Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two go through the ice at Mantua
In case you didn't see this already, sounds like two guys went through the ice at Mantua, here's the link to the story on KSL...
https://www.ksl.com/article/50850695/2-s...-reservoir
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I know of two at LC and 1 at Echo also. But they were not reported and were quickly pulled out. Wierd ice all over. Taking the students to the river and waiting for a better opportunity for them to play on the hard deck
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-20-2024, 03:27 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I know of two at LC and 1 at Echo also. But they were not reported and were quickly pulled out. Wierd ice all over. Taking the students to the river and waiting for a better opportunity for them to play on the hard deck

Smart move Cowboy. I'm sure their parents appreciate your concern for their safety. Good on you sir.
(01-20-2024, 03:27 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I know of two at LC and 1 at Echo also. But they were not reported and were quickly pulled out. Wierd ice all over. Taking the students to the river and waiting for a better opportunity for them to play on the hard deck

There was one at Strawberry a couple weeks ago also, it's been a wild winter and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of those... This year is not typical by any means the ice is crappy this year, I expect to go through anytime I'm out this year... I'm using my spud again each trip, but the bad spots are small this year, so it's very possible to be using a spud and still go through... Not a good ice year for sure... Good luck on the river.. Later J
(01-20-2024, 02:16 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: In case you didn't see this already, sounds like two guys went through the ice at Mantua, here's the link to the story on KSL...

One key detail was that these were guys on snowmobile's, not on foot. But still. 

Looks like I might actually make a few bows this winter. Maybe even get the garage clean.
(01-20-2024, 04:04 AM)Springbuck1 Wrote:
(01-20-2024, 02:16 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: In case you didn't see this already, sounds like two guys went through the ice at Mantua, here's the link to the story on KSL...

One key detail was that these were guys on snowmobile's, not on foot. But still. 

Looks like I might actually make a few bows this winter. Maybe even get the garage clean.

I was wondering if they were on the same snowmobile or if two snowmobiles went through the ice... Didn't see that detail in the story, but either way it was scary for them... I know I'm still not even close to wanting to take my snowmobile out.  A snowmobile means you're not going to be checking the ice thickness as you go, so you better have a good minimum of 6" of ice before you take them out, and then you still have to worry about the unplanned thin spots... this just isn't a good year for ice fishing... but sure is lucky they got out, it could have been a tragedy easy enough.. After talking with FatBiker about his experience a couple years ago, I feel bad for anyone that has to go through that experience... Later J
EVERY year at that pond.
A man needs to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing! 
(01-21-2024, 02:32 AM)lavaman Wrote: EVERY year at that pond.

It’s got the most inconsistent ice around. I don’t doubt it would have the reputation as a good spot to go through the ice.
I was fishing it one time years ago when a school bus pulled up and a crowd of teens swarmed out onto the ice from the boat ramp. They all milled around together and one group of five or six decided to see if ice was like a trampoline. They all started jumping up in unison as if they were trying to break through. This right where one of the better-known springs always thins the ice.

Idiotic teens being teens. Luckily, the ice held, but I was sure a rescue was imminent.