Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Ice
I spent the weekend at Henry's with my son and a couple of friends.  We fished the west side on Saturday with not much moving around.  Only iced a couple of small brookies.  But, reports of bigger fish, though sparse, at Staley Springs.  We fished the hatchery the next day.  Nothing lights out but we iced a few cutts and cutbows. 

Ice was about 6" thick in all locations and very little snow on the ice, so it got a little slick.  Best lures were a small firetiger tungsten jig with nightcrawler on it.  But, they were on pretty much anything with worms.
Thanks for a great report... How did you weather the storm? I heard when the wind hit, tents and chairs scattered pretty well... Glad you got some fish after a big trip up... How was the size this year? Hope they were big ones for you... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-04-2023, 03:58 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks for a great report...  How did you weather the storm?  I heard when the wind hit, tents and chairs scattered pretty well...  Glad you got some fish after a big trip up...  How was the size this year?  Hope they were big ones for you... Later Jeff

The storm really didn't do much at Henry's itself.  The wind blew a little on Saturday, enough to fold in one of the sides of the tent.  I staked down two corners and tied off the offending tent wall to a stake and we did just fine.

The drive up was a disaster going into and through Pocatello.  It got a little rowdy through Rexburg and Ashton.  And then it was full on heinous up the hill and into Island park.  On the way home, it was totally smooth sailing until the canyon after Pocatello - cars flying off the freeway.  One truck was on it's side and there was a guy standing in the median talking to a cop with blood all over his face.  Pocatello to Tremonton was the seventh circle of frozen hell last night.  We did it about 40mph in 4wd, the whole way.  I was grateful to be in Tremonton as the sun went down.

The fish were good size on average.  I'd say we were seeing most cutts in the 2.5-3 pound range.  We didn't get any big ones, mostly just the nice fish you expect from Henry's.

A couple of pictures, if i can make this work right.

[Image: Henry-s-Cutt.jpg]

[Image: Henry-s-Cutt-boy.jpg]
Looks like fun, except for the drive... I got a new to me truck and man those tires on it are the slickest tires I've had since I first started driving with old bias ply tires... I'm pretty glad I didn't have that on the road this weekend... I have a habit of putting a ding in anything new to me so I didn't want to do that again... Glad you made the trip successfully... I'll be a little jealous, but only for the fishing part... Later Jeff
(12-04-2023, 08:39 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Looks like fun, except for the drive... I got a new to me truck and man those tires on it are the slickest tires I've had since I first started driving with old bias ply tires... I'm pretty glad I didn't have that on the road this weekend... I have a habit of putting  a ding in anything new to me so I didn't want to do that again... Glad you made the trip successfully... I'll be a little jealous, but only for the fishing part... Later Jeff

Yeah, the fishing was fun.  But, it came at high cost with the drive.  And the fish seemed to bite better when the sun was out anyway.  So, schedule for a better weather weekend.   Big Grin
(12-04-2023, 09:33 PM)BoatBallast Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 08:39 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Looks like fun, except for the drive... I got a new to me truck and man those tires on it are the slickest tires I've had since I first started driving with old bias ply tires... I'm pretty glad I didn't have that on the road this weekend... I have a habit of putting  a ding in anything new to me so I didn't want to do that again... Glad you made the trip successfully... I'll be a little jealous, but only for the fishing part... Later Jeff

Yeah, the fishing was fun.  But, it came at high cost with the drive.  And the fish seemed to bite better when the sun was out anyway.  So, schedule for a better weather weekend.   Big Grin

I finally got up there today. It was slow.  I got two cuts around 3 1/2 but I hooked into 2 monsters. I'm guessing over 10 lbs. The first big one I got on a regular pole and I had it at the hole for a long time, over five minutes, but I couldn't get its head up the hole and it finally broke off at the not. Then the next one (huge, it's tail fin is at least 6 inches wide) it's three foot long. But it was on my green noodle rod. They are great for seeing light bites. But a monster like I couldn't control it with that noodel. It got over and snagged another of my poles 8 feet away. My friend Dan just barely saved it from going in the drink. His glove was soaked. And then he thought he had a different fish. Then it snagged another pole, and again Dan saved it just before the handle went under. And after another long fight it finally broke off also.
Wow don’t be telling me those stories or I’ll have to change plans and go up and give them a try. Great report Randy that’s the kind of trip I love hearing about. Thanks Jeff
(12-06-2023, 03:28 AM)fast_randy Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 09:33 PM)BoatBallast Wrote:

I finally got up there today. It was slow.  I got two cuts around 3 1/2 but I hooked into 2 monsters. I'm guessing over 10 lbs. The first big one I got on a regular pole and I had it at the hole for a long time, over five minutes, but I couldn't get its head up the hole and it finally broke off at the not. Then the next one (huge, it's tail fin is at least 6 inches wide) it's three foot long. But it was on my green noodle rod. They are great for seeing light bites. But a monster like I couldn't control it with that noodel. It got over and snagged another of my poles 8 feet away. My friend Dan just barely saved it from going in the drink. His glove was soaked. And then he thought he had a different fish. Then it snagged another pole, and again Dan saved it just before the handle went under. And after another long fight it finally broke off also.

At least you got up there and caught a few.  Where on the lake did you fish and what did you use?
I got into my favorite spot by Staley Springs.. I got three on White tube jig tipped with half a red sided shiner minnow. And one on white maniac with red dots tipped with meal worm. (Obifishkenobi's favorite)
(12-08-2023, 08:20 PM)fast_randy Wrote: I got into my favorite spot by Staley Springs.. I got three on White tube jig tipped with half a red sided shiner minnow. And one on white maniac with red dots tipped with meal worm. (Obifishkenobi's favorite)

Awesome, thank you.