Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah lake - white bass
Anyone catching any white bass lately? I would like to hit the west side, but if Provo state park or the east side is starting up, that is ok to. Been watching the cams, but haven't seen much success when i've checked. Thanks for any responses...
went to the state park this morning. from what i was told, 3/4" at the docks. catching was next to nothing.
(12-27-2023, 11:43 PM)Mr. J Wrote: went to the state park this morning. from what i was told, 3/4" at the docks. catching was next to nothing.

Thanks for the info
I also hit it today at the Provo Harbor. I caught 12 white bass and 1 yellow perch. About 1/3 of the white bass were small young of the year (about 6-7") and the other 2/3 were larger (>10"). The perch was a chunky 10.5".

I caught everything on either a small white jig or a small white ratso. Initially caught a few on meal worms and wax worms, but most were caught on small strips or chunks of white bass meat (with skin on). I caught several larger white bass on a jawjacker, but most wanted some sort of jigging action.

I didn't mark a ton of fish and I didn't see many others catching fish. Definitely helped having a fish finder. All were caught on the bottom or within about 3-4 feet of the bottom.

Water was around 10 feet deep where I was. Ice was maybe an inch at most. I did see someone launch his duck boat and plow through the ice out to the lake.

jack of all tackle, master of none
(12-28-2023, 01:55 AM)joatmon Wrote: I also hit it today at the Provo Harbor. I caught 12 white bass and 1 yellow perch. About 1/3 of the white bass were small young of the year (about 6-7") and the other 2/3 were larger (>10"). The perch was a chunky 10.5".

I caught everything on either a small white jig or a small white ratso. Initially caught a few on meal worms and wax worms, but most were caught on small strips or chunks of white bass meat (with skin on). I caught several larger white bass on a jawjacker, but most wanted some sort of jigging action.

I didn't mark a ton of fish and I didn't see many others catching fish. Definitely helped having a fish finder. All were caught on the bottom or within about 3-4 feet of the bottom.

Water was around 10 feet deep where I was. Ice was maybe an inch at most. I did see someone launch his duck boat and plow through the ice out to the lake.

Thanks for the report
What kind of table fare are White Bass.
(12-28-2023, 09:41 PM)lovetofish Wrote: What kind of table fare are White Bass.

Have you ever tried stripers or wipers? If so, then that might answer your question, for me they have a strong flavor that I don't care for, unless they are deep fried.
I love’em. To me it’s mild, flakey white fish. The blood line is where fishy taste is an issue, but that is generally on stripers or wipers and not WB. Favorite way to make them is either fried or in ceviché.