Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch eye extraction tools
I have been missing my perch-eye-extraction tool, ever since the one I purchased, many years ago, rusted away.  I purchased some stainless steel wire, so I won't have a rusting issue with the ones that I made. 

[Image: Perch-tools.jpg]
Let us know how they work. I've seen a modified potato peeler used for the same purpose. I have no success with the thumbnail method either because my nails are too short. I'd love to get something that works rather than trying to use my filet knife for that purpose. I end up popping half of the eyes I attempt to extract with my knife.
Looks good Kent, the last one I got, was made by Dale, he is a BFT member and a one time mod.
Paper clips are cheap. Glue the big end into a dowel. Done.
(01-21-2024, 10:58 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Paper clips are cheap. Glue the big end into a dowel. Done.
I have one that somebody gave me on the ice that was a 223 brass case with the mouth pinched onto a paper clip and then soldered to hold it in place.  
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have used one with a small loop of wire formed into an eye. I heated the tail end up and inserted it into a 3" piece of plastic coat hangar. Works like a charm! A lot easier than using a dowel, glue, etc.
What's wrong w/ just using your hook???
(01-22-2024, 03:57 PM)Therapist Wrote: What's wrong w/ just using your hook???
Not a thing - if you can make it work for you.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-21-2024, 05:21 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: Let us know how they work. I've seen a modified potato peeler used for the same purpose. I have no success with the thumbnail method either because my nails are too short. I'd love to get something that works rather than trying to use my filet knife for that purpose. I end up popping half of the eyes I attempt to extract with my knife.

Tried it today, at Pineview, and it worked great.
(01-21-2024, 03:57 PM)Kent Wrote: I have been missing my perch-eye-extraction tool, ever since the one I purchased, many years ago, rusted away.  I purchased some stainless steel wire, so I won't have a rusting issue with the ones that I made. 

[Image: Perch-tools.jpg]

Great idea.  I had purchased similar tools many years ago and they would all inevitably rust.
(01-26-2024, 10:53 PM)Kent Wrote:
(01-21-2024, 05:21 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: Let us know how they work. I've seen a modified potato peeler used for the same purpose. I have no success with the thumbnail method either because my nails are too short. I'd love to get something that works rather than trying to use my filet knife for that purpose. I end up popping half of the eyes I attempt to extract with my knife.

That comment has me assuming you cut some fish worth plucking the eye out of to get more fish. 

Are they finally biting at Pineview?
(01-26-2024, 11:43 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote:
(01-26-2024, 10:53 PM)Kent Wrote:

That comment has me assuming you cut some fish worth plucking the eye out of to get more fish. 

Are they finally biting at Pineview?

We caught 11 perch and 23 crappie.  Had I not messed up and fished the wrong places, during the prime early hours, we would have done much better.
Thanks for the update. I think I'll make some. Did you drill and glue to secure the wire in the dowel?
(01-29-2024, 02:53 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: Thanks for the update. I think I'll make some. Did you drill and glue to secure the wire in the dowel?

Yes, I drilled two small holes and applied epoxy.
Great. Thanks for posting!
I’ve found that extracting perch eyes is similar to caping an animal (much easier, of course). As long as I use a short-bladed, sharp knife and cut well inside the eye socket, the eyes pop out great. If I don’t and make my cut too shallow, it’s a mess with a popped eyeball.
This is my easy and effective way to make eyeball extractors. Getting ready to go to fishlake. made a few for the crew. I take the paper clip and put the small end all the way down in the 30.06 shell. Then with Pin nose pliers I mash the appropriate end to the right sixe loop of the paper clip I then take tie wire and wrap and make a ring to put on my lanyard. Good Luck. Tight Lines PM
[Image: eyeball-detacher.jpg]
This is the one I made from an old measuring spoon. I ground down the scoop part and ended up with the one in the picture. Just make sure you ask for permission from your kitchen queen before grinding down any kitchen items.  This is a 1/16 and 1/8 tsp measuring spoon.
[Image: 1893-DC9-A-8-D0-C-42-C5-B1-B3-01412-FA7-...-102-a.jpg]
(01-31-2024, 04:35 AM)kastmaster Wrote: This is the one I made from an old measuring spoon. I ground down the scoop part and ended up with the one in the picture. Just make sure you ask for permission from your kitchen queen before grinding down any kitchen items.  This is a 1/16 and 1/8 tsp measuring spoon.
[Image: 1893-DC9-A-8-D0-C-42-C5-B1-B3-01412-FA7-...-102-a.jpg]

Interesting idea George.  I trust that it works.
All great ideas. It seems I over designed mine (don’t tell my wife, she already says I over do everything). Flat copper wire with a 3D printed handle. Been working great for 3 seasons.
[Image: IMG-1300.jpg]