Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry slot buster fest!
Decided to test a little ice for New Year’s Day on the berry. Got there around 7 ish and it was super foggy. It added to the sketchiness of the thin clear ice! Threw some big rocks out to test things a bit and it was def thin so we stayed super close to shore where we were. Punched a few holes and got to fishing right awayi was  thinking it wouldn’t produce much because we had to stay so close to shore. Caught some nice cutts and one decent bow in the first hour or so but in general it wasn’t fast and furious. Mid morning the fish started to get bigger and bigger and bigger! Ended up catching 3 slot busters the largest of which was 24 inches! Again not a ton of fish but the quality was the best I’ve ever had. The ice was thin and clear, scary to see all the way to the bottom in 15ft or so really puckers you up. I didn’t have my crampons on and while walking to punch another hole I proceded to make my feet disappear right to my back while carrying my bulky gas auger which landed right on my chest in a failed bench press motion. It caused a big spider fracture in the ice where I hit, thankfully the ice and my body held up enough to fish a while longer. Around noon the sketch
[Image: image000000.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1597.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1599.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1609.jpg]

factor was too much so we bailed out but it was a really nice first run on the berry and definitely the best lot of fish size wise I’ve ever had.
sounds like a great trip, thanks for passing on the details of the trip...
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
That's absolutely fantastic!
Nice 'berry cutts! Great report...
Sometimes the quality beats quantity. That was definitely a quality day.