Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is NOTHING frozen, yet?
Driving me nuts waiting!  It was nasty-cold in Cache Valley last week, is Hyrum still open?  Mantua?  Utah Lake?  What's going on?
It's a frustrating ice season... Things were really close, in fact I probably could have gotten out one or two days, but my schedule wouldn't allow, then it warmed up and melted everything off that had started... Couple days ago it started to build again, and the last two days have warmed up and melted things off again... The ten day doesn't look good either too many 40 degree days without single digit nights so I'm not seeing ice before Christmas for the low elevations in Cache Valley... Do you watch the Hyrum Dam Cam? That will let you see when ice first hits it for the season.. I checked this morning just because, even though I knew it wouldn't be frozen yet... I was right no ice yet... Once you see Mantua freeze then the other ponds will be a week or so behind most years... Once in a while Newton will beat Mantua, but probably not this year with more water in the pond... I like to watch for a period of days with high and low temps added together and divided by two and the total is less than 25... You will usually see ice build in those conditions... As long as there isn't too much sunshine, that will sometimes burn ice off faster than cold temps at night can build it... Good luck and hope to run into you on the pond this year.. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-14-2023, 05:05 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Driving me nuts waiting!  It was nasty-cold in Cache Valley last week, is Hyrum still open?  Mantua?  Utah Lake?  What's going on?

Your best bet right now are Scofield or Huntington/Mammoth they have both been capped with people on them for a couple weeks.
Looks like panfish off the docks at Utah Lake again, then......
I told my high school fishing club to plan our first trip for open water. I dont see our local waters near me getting solid enough ice for a while with the long range forecast
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-14-2023, 05:47 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: It's a frustrating ice season... Things were really close, in fact I probably could have gotten out one or two days, but my schedule wouldn't allow, then it warmed up and melted everything off that had started... Couple days ago it started to build again, and the last two days have warmed up and melted things off again...  The ten day doesn't look good either too many 40 degree days without single digit nights so I'm not seeing ice before Christmas for the low elevations in Cache Valley... Do you watch the Hyrum Dam Cam?  That will let you see when ice first hits it for the season.. I checked this morning just because, even though I knew it wouldn't be frozen yet... I was right no ice yet... Once you see Mantua freeze then the other ponds will be a week or so behind most years... Once in a while Newton will beat Mantua, but probably not this year with more water in the pond...  I like to watch for a period of days with high and low temps added together and divided by two and the total is less than 25... You will usually see ice build in those conditions... As long as there isn't too much sunshine, that will sometimes burn ice off faster than cold temps at night can build it...  Good luck and hope to run into you on the pond this year.. Later Jeff
I feel your pain brother, so I went to Utah lake last week and tried some " fake " ice fishing -- never got a bite . My son did get 2 white bass. I think we'll have some ice by mid January, if not I guess it will be more dock dunkin . Come on Mantua please freeze!
Drove around pineveiw this afternoon the back of spring Creek had a skiff of ice in the weeds but that was it there were some people in kayaks couldn't see if they were fishing or not
Mantua not there yet. Saturday morning had approximately 75% skimmed with ice. A duck boat launched and pushed a path through skinny ice til open water. Little better Sunday, but not good. Downhill since. Warm temps and a stiff wind stripped away nearly all the ice yesterday.
I think Otter Creek is frozen.
PBH... If Otter Creek is frozen then Panguitch probably is right? Anyone been up to Panguitch this week?
(12-15-2023, 06:24 PM)troutgass Wrote: PBH... If Otter Creek is frozen then Panguitch probably is right? Anyone been up to Panguitch this week?

The resort down at Panguitch has on their facebook page as of Dec 11th that the lake is starting to freeze but there is lots of open water.
(12-15-2023, 08:38 PM)lonefisherman Wrote:
(12-15-2023, 06:24 PM)troutgass Wrote: PBH... If Otter Creek is frozen then Panguitch probably is right? Anyone been up to Panguitch this week?

The resort down at Panguitch has on their facebook page as of Dec 11th that the lake is starting to freeze but there is lots of open water.

I can't find the right FB page. I've looked at Panguitch lake resort and other pages and everything is at least a month old posts. Can you send the link if it is allowed or at least the exact name of the FB page?

(12-15-2023, 09:54 PM)troutgass Wrote:
(12-15-2023, 08:38 PM)lonefisherman Wrote:

I can't find the right FB page. I've looked at Panguitch lake resort and other pages and everything is at least a month old posts. Can you send the link if it is allowed or at least the exact name of the FB page?

Nevermind... I found it!
I got on the ice at Fontenelle last weekend, there was 5in in the Fontenelle Creek boat ramp bay. Sentinel-playground satellites are showing woodruff, birch creek and little creek reservoir are capped. Viva Naughton has capped also. Be safe, take a spud bar and don't go alone.
Utah Lake state park marina is froze, about 1/4", similar to AF harbor.
Fished little creek reservoir yesterday with the family. Measured 9in of ice and the planter bow fishing was fast as usual. Fished 11fow just out from the pump house on the dam.
Probably Friday, then.

AF Boat Harbor was skimmed over Sunday night, but I couldn't see a single mark on my little sonar.
(12-14-2023, 05:05 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Driving me nuts waiting!  It was nasty-cold in Cache Valley last week, is Hyrum still open?  Mantua?  Utah Lake?  What's going on?

Heard a few people braved the little bit of ice on Mud Creek at the Berry on the 12th of this month. With these warmer day time temps though I'm not too sure how thick that ice has gotten. Headed out there on Wednesday to check for myself.