Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slush monster at Pineview
I attempted to fish Pineview this evening ahead of tomorrows storm. It is ugly out there ankle deep slush under several inches of snow. I set up around 3:30 and only made it until 5:30 when I realized the batteries I put in my head lamp where quickly dying and with the super light bite I can’t fish effectively if I can’t see my rod tip. I only caught 6 Crappie in the 2 hours I was there.
(01-12-2024, 01:34 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I attempted to fish Pineview this evening ahead of tomorrows storm. It is ugly out there ankle deep slush under several inches of snow. I set up around 3:30 and only made it until 5:30 when I realized the batteries I put in my head lamp where quickly dying and with the super light bite I can’t fish effectively if I can’t see my rod tip. I only caught 6 Crappie in the 2 hours I was there.

Where did you park?  What depth were you fishing?  Thanks!
Thumbs Up 
That's why good boots are worth every penny. I would say 6 is a win in those conditions. Hopefully the cooler weather will help freeze up the slush.
(01-12-2024, 03:21 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 01:34 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I attempted to fish Pineview this evening ahead of tomorrows storm. It is ugly out there ankle deep slush under several inches of snow. I set up around 3:30 and only made it until 5:30 when I realized the batteries I put in my head lamp where quickly dying and with the super light bite I can’t fish effectively if I can’t see my rod tip. I only caught 6 Crappie in the 2 hours I was there.

Where did you park?  What depth were you fishing?  Thanks!

I parked at Windsurfer beach parking lot, they leave it open all winter, the other option is across from the care takers house by the dam. I was in 55’ of water the fish where stacked from the bottom up to 30’
Heard the slush firmed up today so it may be a go tomorrow-
A couple days ago it was that very unnerving thing where you would crack through the crust on the slush. Every step to fall several inches to the hard ice below.

I've been up there three times and I can't catch anything. I mark a lot of fish but i'm not getting many bites.
(01-14-2024, 04:53 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: A couple days ago it was that very unnerving thing where you would crack through the crust on the slush. Every step to fall several inches to the hard ice below.

I've been up there three times and I can't catch anything. I mark a lot of fish but i'm not getting many bites.

The bite is definitely tough, What works for me is dropping my jig into the school of fish and aggressively jigging it then reeling up a few feet above the school and if fish follow it up I hold my rod dead sticking it and watch my rod tip, if it moves or my line goes slack I lift up and hope my rod loads up if it doesn’t, I drop back down and try again, it is not uncommon to swing and miss several times before I hook up.
Do u have a spring bobber? If not, get one! The bite is so light for crappie, that without a spring bobber, you are probably missing 75% of the bites. Even with a spring bobber, if you hook up 50% of the time, it’s a really good night.
The slush monster is alive and well at Pineview, I went today and we didn't get a bite and didn't see anyone get a bite but it was very slushy. The edges got really bad midday at Cemetery Point.
(01-14-2024, 05:47 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 04:53 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: A couple days ago it was that very unnerving thing where you would crack through the crust on the slush. Every step to fall several inches to the hard ice below.

The bite is definitely tough, What works for me is dropping my jig into the school of fish and aggressively jigging it then reeling up a few feet above the school and if fish follow it up I hold my rod dead sticking it and watch my rod tip, if it moves or my line goes slack I lift up and hope my rod loads up if it doesn’t, I drop back down and try again, it is not uncommon to swing and miss several times before I hook up.

Thanks for the tip. But I have tried all sorts a jigging patterns and cadence, as well as putting it over under and right in the middle of them.

Pine view is the closest thing I have to a home lak. A couple of years I have done literally all my ice fishing at night for crappies. I have lost them for entire years at a time, it seems.  But I can usually make something happen up there,sob I'm already worried.
(01-15-2024, 12:04 AM)cody121ydoc Wrote: The slush monster is alive and well at Pineview, I went today and we didn't get a bite and didn't see anyone get a bite but it was very slushy.  The edges got really bad midday at Cemetery Point.

Please add more details on what you mean by, "The slush monster is alive and well at Pineview...". Thanks