Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview ice forming in the narrows
Looking at the DOT traffic cam there is ice starting to form in the narrows. "Usually" when ice is forming in the narrows, there is fishable ice at Browning point or around Cemetery point. Has anyone been up there that could verify? 
Also i remember something about losing lake access at Browning point? Does anyone have info on this?

I plan on doing ice recon this weekend at East Canyon and Pineview and will report my findings. 

Disclaimer: 
I am not stating that there is safe fishable ice on Pineview. As always use caution when venturing out on the ice.
(12-27-2023, 01:12 AM)Humbadingo Wrote: Looking at the DOT traffic cam there is ice starting to form in the narrows. "Usually" when ice is forming in the narrows, there is fishable ice at Browning point or around Cemetery point. Has anyone been up there that could verify? 
Also i remember something about losing lake access at Browning point? Does anyone have info on this?

I plan on doing ice recon this weekend at East Canyon and Pineview and will report my findings. 

Disclaimer: 
I am not stating that there is safe fishable ice on Pineview. As always use caution when venturing out on the ice.

I stood on the road up from the caretaker's buildings late afternoon on Christmas Day and chucked a couple rocks through it.  It was easily less than 2" thick and soft.  

The Narrows were almost completely iced over, but there were plenty of open patches here and there throughout the reservoir.  Cemetery Point seemed to have ice near shore and patchy open water further out all around.
Cool Not worth ice fishing on thin ice. I like a good 4 to 5 inch hard ice minimum that can handle my body to die for Exclamation ------- Well that's if I tripped and fell on someone! Yep not a skinny guy.  Tongue 
Stay Safe Ya’z All’z and come on 5 pounder and Fish on!!!        From the Wheat
(12-27-2023, 03:01 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote:
(12-27-2023, 01:12 AM)Humbadingo Wrote: Looking at the DOT traffic cam there is ice starting to form in the narrows. "Usually" when ice is forming in the narrows, there is fishable ice at Browning point or around Cemetery point. Has anyone been up there that could verify? 

Disclaimer: 

I stood on the road up from the caretaker's buildings late afternoon on Christmas Day and chucked a couple rocks through it.  It was easily less than 2" thick and soft.  

The Narrows were almost completely iced over, but there were plenty of open patches here and there throughout the reservoir.  Cemetery Point seemed to have ice near shore and patchy open water further out all around.

Please don't chuck rocks onto the ice.  After it snows, those chucked rocks, that don't go through the ice, destroy augers that are unfortunate enough to hit one.  Been there and done that and hope to never do it again.

Disclaimer: 

Thanks for the info! Hopefully the upcoming warmer temperatures don't effect the ice that's there now.
(12-27-2023, 05:44 PM)Kent Wrote:

Disclaimer: 

Please don't chuck rocks onto the ice.  After it snows, those chucked rocks, that don't go through the ice, destroy augers that are unfortunate enough to hit one.  Been there and done that and hope to never do it again.
Bah.  I knew they would go through. They were merely feet from shore, to boot.
(12-28-2023, 12:07 AM)Springbuck1 Wrote:

Disclaimer: 

Bah.  I knew they would go through.  They were merely feet from shore, to boot.
Thanks for the information Kent.  I'd rather test with a rock than step through with my foot right next to the shore.

(12-29-2023, 12:26 PM)cody121ydoc Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 12:07 AM)Springbuck1 Wrote:

Disclaimer: 

Bah.  I knew they would go through.  They were merely feet from shore, to boot.
Thanks for the information Kent.  I'd rather test with a rock than step through with my foot right next to the shore.
Oops, I meant thanks Springbuck1, still figuring this site out.
[quote pid="1151127" dateline="1703699088"]
[/quote]

Here, this should help. Really big rocks are easier to see

[Image: 20231229-095319.jpg]
Test Rocks? I can see if someone chucks the little rocks out where you might drill to fish and maybe not do the test rocks in front of the launch ramps, because that's where most of us will be pulling the gear sleds out onto the ice. Also when boating season is on they become a bump for the boat trailers. I think it's a good idea to pick up a spud bar for testing the ice and removing the rocks that get frozen stuck, getting them back towards the shore line.
(12-29-2023, 08:32 PM)EyLayo Wrote: [quote pid="1151127" dateline="1703699088"]

[/quote]

True, and much easier to hit with a boat trailer tire or even worse the prop of the boat.  I never have understood why anyone would toss rocks on top of the ice over a boat ramp.
Everybody calm down. All of that was exactly what I was NOT doing. Overreacting is just silly.

Chucking a rock down a virtual cliff from 70 feet up, into 30 + feet of water, 4 feet from shore, so I could watch It break and gauge how thick the ice was....... I was absolutely not hurting anybody.

If it hadn't gone through for some reason, I probably would have gone down and fished.
(12-30-2023, 04:54 AM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Everybody calm down.  All of that was exactly what I was NOT doing.  Overreacting is just silly.

Chucking a rock down a virtual cliff from 70 feet up, into 30 + feet of water, 4 feet from shore, so I could watch It break and gauge how thick the ice was....... I was absolutely not hurting anybody.

If it hadn't gone through for some reason, I probably would have gone down and fished.
[font=Arial, "sans-serif"]Undecided Sorry, I did understand you knew where to place a test rock. I don’t see a problem with that. I was looking at that picture and that seemed disturbing in so many ways. I think the ones that skip out the smaller rocks like to hear that pinking sound and watch them skip on the ice, they might not even fish. Back before we could even go ice fishing I did that. (Yep old Dog) I know better now, and the rocks over the boat ramp are also disturbing. The ones that lost their common sense thinking might not even know of this fishing site or fish. I think the goal was just to inform people to think of others. I think there should be a post with that picture explaining - if the use of a testing rocks - do’s and don’ts. Doesn’t hurt to inform to some common sense thinking.     [/font]
Just took a look at the Narrows. One guy was out fishing below the Caretaker’s cabin. He was out about 40 yds from shore in 28’ of water. Started fishing about 9:45am and as of 10:45, he had 5 perch. Not much for size 6-7”. Said the ice was 3.5” where he was at and was pretty consistent all the way out to where he was parked. Hopefully another 5-6 days will add some thickness. The ice that is present is clear.

Lots of open water just 150 yds further up towards Windsurfer but Windsurfer itself is froze over with between 3-4” of ice. Browning Point has open water around it. Cemetery Point is froze over, but I didn’t check it for obvious reasons.
(12-30-2023, 06:13 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Just took a look at the Narrows.  One guy was out fishing below the Caretaker’s cabin.  He was out about 40 yds from shore in 28’ of water.  Started fishing about 9:45am and as of 10:45, he had 5 perch.  Not much for size 6-7”.  Said the ice was 3.5” where he was at and was pretty consistent all the way out to where he was parked.  Hopefully another 5-6 days will add some thickness.  The ice that is present is clear.

Lots of open water just 150 yds further up towards Windsurfer but Windsurfer itself is froze over with between 3-4” of ice.    Browning Point has open water around it.  Cemetery Point is froze over, but I didn’t check it for obvious reasons.

Nice detailed post on ice conditions at PV, thanks for sharing it with us.
Yes, thanks.....I was considering a night trip for crappie tonight, but I think a few more days still.
Snapped these photos last night. I climbed down to the ice with my spud bar, 2 1/2 inches near shore.
[Image: IMG-0078.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0079.jpg]

There was open water out past that guy. Not quite thick enough for me.
(12-31-2023, 01:17 PM)Troutster Wrote: Snapped these photos last night. I climbed down to the ice with my spud bar, 2 1/2 inches near shore.

There was open water out past that guy. Not quite thick enough for me.

Thanks for the pics and ice thickness report, it's amazing how daring some folks are when it comes to first ice. He isn't even near anyone, so if he fell threw, no one would be around to save him. From my experience, you can do as good close to shore in that location as you can that far out.
The guy I spoke to on the ice yesterday morning actually said that he fell through last year. Guess some people just think the reward is worth it.
(12-31-2023, 08:03 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: The guy I spoke to on the ice yesterday morning actually said that he fell through last year.  Guess some people just think the reward is worth it.

Pretty crazy how some people value their lives so lightly. Sad
(12-29-2023, 08:32 PM)EyLayo Wrote: [quote pid="1151127" dateline="1703699088"]

[/quote]

I was at that lake the other day. I walked out on the ice a little and punched a hole with my spud bar and the ice was only about 3" thick. Not quite enough for this guy to venture out quite yet.