Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Strawberry Ice
Drove past Strawberry Yesterday. There was ice in the little bay where Soldier Creek comes in. A few brave souls were out there fishing. I didn't stop to see if they were catching anything, but I was excited to see that it is getting close.

One party was really close to the edge of the ice, I hope they knew what they were doing. Sad Please be careful out there.
(12-27-2023, 11:05 PM)brooowntrout Wrote: Drove past Strawberry Yesterday. There was ice in the little bay where Soldier Creek comes in. A few brave souls were out there fishing. I didn't stop to see if they were catching anything, but I was excited to see that it is getting close.

One party was really close to the edge of the ice, I hope they knew what they were doing. Sad Please be careful out there.
Thanks for the info, just an FYI, people have been fishing on Mud creek for almost two weeks now.
Fished Mud Creek this morning till the ice was speaking too much was 4 to 5 inches in the bay lots of open water.  City of tents they all cleared out about 12 when she started Speaking LOUDLY AND CONSTANTLY.  MY Pucker factor is not what it used to be.  Caught some healthy bows and cuts between me and Landon we landed 20 plus all released.  will post pics here shortly.  Seen a gent with a snow dog make a b- line for shore when it started cracking.
(12-27-2023, 11:05 PM)brooowntrout Wrote: Drove past Strawberry Yesterday. There was ice in the little bay where Soldier Creek comes in. A few brave souls were out there fishing. I didn't stop to see if they were catching anything, but I was excited to see that it is getting close.

Fished Mud Creek Tues. 3" ice in the center, thicker toward the shoreline. Ice cracks & pops all the time, even moves a little as it builds. Fishing was slow, but we did get a nice 3lb Bow and an almost Slot-Buster Cutty (21.5") and some smaller Slotties. I talked to the Marina store yesterday. Skim ice in the marina is all they have. Gonna be late ice this year...

TiteLines
Thanks guys for the reports on Strawberry, sounds like the ice is building in that bay.
Saw the tent city at Mud Creek on 12/29 and drove on past. Fished the bay near the marina launch. Wasn't frozen very far out, you could see where the waves had broken up the edge of the ice - did not venture past that point.

Had 5" of good clear ice. LOTS of people. Slow fishing. Ice was very noisy, which did not inspire confidence in the lady friend.
I was in that same bay on Saturday. I measured 3 and 4 inches. Probably depends on where you go. Fishing was extremely slow. I only caught one! Still was fun to be out on the ice for the first time this season.