Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bad advice for new ice anglers
How about we have a thread giving bad advice for new ice anglers?  I will start it off with one of my favorites. 

If you hear a loud noise, that means the ice is breaking and you should immediately jump on the ice with your arms and legs spread apart so you won't fall through.  (This advice is even better when there is snow on the ice.)

Let's hear some of your sage but bad advice for our new ice anglers.
Make sure you get a gas auger and then make sure you set up as close to another group as possible.... noise always attacts fish... If you have kids with you make sure they ride the 4 wheeler or snowmobile around in circles by you and your new friends ice holes... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
For optimal holes- start by clearing all the snow away, then slam your auger directly into the ice. This ensures your blades have maximum contact before you start drilling away.
You don't need one of those silly skimmer thingies.  Your hand won't get cold getting that little bit of ice out.
Set your meal worms and night crawlers out on the ice so you can get to them when needed. Don't bother with insulated gloves there bulky and cumbersome and they get in the way. Put your insulated boots in the back of the truck so they are easy too get at when you arive
If someone drills extra holes they are just super nice and anyone is welcome to fish any of the extra holes, even if the guy who drilled them is fishing nearby. (This actually happened to me at Huntington. )
Ouch you guys are making me cringe.
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
You can stand on the thin ice and cast to the open water... I saw this at Lucerne marina!
When you are done cover the holes with snow so no one can see where you were fishing.
After reading the Pineview Ice post:
Throw rocks all over the ice to check thickness!
If it's not that cold. Wear whatever clothes you're wearing while driving around in your car out on the ice.

This goes double for footwear.
Always drill the biggest hole you can, like 10 or 12", especially in places like Rockport, East Canyon, Echo, 'cuz who knows...maybe there's a 20 lb muskie or laker down there..and make sure to fill those holes with snow when done...you can always get a good laugh when a kid falls in !!
Thank you everyone for the great tips, I am taking several grandkids on new years for their first ice fishing trip, all the tips will surely help us to have a great and memorable first trip. Which lake would you all recommend we go to that has lots of people so we can enjoy it with them?
Idea Fish on thin ice wearing only a thong and boots doing that b--t flosser dance thang (floss dance). Make sure to drill at least 18 ice holes, that way you’re ready to do the Polar Bear plunge thang. Also take a golf putter and some golf balls just in case the fishing is slow. Can you just picture me with the body to die for, doing those thangs, my body to die for if I tripped and fell on someone! -----Yep not a skinny guy! -----Yep go away bad dream! Tongue
Don't worry about any of the slush on top of the ice. All snow mobiles and ATVs go right through it and will never get stuck.
You don't need an auger. Just go ask around when you get there. I'm sure someone will let you use their's.
Dogs love to join you when you go ice fishing and is not necessary to have it attached to a leash. Everyone loves dogs, so it is fine to let yours run around on the ice and visit every other angler within a block or two around you. The other anglers don't even mind if your dog hauls away one of their fish that they have laid on the ice.
Take your big dog out on the ice with you and let it run wild, bothering any and all other fisherman around you (I've had big dogs come around me and try to get fish I've caught).  I like dogs, but some can be a little agressive.

Another one.  If your going out on your snowmobile to ride around instead of fishing, drive right up to any ice fisherman and ask "how thick is the ice?", (again, something that actually happened to me on East Canyon).
Never anchor down an ice hut or keep trash secure or dress warm, because winds are never a issue ice fishing. Never bring Sun protection, things like Cool Sun glasses, Sun screen a hat if you have a shinny head. I seem to notice search and rescue planes flying around when I'm not wearing a hat maybe looks like I'm flashing a SOS or maybe they are Birds looking for a fish snack. Big Grin
Don't worry about bringing those safety ice picks, they are only good for eating corn on the cob. Always bring enough ice to keep your catch fresh.

If you get cold, remove outer layers so the warm sun can more easily reach your body.

Don't skimp on your rods, an eight weight flyrod should do.
Good fishing to all.   Hue