Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Icing Catfish
I need some help figuring out how to get catfish to bite under the ice.  Been seeing a fair number of fish on the 360 and I was hoping they would be crappie, bass or bluegill,  but they appear to be catfish, since after long trial attempts with no bites, I've finally caught one catfish, and lost one at the hole.  So I'm starting to think that must be what I'm seeing, unless maybe they are carp and cats...  Anyway I have had terrible success rates for the number of hours I've put in and the number of fish that have swam past... I'm trying to get something to bite... So what do you use to get catfish to bite through the ice?  I have caught mine on cutbait on a deadstick, and cutbait on a jigging jaw jacker(wiggle wheel)... I'm thinking the cutbait with little motion is the best thing that I have done, but two or three hours for one bite is not very good success rate... So far I have used my tiny ice jigs, and they just don't hold a catfish very well... Wondering about upsizing the hook so I have a better chance to pull a catfish out of a hole...  But if I upsize, then I'm pretty sure I won't catch any of the panfish... Maybe I go one rod heavy duty and one light for jigging panfish... What are your thoughts?  Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-09-2024, 01:37 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I need some help figuring out how to get catfish to bite under the ice.  Been seeing a fair number of fish on the 360 and I was hoping they would be crappie, bass or bluegill,  but they appear to be catfish, since after long trial attempts with no bites, I've finally caught one catfish, and lost one at the hole.  So I'm starting to think that must be what I'm seeing, unless maybe they are carp and cats...  Anyway I have had terrible success rates for the number of hours I've put in and the number of fish that have swam past... I'm trying to get something to bite... So what do you use to get catfish to bite through the ice?  I have caught mine on cutbait on a deadstick, and cutbait on a jigging jaw jacker(wiggle wheel)... I'm thinking the cutbait with little motion is the best thing that I have done, but two or three hours for one bite is not very good success rate... So far I have used my tiny ice jigs, and they just don't hold a catfish very well... Wondering about upsizing the hook so I have a better chance to pull a catfish out of a hole...  But if I upsize, then I'm pretty sure I won't catch any of the panfish... Maybe I go one rod heavy duty and one light for jigging panfish... What are your thoughts?  Thanks Jeff

I have heard of people using various types of jigging spoons with cutbait for catfish. I have a friend that uses hat technique on Utah Lake all the time with good success. I have never personally tried it though. That is actually one of my my goals for this year. If I figure anything out, I will keep you posted.
(01-09-2024, 02:39 PM)jwaite1985 Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 01:37 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I need some help figuring out how to get catfish to bite under the ice.  Been seeing a fair number of fish on the 360 and I was hoping they would be crappie, bass or bluegill,  but they appear to be catfish, since after long trial attempts with no bites, I've finally caught one catfish, and lost one at the hole.  So I'm starting to think that must be what I'm seeing, unless maybe they are carp and cats...  Anyway I have had terrible success rates for the number of hours I've put in and the number of fish that have swam past... I'm trying to get something to bite... So what do you use to get catfish to bite through the ice?  I have caught mine on cutbait on a deadstick, and cutbait on a jigging jaw jacker(wiggle wheel)... I'm thinking the cutbait with little motion is the best thing that I have done, but two or three hours for one bite is not very good success rate... So far I have used my tiny ice jigs, and they just don't hold a catfish very well... Wondering about upsizing the hook so I have a better chance to pull a catfish out of a hole...  But if I upsize, then I'm pretty sure I won't catch any of the panfish... Maybe I go one rod heavy duty and one light for jigging panfish... What are your thoughts?  Thanks Jeff

I have heard of people using various types of jigging spoons with cutbait for catfish. I have a friend that uses hat technique on Utah Lake all the time with good success. I have never personally tried it though. That is actually one of my my goals for this year. If I figure anything out, I will keep you posted.
Thank you for the tip... I was trying a kastmaster small spoon with cutbait, but didn't have any luck with it, but you reminded me of a trip years ago going with ShawDog and I think he was using a rattle spoon and he got like five cats that day... maybe a little noise in the equation will help..  Thanks for the tip... Jeff
That's what I was gonna say. A guy I watch on Youtube uses cut bait on large visible spoons, usually with a single hook changed out.
(01-09-2024, 03:15 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:

Thank you for the tip... I was trying a kastmaster small spoon with cutbait, but didn't have any luck with it, but you reminded me of a trip years ago going with ShawDog and I think he was using a rattle spoon and he got like five cats that day... maybe a little noise in the equation will help..  Thanks for the tip... Jeff
That was actually the spoon i was thinking of, I just could not remember the name. Thanks for reminding me so that I can add them to my tacklebox for ice season. I am sure that the noise helps. I have also seen the ones that you add the micro glow sticks to be very effective on Youtube University.
(01-09-2024, 03:18 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: That's what I was gonna say.  A guy I watch on Youtube uses cut bait on large visible spoons, usually with a single hook changed out.

I like the single hook idea, seems like the treble hooks are rough on fish when you're releasing them... Only thing I do like with treble is you can bury one hook in the bait and you still have two that can hook the fish... Thank you for passing that info along... Jeff

(01-09-2024, 03:23 PM)jwaite1985 Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 03:15 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:

That was actually the spoon i was thinking of, I just could not remember the name. Thanks for reminding me so that I can add them to my tacklebox for ice season. I am sure that the noise helps. I have also seen the ones that you add the micro glow sticks to be very effective on Youtube University.

I bought some small rattlers last year that aren't part of the lure, I think I'll try to add them to my lure and see if it makes a difference and I have a spoon with those micro glow sticks in it, I haven't ever used one, so I'll have to give one a try and see if it works... Thanks for the tip... Most of the time I'm fishing shallow water during day light so I'm not sure the glow will make a difference, but I have fished just past sunset the last few trips and I think it may be useful on such time frames... Thank you... Jeff
Okay so you guys got me on youtube for my lunchtime, they make it look simple to catch cats through the ice, going to have to try some of the stuff they use and see if i can get it to work for me... Too bad we can't use the live minnows that some of them are using... They make it look really fun... Hope i can figure out the trick to local kitties through the ice... Thanks so much for the tips and recommendations... I'll report back... Later Jeff
(01-09-2024, 07:45 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Okay so you guys got me on youtube for my lunchtime, they make it look simple to catch cats through the ice, going to have to try some of the stuff they use and see if i can get it to work for me... Too bad we can't use the live minnows that some of them are using... They make it look really fun... Hope i can figure out the trick to local kitties through the ice... Thanks so much for the tips and recommendations... I'll report back... Later Jeff

Willard Bay: Silver Rattle Trap, no bait required, may help though.

Newton: Perch Jigging Rap.

Watch for the suspended fish

rj
(01-10-2024, 12:48 AM)Mr. J Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 07:45 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Okay so you guys got me on youtube for my lunchtime, they make it look simple to catch cats through the ice, going to have to try some of the stuff they use and see if i can get it to work for me... Too bad we can't use the live minnows that some of them are using... They make it look really fun... Hope i can figure out the trick to local kitties through the ice... Thanks so much for the tips and recommendations... I'll report back... Later Jeff

Willard Bay: Silver Rattle Trap, no bait required, may help though.

Newton: Perch Jigging Rap.

Watch for the suspended fish

rj
Thanks Richard, I just don’t follow through very well. I had good intentions to try something new tonight, and I did on one rod, but I kept using my tungsten bead on my jigging rod. Didn’t catch a thing until the squall hit and then I got an 11” bass on the bead and crawler. Wind was too wild and was blowing my gear all over so I had to quit after a half hour of watching more and more fish show up. But it was blowing so hard I couldn’t tell if I was getting a bite or not, plus my holes kept filling with snow. So I’ll have to try again. Thank you for the recommendation, I’ll try harder next time. Later Jeff
Jeff, I caught three last year using a silver clam flutter leach with a half chub minnow on the treble. That was the only time I have specifically targeted catfish. I’ve caught others on tungsten jigs tipped with perch belly meat while fishing for panfish.

jack of all tackle, master of none
(01-10-2024, 04:40 PM)joatmon Wrote: Jeff, I caught three last year using a silver clam flutter leach with a half chub minnow on the treble. That was the only time I have specifically targeted catfish. I’ve caught others on tungsten jigs tipped with perch belly meat while fishing for panfish.

Thanks Bret, I sure need to talk myself into using a spoon, I know everyone does well with them, but I just haven't had much success with them in the past, so it's hard to do it for me...  I'm going to learn to do hard things though.. Thanks for the tips and info, I'll sure give it try..  Thanks Jeff
Chub minnow on Quickstrike rig. Vary depth ie electronics!!
As Bob Ross said, sometimes it's just a happy accident.  Hali jig tipped with a wax worm jigging for perch.  Have specifically targeted them a few times but haven't figured it out either.   Still keep trying. 
[Image: 0120131119.jpg]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
(01-10-2024, 11:28 PM)Therapist Wrote: Chub minnow on Quickstrike rig. Vary depth ie electronics!!

That worked on the first one I caught this year. Jaw jacker with a chunk of chub on a small tungsten jig. So good tip, just not a high number of hits. Thanks Jeff

(01-11-2024, 11:42 AM)BRL1 Wrote: As Bob Ross said, sometimes it's just a happy accident.  Hali jig tipped with a wax worm jigging for perch.  Have specifically targeted them a few times but haven't figured it out either.   Still keep trying. 
[Image: 0120131119.jpg]

I’ve caught them while targeting perch at Willard like you mentioned. I’m just hoping for an active count on lure. If possible. Thanks for the suggestion, good to see you’re still on line. Missed you in the cat contest last year. Later Jeff
Look up quickstrike rigs. It is a method usually used for Northerns w/large live bait. Allows the bait to be suspended and move. Totally different than a lure tipped w/meat!!
I caught one while fishing for perch at Willard with a perch Jigging Rap.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks guys, I’ll check those out. Have to google the quick strike, I thought that was like a jaw jacker. Later Jeff