Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua
Drove past Mantua, Christmas day. It is frozen, how much ice I don't know, but I did not see any open water.

rj
It’s probably back to thick enough for the non risk adverse crew, but that pond is deeper than waist deep so I need a bigger safety factor. Especially with the fish die off this fall. No desire to risk my life there this year. Maybe when someone posts a big one I’ll change my mind. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Going to find the only surviving fish tomorrow. I'll send you a pic
Be advised and be careful of the many springs in there. Definitely not worth the dip. Happens every year about this time.
A man needs to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing! 
(12-27-2023, 03:47 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Going to find the only surviving fish tomorrow. I'll send you a pic

Good Luck Shawn, no doubt you'll find it.... Hope you find more than one... Be safe... After another night as cold as it was, I'll bet you might find some 4" spots... just avoid the 1" spots... Later Jeff

(12-27-2023, 07:54 AM)lavaman Wrote: Be advised and be careful of the many springs in there. Definitely not worth the dip. Happens every year about this time.

Derek, I expect you'll be there too before much longer... You off work?  Good luck if you go... send me a picture too... Later Jeff
(12-27-2023, 01:10 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(12-27-2023, 03:47 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Going to find the only surviving fish tomorrow. I'll send you a pic

Good Luck Shawn, no doubt you'll find it.... Hope you find more than one... Be safe... After another night as cold as it was, I'll bet you might find some 4" spots... just avoid the 1" spots... Later Jeff

(12-27-2023, 07:54 AM)lavaman Wrote: Be advised and be careful of the many springs in there. Definitely not worth the dip. Happens every year about this time.

Derek, I expect you'll be there too before much longer... You off work?  Good luck if you go... send me a picture too... Later Jeff

I'm afraid not for a long while. Surgery on my ankle coming up which is pretty bad timing. You'll have to drill and chill in my place buddy!
A man needs to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing! 
There was a lot of open water on the 23rd. I still think it needs a couple of days to build thickness.
I know Echo is starting to cap also. Backend was icing yesterday but the warming trend this week will be tough on it. Going to drive over and look at rockport after a Doc apt this morning.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Cool Not worth ice fishing on thin ice. I like a good 4 to 5 inch hard ice minimum that can handle my body to die for Exclamation ------- Well that's if I tripped and fell on someone! Yep not a skinny guy.  Tongue  
Stay Safe Ya’z All’z and come on 5 pounder and Fish on!!!        From the Wheat
Wow that didn't work out the way I hoped.... Let me try again....  Sorry to hear that Derek, but at least it's on a year when I doubt Bear Lake will freeze  Good luck with the surgery  Jeff

You are correct. Current conditions are such that a spud is your best bud. Ice varied from 4"- open. 

Ive noticed a trend over the years though.  Every year I admittedly go out a little sooner than some, BUT..... I am very cautious, fully prepared for a self rescue, and check as I move along. I know its no substitute for waiting for the typical 4". I do watch the ice pattern as it forms days, sometimes weeks before I actually hop aboard. The scary part I see every year is- while I carefully pick and check a safe route to destination,  there is undoubtedly some young soles that show up, look around, see me, assume as is well and proceed to run onto the ice. They are usually goofing around in street attire armed with nothing more than their magic selfie generators. Thankfully I haven't had to lend any of them my spare change of clothes.
I'm planning to go tomorrow hopefully the ice will be good by then. Still not sure if it should be Mantua or Echo.
(12-29-2023, 03:16 AM)EyLayo Wrote:

You are correct. Current conditions are such that a spud is your best bud. Ice varied from 4"- open. 

Ive noticed a trend over the years though.  Every year I admittedly go out a little sooner than some, BUT..... I am very cautious, fully prepared for a self rescue, and check as I move along. I know its no substitute for waiting for the typical 4". I do watch the ice pattern as it forms days, sometimes weeks before I actually hop aboard. The scary part I see every year is- while I carefully pick and check a safe route to destination,  there is undoubtedly some young soles that show up, look around, see me, assume as is well and proceed to run onto the ice. They are usually goofing around in street attire armed with nothing more than their magic selfie generators. Thankfully I haven't had to lend any of them my spare change of clothes.
Shawn, I think that is very well spoken and I have noticed the same thing over the years how some folks never even think to check the ice, they just jump on and go and I have no idea why there aren't more ice accidents than there are...  Your spud bud is for sure the best council this time of the season.  Those spuds are worth their weight in gold, and sell for the price of steel, so they are a pretty good bargain...  I just need to follow that advice better later in the year... Last year I headed out on Bear Lake from the condos instead of the usual path... I was following a trail that had been packed out there the day before and didn't even think of using the spud... About 100 yards onto the ice sheet I took a step and my foot started to drop right through, so I dove forward and only got a wet foot, but sure scared me when I was expecting 12" of ice... funny how those springs and methane bubblers can sure change ice conditions so we always need to be prepared... Thanks for the great insight... J