey check ebay, they have a ton for sale there... Some is way over priced, some is close to what it was in the retail stores...  I looked at Google and they show it's still available at Cabela's and several other retail stores... Let us know if you don't see it down there, if so we can send some links, but there looks like plenty still available...  They had the yellow, white and green colors available right off on the first search, so I think you can find some... Let us know if you can't?  Later Jeff

Hey even Amazon has it, see attached add... J

[Image: nanofil-clip.jpg]
Hmmm any 6lb test mate?
Look in the squares for $14.99 should be 6lb test.... J
(12-04-2023, 04:16 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Look in the squares for $14.99 should be 6lb test....  J

Cheers for that

Just jumped on Aussie Amazon and It’s nearly $60 ??

May have to move back over there ??

[Image: IMG-0657.png]
It is discontinued. I've replaced it with Ultra 8 and X9 lines. Neither casts as far as Nano did, but neither fray as badly, either.
(12-04-2023, 05:06 AM)Funchy Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 04:16 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Look in the squares for $14.99 should be 6lb test....  J

Cheers for that

Just jumped on Aussie Amazon and It’s nearly $60 ??

May have to move back over there ??

[Image: IMG-0657.png]
Ouch, but glad you did find it if you want it... sounds like Rocky may be onto something in his comment... I never did like the fraying with my nanofil experiences, but I did like how nice it casted... Maybe I'll have to check out the new formulations... Good luck.. J

(12-04-2023, 12:11 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: It is discontinued. I've replaced it with Ultra 8 and X9 lines. Neither casts as far as Nano did, but neither fray as badly, either.

Hey Rocky thanks for the info on the new lines... sounds like you had the same type experience I did with nanofil... I loved to hate that line... loved the way it casted, but hated when it would fray and break losing fish... I know I get in trouble every time I mention that, but it's been my experience with the line... I always thought it was way too expensive for the way it lasted for me...  I did get a couple spools later on that didn't fray like my first couple did, so maybe I just got two bad spools, the crazy part was I bought more of the stuff.... I really liked it fishing for the smallies, not so much for the catfish... Later J
(12-04-2023, 12:32 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Rocky thanks for the info on the new lines... sounds like you had the same type experience I did with nanofil... I loved to hate that line... loved the way it casted, but hated when it would fray and break losing fish... I know I get in trouble every time I mention that, but it's been my experience with the line... I always thought it was way too expensive for the way it lasted for me...  I did get a couple spools later on that didn't fray like my first couple did, so maybe I just got two bad spools, the crazy part was I bought more of the stuff.... I really liked it fishing for the smallies, not so much for the catfish... Later J

Hey Jeff, I am a longtime fan of Nanofil and have had very little problem with fraying.  After repairing a couple of rods for you I suspect that a large part of your fraying problem was due to fishing with rods with tip tops that had worn grooves in them.  Some of those metallic tip tops do that...and that will tear up any line. 

(12-04-2023, 03:40 AM)Funchy Wrote: G’Day there fisher peoples

Ex Utahn here now living back in Australia and it’s seems I’m in a bit of a quandary. I just can’t get my hands on any 6lb Nanofil anymore. I’m pretty sure it’s discontinued at least here down under) but I thought I’d ask around on here if anyone knew of anywhere over there selling it on line or even if someone had some sitting in there tackle gear that they wanted to sell?

Hope you’re all doing well and keeping warm, bloody hot here at the moment but that’s turning the fish bite on.

Cheers
Funchy

G'Day mate.  I have been a fan of Nanofil since it first came out.  And I have enough spools to carry me over for a couple of years.  But I don't have to respool every year either.

My understanding is that the Berkeley X9 is considered the replacement for Nanofil.  Haven't heard any reliable reports on it since it is fairly new.  But you can find info on it at Link to X9

Smallest diameter they list is 8# but I'm sure the difference would be unnoticeable.
(12-04-2023, 03:38 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 12:32 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Rocky thanks for the info on the new lines... sounds like you had the same type experience I did with nanofil... I loved to hate that line... loved the way it casted, but hated when it would fray and break losing fish... I know I get in trouble every time I mention that, but it's been my experience with the line... I always thought it was way too expensive for the way it lasted for me...  I did get a couple spools later on that didn't fray like my first couple did, so maybe I just got two bad spools, the crazy part was I bought more of the stuff.... I really liked it fishing for the smallies, not so much for the catfish... Later J

Hey Jeff, I am a longtime fan of Nanofil and have had very little problem with fraying.  After repairing a couple of rods for you I suspect that a large part of your fraying problem was due to fishing with rods with tip tops that had worn grooves in them.  Some of those metallic tip tops do that...and that will tear up any line. 
That is true my rods that I had used braid on were really chewed up on the tip tops... However, it was a new rod that I had my fraying issues with.  I had bought a whole new set up and put the nanofil on the new rod and reel.... I think I just got a bad lot because my newer spools haven't had the same kind of issues yet... Hey if both trips were equal would you go to Bear Lake or Willard this week?  I know you like to fish for both the white fish and the perch... Which do you think will be most successful?  Thanks Jeff
(12-04-2023, 03:53 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: That is true my rods that I had used braid on were really chewed up on the tip tops... However, it was a new rod that I had my fraying issues with.  I had bought a whole new set up and put the nanofil on the new rod and reel.... I think I just got a bad lot because my newer spools haven't had the same kind of issues yet... Hey if both trips were equal would you go to Bear Lake or Willard this week?  I know you like to fish for both the white fish and the perch... Which do you think will be most successful?  Thanks Jeff

The first week of December is usually when the whities really start turning on at Bear Lake.  If you get a good "warm" windless forecrash I would go east to Bear Lake.  If you are not an experienced vertical jigging perch jerker your percentages would be less at Willard...especially if you hit one of the "off" days.

For me, I just don't make the trip to Big Blue anymore.  Caught plenty of whitefish in my day and really don't like the drive...and the cold.  And if the wind comes up...forget it.  I'd rather make a shorter drive and only catch a few perch than the longer drive for a basket full of whitefish...maybe.
(12-04-2023, 03:38 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

(12-04-2023, 03:40 AM)Funchy Wrote: G’Day there fisher peoples

Cheers
Funchy

G'Day mate.  I have been a fan of Nanofil since it first came out.  And I have enough spools to carry me over for a couple of years.  But I don't have to respool every year either.

My understanding is that the Berkeley X9 is considered the replacement for Nanofil.  Haven't heard any reliable reports on it since it is fairly new.  But you can find info on it at Link to X9

Smallest diameter they list is 8# but I'm sure the difference would be unnoticeable.

Gday Pat, hope you’re well. I see your starting to get cold toes paddling about at the moment ?

Yes I agree with the rod tip comment, only time I had issues with Nanofil fraying was when a guide had a nick in it. 

I will hunt down some X9 and give that a shot. I bought up all I could down under here and just spooled up another reel with the last of my stash. Glad you’ve got plenty to keep you going mate.

Cheers all for your replies. I’ll grab some X9 I guess (unless it’s dearer than the $60 Nanofil????)

Well the fishing gods were smiling

I went onto one of our local online fishing stores and wadadyaknow!!!

[Image: IMG-0658.jpg]

I bought all 11 available  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Thanks Pat
(12-04-2023, 04:18 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 03:53 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: That is true my rods that I had used braid on were really chewed up on the tip tops... However, it was a new rod that I had my fraying issues with.  I had bought a whole new set up and put the nanofil on the new rod and reel.... I think I just got a bad lot because my newer spools haven't had the same kind of issues yet... Hey if both trips were equal would you go to Bear Lake or Willard this week?  I know you like to fish for both the white fish and the perch... Which do you think will be most successful?  Thanks Jeff

The first week of December is usually when the whities really start turning on at Bear Lake.  If you get a good "warm" windless forecrash I would go east to Bear Lake.  If you are not an experienced vertical jigging perch jerker your percentages would be less at Willard...especially if you hit one of the "off" days.

For me, I just don't make the trip to Big Blue anymore.  Caught plenty of whitefish in my day and really don't like the drive...and the cold.  And if the wind comes up...forget it.  I'd rather make a shorter drive and only catch a few perch than the longer drive for a basket full of whitefish...maybe.

Thanks Pat, I'd been thinking the secondary catches at Bear Lake are a little more interesting as well, plus with the warming up, I think Willard won't freeze too soon, so probably will get another chance there and hopefully the spawn will be going strong this week at big blue... so the action will be fast and fun... Thanks for your thoughts... Later Jeff