Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phone Apps for lake contours
I have been using the Navionics phone app for all my ice fishing adventures and have been very successful with it when searching for contours likely to hold perch.  The cost in 2020 & 2021 was $16.  In 2023, it was $22.  Navionics increased the cost to $54 to renew this year.  Ain’t happnin’ for 6 to 8 weeks of use.  What other apps cover most of the Utah reservoir contours and don’t cost over $20 – if any?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
they charge $129 to up date your sd card that goes in your fishfinder and say this is 50% off
Ouch, I like their maps, but not that much.... I'm like you and mainly only use the maps during ice season... Too bad they got greedy... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I have used navionics and found several place that did not match my new garmin. I'm running a Garmin striker 4 on down scan and running my new garmin 7 sv on side scan and mapping together. I'm very happy with this setup.
I intend to continue mapping willard bay it is working very accurately. It does not change when I pass over past mapped areas. It holds my saved spots and is easy to follow.
(01-18-2024, 06:42 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I have used navionics and found several place that did not match my new garmin. I'm running a Garmin striker 4 on down scan  and running my new garmin 7 sv on side scan and mapping together.  I'm very happy with this setup.
I intend to continue mapping willard bay it is working very accurately.  It does not change when I pass over past mapped areas. It holds my saved spots and is easy to follow.
I'm looking for a phone app for ice fishing only.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Hey Bob,
I checked out a bunch of articles about mapping software and there are a lot of choices, but the article that sounded the best recommended C-map as the top choice.  It seems to have decent contour mapping but I haven't paid the $15 a year yet to see if it's any good for lakes we like to fish... The other good one was supposed to be Humminbird Chart Select or FishSmart, but they are for limited lakes and it's fairly expensive if your getting very many lakes... Wouldn't be terrible if you only got a few, but I wasn't sure they had the lakes I wanted... or if my fish finder was a new enough version to use them... Not the best article on explaining what was required to use that one...  Anyway couple things to try... If anyone wants a link to C-map let me know it will give me 6 months of free maps if you sign up for the free version... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-19-2024, 05:50 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Bob,
I checked out a bunch of articles about mapping software and there are a lot of choices, but the article that sounded the best recommended C-map as the top choice.  It seems to have decent contour mapping but I haven't paid the $15 a year yet to see if it's any good for lakes we like to fish... The other good one was supposed to be Humminbird Chart Select or FishSmart, but they are for limited lakes and it's fairly expensive if your getting very many lakes... Wouldn't be terrible if you only got a few, but I wasn't sure they had the lakes I wanted... or if my fish finder was a new enough version to use them... Not the best article on explaining what was required to use that one...  Anyway couple things to try... If anyone wants a link to C-map let me know it will give me 6 months of free maps if you sign up for the free version... Later Jeff
Too late Jeff.   Big Grin

I already ordered a mounting bracket and power only cable for my boats Lowrance Elite 7 Ti.  I am going to mount it on my Snowdog and use it for GPS and mapping data.  I already use the Navionics chip in the Elite ($100/year subscription) and the lake contours in that chip are excellent.  Amazon had both parts for less money than Lowrance and no shipping cost.  Amazon says they will be delivered today - WIN/WIN.
Bob Hicks, from Utah