Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Hyrum Ice Updates.
We're heading up to the Lake tomorrow morning. I'll post once we get back but I was hoping maybe I could get a quick ice update before we hit it.... 
thanks in advance.
I went there yesterday (Monday). The parks has not and will not plow the ramp to access the ice. There is about 2 feet of snow. I asked them to plow it so you didn't have to trudge 75 yards down and back through the knee deep stuff. They said the ramp is rough and tears the plows up. I called bullshit on that. I told them to drop the plow blade and then raise it 1-2" then plow it. The chick looked at me for about 10 seconds just staring, then said, "well we aren't gonna plow it". Ice near the ramp was about 5-6". I then went over to Swim Beach. I could see one guy who was checking the thickness. This guy had on a pair of boots and swim trunks. THAT IS IT! No shirt, pants, clothes, towel...NOTHING! He said it was only about 1.5" thick there and was open water last Friday. He said he swims and yesterday was the first day he couldn't break through the ice to go swimming! He had no car, nothing. I don't know where he came from but he claims he lives in Hyrum. It was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen. No one else was around. Parkees are just idiots over there. Maybe if more anglers complained they might push a path down to the water?? For a $125 pass, you would think they would try to accommodate anglers. In the mean time the park woman was plowing for over 2 hrs in a group campsite that I'm pretty sure no one will use, but they can't push a path down the ramp to the water? As I said.....IDIOTS!
(01-17-2024, 02:00 AM)ReelMasta Wrote: We're heading up to the Lake tomorrow morning. I'll post once we get back but I was hoping maybe I could get a quick ice update before we hit it.... 
thanks in advance.

I would avoid the east end of the lake for sure, like Scott said it was open water not long ago... Try the boat launch area carefully, and it froze really irregularly so it might have thin spots randomly located out in the middle... I'd just be extra vigilant in checking as you go it's not quite ready for prime time...  Lots of new snow last night too, so likely more to trudge through since Scott was there... Good luck and be careful... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks we're heading up from Roy now.   Thanks for the advice I really appreciate that.
(01-17-2024, 01:59 PM)ReelMasta Wrote: Thanks we're heading up from Roy now.   Thanks for the advice I really appreciate that.

Good luck with the drive too, it's pretty snowy in Benson... Later J
(01-17-2024, 02:13 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 01:59 PM)ReelMasta Wrote: Thanks we're heading up from Roy now.   Thanks for the advice I really appreciate that.

Good luck with the drive too, it's pretty snowy in Benson... Later J

Well, you can add another foot of snow on top from last night and this Wednesday morning.  Should be plenty to sink what ice was on much of Hyrum while insulating the rest.
Fished east off of the boat ramp in 45 fow. Started catching perch off the bat but all micro perch.  Ended up with 4 bows for the smoker, all perch returned.
Ice was a good 4" with 12" of snow on top.
Only fished 3 hours but good to get out.
(01-17-2024, 07:21 PM)ReelMasta Wrote: Fished east off of the boat ramp in 45 fow. Started catching perch off the bat but all micro perch.  Ended up with 4 bows for the smoker, all perch returned.
Ice was a good 4" with 12" of snow on top.
Only fished 3 hours but good to get out.

I seen your tent on the damcam and was wondering how it went... Didn't look like you moved, so hope that spot was good to you... How was the slush? Kind of surprised there wasn't more snow...  Were the bows decent sized or less than a footers?  Congrats on the first BFT ice trip at Hyrum this year that I've seen... Glad you stayed top side... Later J
(01-17-2024, 03:24 AM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: I went there yesterday (Monday).  The parks has not and will not plow the ramp to access the ice.  There is about 2 feet of snow.  I asked them to plow it so you didn't have to trudge 75 yards down and back through the knee deep stuff.  They said the ramp is rough and tears the plows up.  I called bullshit on that.  I told them to drop the plow blade and then raise it 1-2" then plow it.  The chick looked at me for about 10 seconds just staring, then said, "well we aren't gonna plow it".  Ice near the ramp was about 5-6".  I then went over to Swim Beach.  I could see one guy who was checking the thickness.  This guy had on a pair of boots and swim trunks.  THAT IS IT!  No shirt, pants, clothes, towel...NOTHING!  He said it was only about 1.5" thick there and was open water last Friday.  He said he swims and yesterday was the first day he couldn't break through the ice to go swimming!  He had no car, nothing.  I don't know where he came from but he claims he lives in Hyrum.  It was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.  No one else was around.  Parkees are just idiots over there.  Maybe if more anglers complained they might push a path down to the water??  For a $125 pass, you would think they would try to accommodate anglers.  In the mean time the park woman was plowing for over 2 hrs in a group campsite that I'm pretty sure no one will use, but they can't push a path down the ramp to the water?  As I said.....IDIOTS!

Scott, tell us what you really think. LOL
[quote pid="1151900" dateline="1705520674"]
All 4 bows were 13ish.
[/quote]
(01-17-2024, 10:51 PM)ReelMasta Wrote: [quote pid="1151900" dateline="1705520674"]
All 4 bows were 13ish.

[/quote]
Thanks, that's not too bad.... When  I seen the dates when they planted them, I was hoping they made it close to 14" for ice fishing, but they had to grow pretty fast to get there... Glad they made it that big... I sure hope they get back in the practice of planting bows in Hyrum, we need some of them somewhere in this part of the state and Hyrum is a good spot for them, they do well in there... Thanks for your report... J