Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What species
I was fishing yesterday at a local reservoir, the fishing was hot in the morning, and I landed this fish. My first glance at it looked like a lake trout. Google lens even said the same thing. I know there are no lake trout in the reservoir. My next guess was a splake? 
Please chime in!

[Image: IMG-0274.jpg]
(12-14-2023, 03:38 PM)Redrebel Wrote: I was fishing yesterday at a local reservoir, the fishing was hot in the morning, and I landed this fish. My first glance at it looked like a lake trout. Google lens even said the same thing. I know there are no lake trout in the reservoir. My next guess was a splake? 
Please chime in!

I would say that's a laker, fork in the tail is too deep for a splake.  You'd have to open him up to be certain though...
There are lots of splake in that reservoir, I caught one there yesterday, saw you fishing just north of us.
(12-14-2023, 03:38 PM)Redrebel Wrote: I was fishing yesterday at a local reservoir, the fishing was hot in the morning, and I landed this fish. My first glance at it looked like a lake trout. Google lens even said the same thing. I know there are no lake trout in the reservoir. My next guess was a splake? 
Please chime in!

Your desire for secrecy on your spot doesn't help provide much context clues on what the species might be, but I'm going to hazard a guess based on the wiggle hoochie (and the species) that you were at Jordanelle trying for Kokanee, and caught a Splake. There are a bunch of them in there, a few starting to get some size.
My immediate thought when I opened the pic was a splake. It does look like a laker, but that's what makes hybrids difficult--they can take on characteristics of the parent species. The only way to definitely tell is to count the pyloric caeca. If the reservoir is stocked with splake and not lake trout...you most likely caught a splake.
It's a splake. It's a lake trout with brook trout fins. The white tips on the fins give it away.
Yep - I'm going with splake on coloration alone.  Check out the tips of the tail (can't see in this picture).  They will be pointed on the laker and rounded on the splake.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks for letting me know!!!
No doubt splake, I've caught a bunch just like that one. IMO because it is a cross between a laker and a brookie, some will look more like one side of the cross than others.
LOOK AT THE SPOTS.

LOOK AT THE SPOTS.  Color is never a good indicator.  Spots are better.

Lake trout have irregular spots -- almost no round spots at all.
Splake have round spots.

The fish in the picture has all round spots. Regardless of color, it's a splake.

An even better indicator is looking at stocking records of the lake you caught it in.