Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard bay marina ice?
Has anyone been to see the north and south marinas this weekend? I'd love to know if the ice is gone or maybe it's soft enough to breakup.
(01-22-2024, 02:12 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Has anyone been to see the north and south marinas this weekend? I'd love to know if the ice is gone or maybe it's soft enough to breakup.

I drove up to have a look at the south marina. The drive in is horrible and there is ice in the marina. I got stuck in the snow/ice and I have all wheel drive. Luckily I was pushed out by a state park worker who was up there with a plow truck.
Gabe
(01-23-2024, 03:42 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(01-22-2024, 02:12 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Has anyone been to see the north and south marinas this weekend? I'd love to know if the ice is gone or maybe it's soft enough to breakup.

I drove up to have a look at the south marina. The drive in is horrible and there is ice in the marina. I got stuck in the snow/ice and I have all wheel drive. Luckily I was pushed out by a state park worker who was up there with a plow truck.
Gabe

Gabe, is there ice on the main water body?  Anyone ice fishing?  I checked here yesterday after thinking the ice was about gone for the year and found a surprise, there is probably 7-8" of ice... The top couple inches are crap, but there were probably 6" of decent ice underneath that.. It could last a little longer than I thought it would...  Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I just drove by the North marina. It is still ice covered. I went out on the launch dock with a snow scraper to check the ice thickness. It was a lot thicker than I thought it would be. Someone drilled several holes  along the edge of the dock at the edge of the ice. I only checked the thickness at the end of the dock at a hole 4" from melted edge of ice. I guessamate it was 3", so probably thicker away from the edge. All the ice was glazed and saturated with air bubbles. No one was on the ice and no trace of footprints. Smart!
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Hue, I appreciate the information... Did you notice the main lake? Is it around the same condition as the marina? I'll probably stop in tomorrow on my way home from work... Hope it gets cold tonight so it's thicker tomorrow... Maybe I'll throw my gear in the car just in case... Later J
(01-23-2024, 04:07 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(01-23-2024, 03:42 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:

Gabe

Gabe, is there ice on the main water body?  Anyone ice fishing?  I checked here yesterday after thinking the ice was about gone for the year and found a surprise, there is probably 7-8" of ice... The top couple inches are crap, but there were probably 6" of decent ice underneath that.. It could last a little longer than I thought it would...  Later Jeff

I didn't see ice on the main water body. There were two guys on the ice at the south marina. I didn't check the ice thickness. The water is coming in pretty good at the gates, so the inlet is ice free.
Gabe
Thanks Gabe, appreciate the update... guess it's okay I forgot my auger today then if there isn't any ice anyway... Thank you... Jeff