Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Cisco Run 2024
Hey guys I've been getting several calls today about the cisco run at Bear Lake, so I consulted our experts and got you a little run down...  Word is they are catching a few on the rock pile now while fishing for trout... So that usually means within a week the cisco will hit the beaches...  It actually is looking like next weeks disco may be timed about perfect this year.  Anyway as of today nothing has been coming into the beaches, there's no ice, so plan on watching this post and hopefully Mike and Scott and others will post when any of the fish are showing up  off cisco beach.  If you like to snag them, it sounds like you can start doing that off the rock pile now, but that's about 50' down this year, so may not be a high success rate... they didn't say how often the schools were coming in either, so probably hit and miss...   Plan on your waders this year or however you like to do open water gathering...  And that's about all I know so far... Good luck, but don't plan on tomorrow being the peak of the run, it's still waiting for the first beach day..  Later Jeff

Update: just got a text from Scott, he was on the pile today and said they didn't see any cisco today on the rock pile... So maybe it's not as close as I had hoped... I'll let them get you a better update when they have time... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-20-2024, 01:54 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey guys I've been getting several calls today about the cisco run at Bear Lake, so I consulted our experts and got you a little run down...  Word is they are catching a few on the rock pile now while fishing for trout... So that usually means within a week the cisco will hit the beaches...  It actually is looking like next weeks disco may be timed about perfect this year.  Anyway as of today nothing has been coming into the beaches, there's no ice, so plan on watching this post and hopefully Mike and Scott and others will post when any of the fish are showing up  off cisco beach.  If you like to snag them, it sounds like you can start doing that off the rock pile now, but that's about 50' down this year, so may not be a high success rate... they didn't say how often the schools were coming in either, so probably hit and miss...   Plan on your waders this year or however you like to do open water gathering...  And that's about all I know so far... Good luck, but don't plan on tomorrow being the peak of the run, it's still waiting for the first beach day..  Later Jeff

Update: just got a text from Scott, he was on the pile today and said they didn't see any cisco today on the rock pile... So maybe it's not as close as I had hoped... I'll let them get you a better update when they have time... Later Jeff

We ended up there to day and it sounded like it was slow for most people but I think I ended up with the lucky rod today day I ended up catching 8cutts and 1 smaller laker  today but I didn’t see any Cisco I feel like it will be a little more time before they show up the sheet ice was miserable to try and jig in in the morning hopefully with the warm weather next weekend when I go back up we won’t have to deal with th
[Image: image000001.jpg]

[Image: image000003.jpg]

at
(01-21-2024, 04:08 AM)fearfish Wrote:
(01-20-2024, 01:54 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey guys I've been getting several calls today about the cisco run at Bear Lake, so I consulted our experts and got you a little run down...  Word is they are catching a few on the rock pile now while fishing for trout... So that usually means within a week the cisco will hit the beaches...  It actually is looking like next weeks disco may be timed about perfect this year.  Anyway as of today nothing has been coming into the beaches, there's no ice, so plan on watching this post and hopefully Mike and Scott and others will post when any of the fish are showing up  off cisco beach.  If you like to snag them, it sounds like you can start doing that off the rock pile now, but that's about 50' down this year, so may not be a high success rate... they didn't say how often the schools were coming in either, so probably hit and miss...   Plan on your waders this year or however you like to do open water gathering...  And that's about all I know so far... Good luck, but don't plan on tomorrow being the peak of the run, it's still waiting for the first beach day..  Later Jeff

We ended up there to day and it sounded like it was slow for most people but I think I ended up with the lucky rod today day I ended up catching 8cutts and 1 smaller laker  today but I didn’t see any Cisco I feel like it will be a little more time before they show up the sheet ice was miserable to try and jig in in the morning hopefully with the warm weather next weekend when I go back up we won’t have to deal with th

at

Nice report and good job on your fish. I spent fri and sat on the pile. Never fished bear lake from a boat. I did enjoy the dude who was breaking ice and yelling to the group of 14 boats “what do I do with a tagged fish” . I was wondering if his bilge going off every 4 min had anything to do with his ability to break up the ice??
(01-21-2024, 04:08 AM)fearfish Wrote: We ended up there to day and it sounded like it was slow for most people but I think I ended up with the lucky rod today day I ended up catching 8cutts and 1 smaller laker  today but I didn’t see any Cisco I feel like it will be a little more time before they show up the sheet ice was miserable to try and jig in in the morning hopefully with the warm weather next weekend when I go back up we won’t have to deal with that

Nice looking Mac and cutty, sounds like you had a good day there. I hate jigging when the ice is close around the boat like that. Did you do better in the morning or later in the day?
(01-21-2024, 05:03 PM)Redrebel Wrote:  I spent fri and sat on the pile. Never fished bear lake from a boat. I did enjoy the dude who was breaking ice and yelling to the group of 14 boats “what do I do with a tagged fish” . I was wondering if his bilge going of every 4 min had anything to do with his ability to break up the ice??

Did you have any luck? Not sure if everyone know what they should do when they catch a tagged fish but from talking to Scott, he told us to record the tag number, then measure the fish, then release it, unless you plan on keeping it. The last step is to call the biologist for that lake and report it to them.
(01-21-2024, 05:03 PM)Redrebel Wrote:

at

Nice report and good job on your fish. I spent fri and sat on the pile. Never fished bear lake from a boat. I did enjoy the dude who was breaking ice and yelling to the group of 14 boats “what do I do with a tagged fish” . I was wondering if his bilge going off every 4 min had anything to do with his ability to break up the ice??
The morning seemed to be better but really had to work them and pay attention when they came through the bite was lite and yes the sheet ice is the worst to fish in there

(01-21-2024, 05:03 PM)Redrebel Wrote:

at

Yeah I did some one drive around trying to break up the ice I didn’t ever hear him he was on the other side we stayed in about 70 feet of water on the out side of the group
(01-21-2024, 09:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-21-2024, 05:03 PM)Redrebel Wrote:  I spent fri and sat on the pile. Never fished bear lake from a boat. I did enjoy the dude who was breaking ice and yelling to the group of 14 boats “what do I do with a tagged fish” . I was wondering if his bilge going of every 4 min had anything to do with his ability to break up the ice??

Did you have any luck? Not sure if everyone know what they should do when they catch a tagged fish but from talking to Scott, he told us to record the tag number, then measure the fish, then release it, unless you plan on keeping it. The last step is to call the biologist for that lake and report it to them.
I teamed up with GSP on Friday and he showed me some good spots on bear lake to troll and jig. I had a skunk that day and he got a little cut and a monster bear lake whitefish that I was on standby with the net just in case. I got to pull on an average size laker that pulled off just after I was able to identify him. Gotta pay your dues