Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skunk with an Attitude
[b]So I've been out of town for a wedding for the last 3-4 days, all that time I was away I was wanting to be back ice fishing, even though it was great to have some time away with my wife... Well yesterday after digging out from all the snow, I hit the pond excited to be on the ice again....  As I was getting on the ice I hit the slush monster at the first step and I guess I have a small leak in my new boots already, so that started things off on a bad note, but I found a platform that got me out of the water and set up... It was so cold that  I needed my bubblers to keep the holes from freezing, so I ran back to my truck and got them, as I was getting back on the ice I fell through and luckily my momentum kept me moving onto the ice in front of me that held up so I only went through to just above my knee which got me a little wetter... But not so much that I couldn't stay.. So I set up and went to fishing...  Well early on I seen a few fish on the 360,  but nothing wanted to grab a hold... Typically later in the day had usually been better for fishing, well not yesterday... The longer I sat, the less fish that showed up anywhere on the 360, I even waited until after sun down and nothing ever showed, and it got so freaking cold, I think I was the coldest I've been in a long time by the time I got off the ice...  Anyway, I think it must have been karma paying me back for wanting to fish when I was away, I think this was the worst fishing trip I've had in a long time... Have to say this time I might have been better off to have stayed home... and that takes a lot for me to say that.... But paid my dues so I'm looking forward to a good trip next time... Later J[/b]
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Hey Jeff, sorry about the rough outing. I'm glad you got back with nothing more that cold extremities. I haven't gotten my first skunk for the year yet. Can't get skunked at home! Mostly working on the boat and tying up gear for the spring. Keep at it and things will get better I'm sure, and keep writing those reports so your warmer weather friends can have something to think about!
Hey Jim, thanks for the thoughts and comments.... I'll be confirming you're decision to skip ice fishing if I have many more trips like that one... Thanks for the support... Later Jeff
Your story made me laugh a little bit, because it sounds like what happens to me sometimes. Unfortunately...when that happens, and I figure I've paid my dues and the next trip ought to be better...I've sometimes found that it's just the first in a long series of mishap trips. Sigh.
Hopefully not the case with you!
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
(01-16-2024, 06:35 PM)N.E.T.O. Wrote: Your story made me laugh a little bit, because it sounds like what happens to me sometimes.  Unfortunately...when that happens, and I figure I've paid my dues and the next trip ought to be better...I've sometimes found that it's just the first in a long series of mishap trips.  Sigh. 
Hopefully not the case with you!

Oh don't scare me like that, I only need one of those kind of trips per year.... Hope it will be a one and done for all that kind of fun...  We'll see if I get to try it again tonight or maybe thursday we'll see what happens... Thanks Jeff
I don t know if this will make you feel any better but my friend and I went duck hunting and he had a brand-new pair of hip boots. When he went to put them on they were both for the left foot. We had a good laugh at the tracks he left in the mud.
Sheesh, hard to believe you put a leg in with the temps being so darn chilly up there. Next time out with make up for it. I predict a big ol bass with give you a fight.
(01-16-2024, 11:08 PM)catdaddygar Wrote: I don t know if this will make you feel any better but my friend and I went duck hunting and he had a brand-new pair of hip boots.  When he went to put them on they were both for the left foot.  We had a good laugh at the tracks he left in the mud.

Oh man that has got to be frustrating, glad he could make them work and not ruin a trip... probably not easy to walk in them that way... Thanks for lightening things up... J

(01-17-2024, 01:01 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Sheesh, hard to believe you put a leg in with the temps being so darn chilly up there. Next time out with make up for it. I predict a big ol bass with give you a fight.

Hey Shawn ya know how much I preach to use a spud bar..... yup I didn't, I just headed out where I knew it was good, I had been out there multiple times this year...  Well for some reason it got thin, there was a lot of water on the surface and maybe that softened the lower ice, I don't know, but I do know the ice was crappy, or else I ate way too much while I was out of town... Anyway it was sure a surprise and not a good one... I thought that was a spot I was safe... Well I didn't go out yesterday since it didn't get above single digits here yesterday and I'm a wimp.... Well I actually had things come up I had to do, but I was a little worried about the cold too, if the fish aren't biting it's no fun to sit in that much cold.... The area I fish isn't good to take a tent or actually more than a bucket, so was kind of glad i was busy... Got a church thing tonight, but maybe Thursday I'll see if your prediction can come true... Sounds good to me... Later Jeff