Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use an inline reel?
I just picked up two inline reels.  I have minimal experience with them.  I hate to admit it but I have owned one for years, but never really used it.  I noticed on the reels that there isn't the typical line guide, nor does the spool move in and out like a spinning reel.  I take it that the V shaped extensions on the reel body (see images below) guides the line back onto the reel when reeling.  Is my assumption correct?

[Image: Inline-1.jpg]

[Image: Inline-2.jpg]
There is no "level wind" mechanism on these reels. I found it best to hold the line against the rod handle with one finger when reeling in to provide tension or the line tangles around everything. That's due to cold line being "wiry".

Think of it as a fly fishing reel and you'll do okay.
Hey Kent, I mostly just use mine for panfish anymore.... At one time I was all goo goo for these reels, but I've sort of lost my love for them anymore... I do like the lack of twist in the line and the trigger dropping the line, but they sure don't fit in my rod box very well and I really prefer a regular spinning reel anymore... Especially for big fish and deep fishing... Just my take on them and Rocky did a good job covering how they function... I have a couple reels of this type that the line likes to spill off the side of spool and / or get wrapped around the center shaft and are really frustrating at times.... If I had it to do again, I'd probably only have one or two of them instead of 8-10.... just my take, but I do have some experience with them... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Glad to see others are having the same problems. I bought one this past summer and immediately had the same problem. Nothing but a line nightmare. At first, I thought that it had too much line on it. I had to keep taking the spool off to untangle it. I think that letting the line out slower using the trigger and then doing what Rocky suggested would help. Nothing can be more frustrating than having reel problems while fishing especially if you have a fish on. I've come to the conclusion that I'll stick to using a spinning reel.
I used my inline fishing for panfish in shallow water 15' for less.  I try not to use the trigger to drop the lure, because it caused a mess.  Even if I adjusted the drop speed.  I set my drag and just pull the line out to lower the lure.  This method works best for me.
I had the same problems already mentioned when I had the Eagle Claw and Clam reels.  I now use Fish 13 Black Betty Freefall Ghost reels - ZERO problems.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
In my opinion, inline reels are designed for shallow water presentations, mainly for panfish. I've got several that I love to use for fishing less than 30'. I put 20# dacron backing on them and then add 75-100 ft of 2-6 lb mono or fluoro. They don't have a levelwind because, by design, you never have much line out. I use them for trout, bluegill, crappie, perch, and bass. In the past I've had the line get to the outside and cause problems, but its typically when I get in a hurry and put slack in the line as I start cranking. Best thing I like about them is the reduced line twist (lures don't spin unnaturally) and the large arbor providing a looser coil making for better bite detection. They will always have a place in my arsenal.
It's a fly reel with a larger reel handle pure and simple. Years ago to avoid line twist we actually used fly reels in the midwest. Some requests to manufacturers and voila. Just watch your line on the drop and when reeling it without a fish on the line do what Rocky said. I fish these down to 40 ft with no issue. If targeting lakers/splake/burbot I use compact level wind reels designed for ice fishing. I really avoid line twist whenever I can.
A better option if you want to eliminate line twist would be a cheap Level wind. Bass Pro has one ( https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro...00015551-1) for 30 bucks. Cheap, light weight, has a drag, and the level wind solves the tangle and twist problem. Back it with old line, dacron, etc, and spool your mono or fluro over the top. Cheap, easy, and efficient !!!

PS: If you fish Crappie, it can double as a jig/pole reel during open water !!!
What Bob said is 100% correct.
Smooth as buttah!
I have used them a couple times, the latest was yesterday at Strawberry. I like the drag and I have mixed feelings about now long it takes to lower a lure in less-than-shallow water. I learned my lesson about not letting the spool spin faster than the lure is pulling the line off of the reel.

(01-18-2024, 06:16 PM)Therapist Wrote: A better option if you want to eliminate line twist would be a cheap Level wind.  Bass Pro has one ( https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro...00015551-1) for 30 bucks.  Cheap, light weight, has a drag, and the level wind solves the tangle and twist problem.  Back it with old line, dacron, etc, and spool your mono or fluro over the top.  Cheap, easy, and efficient !!!

PS:  If you fish Crappie, it can double as a jig/pole reel during open water !!!

Looks like that reel would work fine. Please explain why you consider them a better option over an inline reel.
I won't assume to give his opinion, but I will offer a thought or two. I have one rod setup with a baitcaster for larger lures (I use it for bigger trout, bass, walleye). With a levelwind it will manage line retrieval better when fishing deep, but lures still won't descend any faster and it will overrun. The drag might be better depending on quality. A baitcaster has a higher gear ratio for faster retrieval. I personally wouldn't use line less than 8 lb test on a baitcast reel. I'm a bass fisherman (and ice fisher) and can't see 2 lb test working well, but it may since you aren't casting it. My 2 cents.