Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern Utah ice
Have heard barely anything about ice conditions in southern Utah. Curious if anyone has any info regarding ice conditions in some of the waters down near cedar city/st George I’d appreciate to hear. Curious about any waters from enterprise to Navajo, otter creek.
Was going to try and go to yankee meadow since there hasn’t been much snow, but with the snow yesterday, I probably wouldn’t be able to make it there in my suv.
The only safe confirmed ice I've heard of in our area is Panguitch so far, but more may have capped with this recent cold front.
Yankee Meadow, Kolob, and Navajo all have safe ice as well, but access to them will be much tougher with recent storms.
Been fishing Minersville the last few days. Ice is 3 to 5 inches where I been fishing.

Photo from the living room.

Still one weird small spot out in the middle that refuses to freeze. Gave it 3 honest tries in 3 days, in 5 to 15 feet of water. It is 73 percent full. Not even a nibble.

[Image: 3-A436904-3-B27-425-F-8-CB3-834110-C1-D9-E5.jpg]
(01-12-2024, 07:59 PM)castnshoot Wrote: Been fishing Minersville the last few days. Ice is 3 to 5 inches where I been fishing.

Photo from the living room.

Still one weird small spot out in the middle that refuses to freeze. Gave it 3 honest tries in 3 days, in 5 to 15 feet of water. Not even a nibble.

Well that's a bummer, you would think the trout would bite, unless their numbers just haven't returned after the drought. Thanks for the report.
Ye they have not even come close to putting enough fish in since the drought.
Oh, I don't know...last year's stocking was 48,527 rainbow trout the majority of which were 10-12 inchers. Compare that to the year prior when only 15,000 rainbows were stocked, and I think they are on the right track. With a whole slew more to be stocked this spring, I'm not worried. I am really excited about fishing out there this year...!
That may seem like a lot but it should have been four times that, especially the hit they gave it in the fall of 22.

That last batch were some tore up looking fish.
I wish more were stocked too...but, you have to remember that biologists have to put in quotas in advance. In other words, without the crystal ball of knowing that last winter was going to bring so much good water, the quota was going to be smaller because hatcheries only produce so many and quotas are scheduled prior to the production. With that being said, gill netting numbers last spring were much higher than expected. I bet there are more fish there than you think or realize...and, with lower numbers, growth will be really good. Fishing may be tougher, but sizes are going to be awesome! Those fish that survived the open regulations and low water from two summers ago will be hogs!!

Let's look at how last year's stocking compared to previous years: 2017--about 45,000 bows were stocked and about 27,000, cutts 2018--14,000 bows were stocked, 2019--17,000 bows were stocked and 10,000 browns, 2020--32,000 bows were stocked, 2021--30,000 bows were stocked, 2022--15,000 bows were stocked. So, last year's trout stocking was higher than any other year in the past 6 other than 2017 when the cutthroat stocking combined with the rainbow trout stocking were higher. And, last year's stocking of rainbow trout was higher than any other year. I'm happy with the 48,000 because it shows that they are trying to up the numbers. Also, those beat up fish were probably extras that were not initially scheduled to be dumped into Minersville. That, too, is a sign that they are trying to increase numbers and is a good thing.
Let's just hope for more snowpack than we have right now so that whatever number of fish are in there will have the water and space they need to rebound that once amazing bow fishery!
(01-16-2024, 05:48 PM)wormandbobber Wrote: I wish more were stocked too...but, you have to remember that biologists have to put in quotas in advance. In other words, without the crystal ball of knowing that last winter was going to bring so much good water, the quota was going to be smaller because hatcheries only produce so many and quotas are scheduled prior to the production. With that being said, gill netting numbers last spring were much higher than expected. I bet there are more fish there than you think or realize...and, with lower numbers, growth will be really good. Fishing may be tougher, but sizes are going to be awesome! Those fish that survived the open regulations and low water from two summers ago will be hogs!!

Let's look at how last year's stocking compared to previous years: 2017--about 45,000 bows were stocked and about 27,000, cutts 2018--14,000 bows were stocked, 2019--17,000 bows were stocked and 10,000 browns, 2020--32,000 bows were stocked, 2021--30,000 bows were stocked, 2022--15,000 bows were stocked.  So, last year's trout stocking was higher than any other year in the past 6 other than 2017 when the cutthroat stocking combined with the rainbow trout stocking were higher. And, last year's stocking of rainbow trout was higher than any other year. I'm happy with the 48,000 because it shows that they are trying to up the numbers. Also, those beat up fish were probably extras that were not initially scheduled to be dumped into Minersville. That, too, is a sign that they are trying to increase numbers and is a good thing.

Wormandbobber, yes I agree with most of what you say. Your stocking data is right on the money, except for some undisclosed stockings made by the DNR.

Most of the stocking data you mentioned that is prior to 2022 is irrelevant to our discussion. Of course no one can see what the future holds as far as moisture. Because of that the decision makers we’re betting against Minersville with high demand for hatchery fish coming out of a killer drought.

Feb. and March can often be the big months for snow pack on the Beaver Mountains, so I have hope. Probably going to be at least a couple of more years before we even get a glimpse of what it was like before drought caught up to Minersville this last time.

With the high water this past spring the LMB spawn was off the charts,, at least on my end of the lake.
(01-18-2024, 11:55 PM)castnshoot Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 05:48 PM)wormandbobber Wrote: I wish more were stocked too...but, you have to remember that biologists have to put in quotas in advance. In other words, without the crystal ball of knowing that last winter was going to bring so much good water, the quota was going to be smaller because hatcheries only produce so many and quotas are scheduled prior to the production. With that being said, gill netting numbers last spring were much higher than expected. I bet there are more fish there than you think or realize...and, with lower numbers, growth will be really good. Fishing may be tougher, but sizes are going to be awesome! Those fish that survived the open regulations and low water from two summers ago will be hogs!!

Let's look at how last year's stocking compared to previous years: 2017--about 45,000 bows were stocked and about 27,000, cutts 2018--14,000 bows were stocked, 2019--17,000 bows were stocked and 10,000 browns, 2020--32,000 bows were stocked, 2021--30,000 bows were stocked, 2022--15,000 bows were stocked.  So, last year's trout stocking was higher than any other year in the past 6 other than 2017 when the cutthroat stocking combined with the rainbow trout stocking were higher. And, last year's stocking of rainbow trout was higher than any other year. I'm happy with the 48,000 because it shows that they are trying to up the numbers. Also, those beat up fish were probably extras that were not initially scheduled to be dumped into Minersville. That, too, is a sign that they are trying to increase numbers and is a good thing.

With the high water this past spring the LMB spawn was off the charts,, at least on my end of the lake.

It'll be interesting to see if the LMB spawn will impact the LMB numbers. LMB, in the past, had successful spawns, but those young of the year fish didn't grow large enough by winter to survive until the next spring. I will be curious to see if the DWR has to continue to plant LMB for the population to remain at all viable. My bet is that they will...
...I also believe that 2024 will be a good year at Minersville and am, for one, excited to get out there this spring and summer.
From DWR:
Spring netting surveys are underway in southern Utah! Last week, biologists sampled fish populations in Minersville and Newastle reservoirs. WE caught a lot of rainbow trout in Minersville Reservoir, which was similar to 2020 and 2021 when fishing was outstanding there. Minersville is already at 90% capacity and, with local snowpack over 100%, the fish should continue to thrive....

...I am expecting good fishing at Minersville this year!!
What's the word on Newcastle wab? With all those shiners I have to think trout numbers are down with some fat wipers and smallies.
Trout numbers are down at Newcastle but wipers and smallies should be good. They also netted a fair number of catfish that were stocked in the past couple years...