Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Ice Starting on Hyrum This Morning
Well I know the weather report doesn't bode well for the long term ice sheet, but as of this morning there is a little ice starting on Hyrum.  It's just floating sheets today with plenty of open water yet, but it's a start... Amazing what 2 degrees will do for a couple nights in a row... Too bad we'll be back in the 40's by the weekend... Almost getting to ice... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-26-2023, 02:26 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Well I know the weather report doesn't bode well for the long term ice sheet, but as of this morning there is a little ice starting on Hyrum.  It's just floating sheets today with plenty of open water yet, but it's a start... Amazing what 2 degrees will do for a couple nights in a row... Too bad we'll be back in the 40's by the weekend... Almost getting to ice... Later Jeff

I heard that Smith and Morehouse was frozen, heard it was around 5".
(12-26-2023, 05:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 02:26 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Well I know the weather report doesn't bode well for the long term ice sheet, but as of this morning there is a little ice starting on Hyrum.  It's just floating sheets today with plenty of open water yet, but it's a start... Amazing what 2 degrees will do for a couple nights in a row... Too bad we'll be back in the 40's by the weekend... Almost getting to ice... Later Jeff

I looked at that yesterday. first thought was capping ice with not many fish underneath it.

grrrrrr!
(12-26-2023, 06:32 PM)packfish Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 05:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I heard that Smith and Morehouse was frozen, heard it was around 5".

I looked at that yesterday. first thought was capping ice with not many fish underneath it.
There are lots of fish in S&M, can't remember for sure but it seems like Kent fished it this Year, during open water season and ice fished on it last Winter and he caught fish on every trip. Last Winter you needed a snow machine to get to the lake but this year, with the lack of snow, I heard you could drive to it, in a 4x4.
I’ve never been to Smith and Morehouse, guess I need to try it sometime. I did find some ice on Cutler tonight that held me. First spot was 2” and not all good ice, it was really cracking so I got off quick. Next spot was close to 3” and it held okay. Got one tiny crappie, so I got my first fish of the ice season for me. Glad I got that before January. Afraid it’s going to be a short season. Sure seemed cold, but I didn’t have my ice gear on. One of these trips I’ll dress for the season. Later J

How do you think it will be compared to last year?  I know you have a lot better pulse on that pond than I do this year. I haven’t fished it since early ice last winter and it was so disappointing I never went back. Perch were mostly small and they only put like 5000 bows last I seen, so I think you’re correct in your thoughts. But I’ll probably still have to try it just out of habit. Good luck. Jeff
Cool Not worth ice fishing on thin ice. I like a good 4 to 5 inch hard ice minimum that can handle my body to die for Exclamation ------- Well that's if I tripped and fell on someone! Yep not a skinny guy.  Tongue 
Stay Safe Ya’z All’z and come on 5 pounder and Fish on!!!        From the Wheat
It will be at least another year before the perch come back to a reasonable size. Not saying there are not a few left that are decent but very few. In early Nov I trolled for a bit and the trout I caught were very sickly looking planters . I mainly fish for Gills now and secondly bass . Can't believe that the ice fishing on avg will be very good . That's OK for me, I cross country ski in the winter, do a little stream fishing , run the dogs every day and get all my rods ready for spring. If there is a young bird dog guy out there, preferably a Cache valley guy, that's just getting started , get a hold of me. I have a good used tri -tronics training collar I would give you . Like to see somebody get use out of it and not just take it and sell it. I needed a two dog system and this was but the other collar developed problems.

My son went up there today and the catching wasn't great, a few trout and a small red koke.

[Image: S-M-koke.jpg]

Nice conditions and 8" of ice.

[Image: S-M-conditions.jpg]
(12-27-2023, 05:17 PM)packfish Wrote: It will be at least another year before the perch come back to a reasonable size. Not saying there are not a few left that are decent but very few. In early Nov I trolled for a bit and the trout I caught were very sickly looking planters . I mainly fish for Gills now and secondly bass . Can't believe that the ice fishing on avg will be very good . That's OK for me, I cross country ski in the winter, do a little stream fishing , run the dogs every day and get all my rods ready for spring. If there is a young bird dog guy out there, preferably a Cache valley guy, that's just getting started , get a hold of me. I have a good used tri -tronics training collar I would give you . Like to see somebody get use out of it and not just take it and sell it. I needed a two dog system and this was but the other collar developed problems.

Thanks for the update... I'll pass on the dog training info to my Dad, he has a lot of younger guys hunting birds on his place.. Might be a good..  fit.. Thanks Jeff
[quote pid="1151140" dateline="1703729410"]
My son went up there today and the catching wasn't great, a few trout and a small red koke.

[/quote]

Did he mention conditions of the road in? Need machines, or will 4x4 get you there.
(12-29-2023, 02:51 AM)EyLayo Wrote: [quote pid="1151140" dateline="1703729410"]

Did he mention conditions of the road in? Need machines, or will 4x4 get you there.
[/quote]

They drove in a 4x4 truck, road was no problem but they drove down the ramp to unload and got stuck turning around. There was a couple of other groups there that had snow dogs.
(12-29-2023, 02:51 AM)EyLayo Wrote: [quote pid="1151140" dateline="1703729410"]

[/quote]

Sorry to flake out on you for today...  Feeling lots better this morning, but I guess I'm supposed to stay locked down for five days... I may quarantine on the ice later today if I'm not needed around here helping the family get through the bug... Sad to get sick when my days off begin, but at least I had some leave last week... Hope you found something good to do today and let me know how it went... Later Jeff