Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solid ice
Could anyone confirm some solid ice around Cache Valley? Was planning to go to Hyrum but the wind this weekend really took a toll on the ice, boat ramp area might be solid enough but would rather give it more time.

Newton, Glendale, Devil Creek, Twin Lake, Foster, etc are other areas I’m wondering about. Not sure if this weekend was as hard on the Idaho lakes as it was on Hyrum.
(01-15-2024, 01:40 AM)Royal_Coachman Wrote: Could anyone confirm some solid ice around Cache Valley? Was planning to go to Hyrum but the wind this weekend really took a toll on the ice, boat ramp area might be solid enough but would rather give it more time.

Newton, Glendale, Devil Creek, Twin Lake, Foster, etc are other areas I’m wondering about. Not sure if this weekend was as hard on the Idaho lakes as it was on Hyrum.

I've read Twin lakes and Newton are frozen.
Newton was good a week ago. I assume it didn’t blow off with a 5” layer of ice. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Do you know if they keep Newton plowed?
(01-15-2024, 01:40 AM)Royal_Coachman Wrote: Could anyone confirm some solid ice around Cache Valley? Was planning to go to Hyrum but the wind this weekend really took a toll on the ice, boat ramp area might be solid enough but would rather give it more time.

They're all froze solid with good ice and slush on top after this past weekend's storm. Glendale was fishing well about a month ago when the ice first came on. I'm sure they are all slush monsters now. I would definitely pack the snowshoes.
Thanks for the info. I ended up at Glendale today. Snowshoes would have been nice to have! Caught about 10 fish just about evenly split between trout, perch, and bass. Perch were all 3-6 inches except for one girthy 9 incher and trout were 12-15”. Bass were on the small side. Fished 9 feet of water from 9am-12pm
(01-15-2024, 10:40 PM)Royal_Coachman Wrote: Thanks for the info. I ended up at Glendale today. Snowshoes would have been nice to have! Caught about 10 fish just about evenly split between trout, perch, and bass. Perch were all 3-6 inches except for one girthy 9 incher and trout were 12-15”. Bass were on the small side. Fished 9 feet of water from 9am-12pm

I'm probably going to try either Glendale or Foster on Wednesday. I'll be sure to pack my snowshoes and travel light. How much snow and slush was on Glendale? Oh and fYI there are some really big perch in Glendale if you can find them. I caught 4 over 12" last fall in my float tube.
That would be awesome to land some perch that size out of there! I’m not great at estimating inches but it was easily 8 inches of snow and 3-4 inches of slush.
(01-15-2024, 03:40 AM)Royal_Coachman Wrote: Do you know if they keep Newton plowed?

Just FYI, years past they haven't plowed any of the parking at Newton, it's a good place to have a 4WD to get in and out of... Other note, was the slush monster was nasty to me yesterday, in fact I went through the ice where it was very strong the last time I was out before the snow storms.. Don't know how or why that happened, but really surprised me when I went through to above my knee before I could jump forward and keep from going through further... We've got about a foot plus of snow in Cache Valley so it's back to a full winter type ice fishing again, but I'm hoping the -17 over night will tack things solid again... so it will be safe real winter ice fishing.... Hope the insulation from the snow doesn't prevent the ice from freezing thick enough... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!